Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manlet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If that's how you want to justify it, then fine. Whatever helps you.

Does starting a thread about short people help you? How tall are you, incidentally?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Agreed that it is not always beneficial to be taller. But if you were to apply the benefits of being tall/short across the spectrum of sports, the benefits of being tall would outweigh the benefits of being short.

Agreed, but not to the extent you were making out previously.

Saying "taller people are better at sport" isn't anywhere close to being accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Sniggering at other men because they are shorter than what you decide to be acceptable? And going on and on about it?

Worse again, flouncing around convinced you are 'better' than everyone shorter than you?

That's class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Unless you are in the .00001% of the world's population that is a professional athlete - who cares about whether being taller or shorter gives you an advantage in sport?

If you aren't a pro, particularly if you are 25+, all you need to do is actually train/practice and you'll be able to more than compensate. I stayed active after college by doing club sports/pick-up games with co-workers and half of them are overweight. The bar is set pretty low.

Most people have regular jobs - and there is a positive correlation between height and income (note that there is a difference between correlation and causation). There is also a positive correlation between:

Race and income
    Gender and income
    Education and income
    Social-economic background and income
    Attractiveness and income
    BMI (obesity) and income

So, again, if you didn't understand correlation and this bothered you, you'd want to make sure you are white, male, holding a PhD, with rich parents - raised in a nice neighbourhood, with a pretty face, who isn't overweight.

Race and Gender are the toughest ones.
    Attractiveness, particularly for guys, is tough - but you can compensate by being well groomed and dressing well.

For most guys, between buying shoes designed to make you taller and changing your hairstyle - you can easily appear 3-4" taller.

Of course correlation != causation. I've looked more closely at male vs. female studies and, inevitably, as you account for more and more variables, the pay gap all but vanishes *(but I don't want to derail this thread. If you don't believe me Google a few times). For example, studies have shown that women tend to be worse negotiators. That doesn't mean 'the man' is paying them less, it means, when they were offered the job, they took it and their male coworker negotiated. Most statistics on male and female earnings won't consider differences in ability, because that's hard to measure.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar patterns emerged with height.

It's also worth noting that amounts we're talking about aren't incredibly large either. The shortest quarter of men earn 10% less than the tallest. And that's 10% pre-tax, so in a country like Ireland, for moderately high earners, the difference between being 'very short' (by internet standards - well below the manlet cutoff) and being 'quite tall' would be ~5% in take home pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

This was done before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90057526

Such threads are a good c**t filter. And I'm not talking about short men.

If small man syndrome exists, then so does tall man syndrome, any kind of syndrome. It's difficult for some people not to box others off though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I think I have Napoleon syndrome as I want to find the OP and kick his little penis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭JonKelleher

RayM wrote: »
    Does starting a thread about short people help you? How tall are you, incidentally?

6'2. It doesn't help me Ray. I just got sick of manlets, and was curious as to whether other people share my disdain. Evidently, they do.

Agreed, but not to the extent you were making out previously.

Saying "taller people are better at sport" isn't anywhere close to being accurate.

It's a generalisation.

I think I have Napoleon syndrome as I want to find the OP and kick his little penis.

Okay stumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

My last boss had short-man-syndrome. Strange thing was he was about 6'2".

EDIT: just realised he was simply an ass. Sorry. Carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Why not just leave the poor little twonks alone? I would've thought a "manlet" was a combination manifold and inlet, some sort of Unit Injection job. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Magaggie wrote: »
    This was done before: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=90057526

Such threads are a good c**t filter. And I'm not talking about short men.

If small man syndrome exists, then so does tall man syndrome, any kind of syndrome. It's difficult for some people not to box others off though.

I hadn't the heart to go looking for that head-desking thread, but I did think of it. Odd that if shorter men are over-compensating try-hards they're not the ones who start threads to **** for attention like chimps in a zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

Have a hard time believing a woman would want to mate with a man if he was under 5'9'', unless he was incredibly rich. Nobody wants to hand their kids the short gene.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Unless you are in the .00001% of the world's population that is a professional athlete - who cares about whether being taller or shorter gives you an advantage in sport?

If you aren't a pro, particularly if you are 25+, all you need to do is actually train/practice and you'll be able to more than compensate. I stayed active after college by doing club sports/pick-up games with co-workers and half of them are overweight. The bar is set pretty low.

Most people have regular jobs - and there is a positive correlation between height and income (note that there is a difference between correlation and causation). There is also a positive correlation between:

Race and income
    Gender and income
    Education and income
    Social-economic background and income
    Attractiveness and income
    BMI (obesity) and income

So, again, if you didn't understand correlation and this bothered you, you'd want to make sure you are white, male, holding a PhD, with rich parents - raised in a nice neighbourhood, with a pretty face, who isn't overweight.

Race and Gender are the toughest ones.
    Attractiveness, particularly for guys, is tough - but you can compensate by being well groomed and dressing well.

For most guys, between buying shoes designed to make you taller and changing your hairstyle - you can easily appear 3-4" taller.

Of course correlation != causation. I've looked more closely at male vs. female studies and, inevitably, as you account for more and more variables, the pay gap all but vanishes *(but I don't want to derail this thread. If you don't believe me Google a few times). For example, studies have shown that women tend to be worse negotiators. That doesn't mean 'the man' is paying them less, it means, when they were offered the job, they took it and their male coworker negotiated. Most statistics on male and female earnings won't consider differences in ability, because that's hard to measure.

I wouldn't be surprised if similar patterns emerged with height.

It's also worth noting that amounts we're talking about aren't incredibly large either. The shortest quarter of men earn 10% less than the tallest. And that's 10% pre-tax, so in a country like Ireland, for moderately high earners, the difference between being 'very short' (by internet standards - well below the manlet cutoff) and being 'quite tall' would be ~5% in take home pay.

Great argument, completely agree it is only a factor.

urabell wrote: »
    Have a hard time believing a woman would want to mate with a man if he was under 5'9'', unless he was incredibly rich. Nobody wants to hand their kids the short gene.

They say the small jockey do have the big whip, bah! ;)

Ditto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

jimgoose wrote: »
    Why not just leave the poor little twonks alone? I would've thought a "manlet" was a combination manifold and inlet, some sort of Unit Injection job. :)

Been a while since fuel injectors were mounted halfway up the manifold:D

Either ports or head now:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I've, erm, mated with two that I can recall. Neither of em rich, and both pretty good in bed as it happened. Don't think women give as much of a crap about the short gene, so really it's surprising that men are mating with short women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Have a hard time believing a woman would want to mate with a man if he was under 5'9''
    What's so small about 5' 9"? :confused:
    I'm less than 5' 5" and I'm not even small (for a woman). 5' 9" seems grand and tall to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

6'2. It doesn't help me Ray. I just got sick of manlets, and was curious as to whether other people share my disdain. Evidently, they do.

Most people here seem to think you're being very silly.

I think that probably says quite a lot about your attitude towards women.

• Advertisement

I've, erm, mated with two that I can recall. Neither of em rich, and both pretty good in bed as it happened. Don't think women give as much of a crap about the short gene, so really it's surprising that men are mating with short women.

That's why you are so defensive of them. Your progeny will be short too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I've never mated for gene-swapping purposes, but I have found some shorter gentleman quite a turn-on for all other sexy reasons. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Great argument, completely agree it is only a factor.

Things are bad when the two of ye are agreeing with each other

That's why you are so defensive of them. Your progeny will be short too.

Has a lot to do with it yeah, your shíte talking and nastiness is the main reason though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

http://i.imgur.com/HbwHN0T.jpg

Manlets, when will they learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭LiveIsLife

I'd imagine the op has some serious self-esteem issues.
    Completely agree. I could think of nothing worse, you've lost the genetic lottery.

Unless you're Brad Pitt you've lost the genetic lottery (although maybe he's too short). I'm sure people could pick apart several physical faults with you that weren't 'ideal', not to mention how dull and fragile your personality must be.

As for some of the comments on this thread, if you said black people get angry because of their skin colour or people wouldn't want to mate with them because they wouldn't want their children getting the black gene you'd be banned for racism. Says a lot more about the person doing the criticizing rather than whoever they feel the need to criticize.

Muise... wrote: »
    I've never mated for gene-swapping purposes, but I have found some shorter gentleman quite a turn-on for all other sexy reasons. :)

Put that dwarf down, you marauding valkyrie!! :)

LiveIsLife wrote: »
    I'd imagine the op has some serious self-esteem issues.

Unless you're Brad Pitt you've lost the genetic lottery (although maybe he's too short). I'm sure people could pick apart several physical faults with you that weren't 'ideal', not to mention how dull and fragile your personality must be.

As for some of the comments on this thread, if you said black people get angry because of their skin colour or people wouldn't want to mate with them because they wouldn't want their children getting the black gene you'd be banned for racism. Says a lot more about the person doing the criticizing rather than whoever they feel the need to criticize.

Ray? Is that you Ray?

Has a lot to do with it yeah, your shíte talking and nastiness is the main reason though :)

And the fact that your progeny are going to be short too.

• Advertisement

And the fact that your progeny are going to be short too.

I heard you the first time dear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement