Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did prams turn into "travel systems"?!

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't it seem mad to fork out €1000 (or so) up front compared to when you used to just get your car seat and pram first, and then later on you'd get a buggy when needed.

And is it just me or do a lot of parents "have to buy the travel system new". What's wrong with second hand?
    "oh but we want the new bugaboo* in the new colour"

*my bad, bugaboo are probably way out of fashion now (ha! Kind of answering my own question there!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

amdublin wrote: »
    Doesn't it seem mad to fork out €1000 (or so) up front compared to when you used to just get your car seat and pram first, and then later on you'd get a buggy when needed.

And is it just me or do a lot of parents "have to buy the travel system new". What's wrong with second hand?
    "oh but we want the new bugaboo* in the new colour"

*my bad, bugaboo are probably way out of fashion now (ha! Kind of answering my own question there!)

Second hand Britax with base, stroller seat and carry-cot for €60.
    Carseat from Kiddicare on sale for €30.
    It's our first as well. Tbh I find a lot of the really expensive "systems" look incredibly tacky and some of the colour choices hurt my eyes!

In saying that, a lot of them do have features that I can see would benefit those who have the money to spend on them, eg holding two children, having carrycots that can be used as car seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When we had number 1 it was a pram, by the time number 2 came along it was a travel system. It felt like I was buying a car with all the gadgets and gizmos, all I wanted was a thing for the child that could fold up easily enough. Parenting is a huge money maker, its totally preying on people's fears and vulnerabilities. Half the stuff in Mothercare is a load of crap - baby wipe warmer anyone?. I got my buggy on sale for about 200 euros which was a lot and nearly killed me to pay even though its normal retail price was over 500, no way would I pay that kind of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

eviltwin wrote: »
    baby wipe warmer anyone?.

Shut up and take my money!

Seriously, that's not a thing, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

catallus wrote: »

It is, we saw it the last day we went in to look at breast pumps.
    Now I've seen everything.
    There's even electric systems to make formula bottles for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Baby wipe warmer.... ROFL!

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It is, we saw it the last day we went in to look at breast pumps.
    Now I've seen everything.

You are actually kidding me!!!???

catallus wrote: »

Yep, it is, I wish it was a joke but they do exist complete with some emotional blackmail of a message on the front about how you need to have this or your a terrible parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I bought the pram I liked. It happens to be a travel system too. Yeah it was expensive but it's used every day and it's versatile and comfortable. I bought a cheap stroller but never used it much and because I prefer the nice pram I use it more. It's like anything else. If you like and you want it and you can afford it, who cares. A lot of the cheaper buggies don't look particularly comfortable or aren't parent facing for newborns.

Yep, it is, I wish it was a joke but they do exist complete with some emotional blackmail of a message on the front about how you need to have this or your a terrible parent.

I must have missed that! My "system" didn't come with any messages apart from the instruction manual.

lazygal wrote: »
    I must have missed that! My "system" didn't come with any messages apart from the instruction manual.

No that was the baby wipe warmer.

• Advertisement

OMG! I've heard it all now.... I prefer my bum warm not cold thank you.... Christ who would buy this??...

No that was the baby wipe warmer.

Oh ok! Wipe warmer, what a waste. Glad I use cloth wipes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Sligo1 wrote: »
    OMG! Christ who would buy this??...

Is it weird that I'm intrigued by the idea of getting one, just so I could say I own one!?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I've been using baby wipes as make-up wipes for years.

I feel quite cheated now that I've been missing out on this warmer.

My face cheeks need it just as much as my baby's arse cheeks.

(Yes I'm also ROFLing.)

I wonder if they sell toilet paper warmers also?.... I could do with one.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I had a moment where I seriously considered the wipe warmer I have to admit. New baby is much more of a sensitive princess than the last lady. Mega complaints about a cold wipe. I only realised it when I was at a pals house and she showed me her wipe warmer, and I used a warm wipe on the baby. It was the one and only non-screechy nappy change up until the weather got a bit warmer.

I couldn't do it though. Stuck with the chilly wipes. Poor kid, probably traumatised for life!

On travel systems, it didn't suit us. Too bulky. Never had one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I wonder if they sell toilet paper warmers also?.... I could do with one.....

No warmers, but they do sell toilet paper cooling things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I admit to rinsing out my baby wipes in warm water (I have a top & tail bowl by the change mat and I rinse out all my baby wipes!) I wouldn't buy a wipe warmer though!

As regards travel systems, I had a really nice system that was stolen when my car got nicked. I bought a cheap system to replace it, and I HATED it. It felt cheap, plastic, rattley. Whenever I brought my son for a walk his bones shook. I ended up purchasing the original buggy that I'd had nicked, and I'm so much happier with it, and so is my son. I do have a really cheap stroller for very quick trips or for travelling (I don't mind throwing a €20 buggy on a plane!) but I wouldn't use it for any length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wipe warmer... jesus.

On the travel system... I guess they became travel systems when they began being transformers. My first travel system was a yellow neonato 3in1 type thing. My partner called it Bumblebee because it was that big. I now have Bumblebee II because I have a yellow and black Mamas & Papas Luna... my dream buggy that I'm thinking of trading in for something lighter and smaller to fit in my car :o (Don't tell himself, he'll kill me).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Baby wipe warmers are nothing, what about the Peepee Teepee. Tiny little cotton cones that you put over your son's penis during nappy changes so that if he pees it doesn't hit you in the face. Now there's an essential product all parents need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

iguana wrote: »
    Baby wipe warmers are nothing, what about the Peepee Teepee. Tiny little cotton cones that you put over your son's penis during nappy changes so that if he pees it doesn't hit you in the face. Now there's an essential product all parents need.

But that's what you do with a baby wipe, drape it over!

Oh wait - does it need to be a warm wipe?!! :P

I never forget the first time my son caught me out with that - I got such a fright that I let out a little scream which startled him and he started crying!!

iguana wrote: »

Lol... I actually could've done with this!! The amount of times T squirted me in the eye was ridiculous!!! Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We never did any research on travel systems and got the one that was expensive since it must be good. Right? :D Anyway it is grand, too bulky and clumsy for in and out of the car but great for the forest paths where we go for a walk. I picked up Quinny Zapp later because it was recommended to me for traveling. And it's perfect for being thrown around airports and for going around the town. Both survived two kids so the cost is not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Umm... I want some Peepee Teepee's... seriously the amount of times Luke has pee'd in my face already and he's only just three months... It's like he waits until I take the nappy off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I hate buggies/prams/travel systems/pushchairs. What ever you like to call them. Ive had 5 and still havent found one i love.
    First was huge travel system i hated it. Couldnt get through shops or get it in and out of the car.
    So i bought a stroller. Gave this to SIL when she was minding baba when i went back to work.
    So then sold the first one and bought a 2 in 1 travel system . Car seat and umbrella fold pram. This is fine i suppose. Then had to buy a double but find it so big and bulky have to take the wheels off to get it into the boot. Then acquired (for free) a three wheel single. Out of all those theres none i "love". Tbh. Ive a 2 yr old and 3 month old . I find single stroller handy popping in and outbof shops the odd time but prefer to let 2 yr old walk and have baba in sling. Single 3 wheel handy for forrest walks. 2in 1 travel system hardly used as baba too heavey to lift in the car seat so have a rear facing car seat that stays in the car will probably sell it. Double is used occasionly when im going on a long walk. Will prob use more in winter. I just hate buggies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

January wrote: »
    Umm... I want some Peepee Teepee's... seriously the amount of times Luke has pee'd in my face already and he's only just three months... It's like he waits until I take the nappy off.

Someone told me that they get the urge to pee once the air hits their bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

E has stopped aiming for me and instead goes for any bit of uncovered furniture... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭FactCheck

I think the wipe warmer is targeted at people whose baby wakes regularly in the middle of the night looking for a nappy change, and is woken up fully by the cold wipes.

That would be hell, knowing you were going to be woken every night. I'd happily spend a tenner trying warm wipes to see if that could buy me full nights' sleep for the future.

Never had to worry about it, they both went through the night in one nappy from early on.

But sure if they have the money and want to spend it I'm not going to judge!

Indeed the thought occurs that in our parents' day it was baby wipes themselves that were seen as wanton extravagance. "Sure you have cotton wool - what would you be spending all that money on wet wipes for."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Haha I actually contemplated the warm wipes the other day too. New arrival doesn't like the cold and really does protest. But bad mammy that I am, he will just have to suffer on 😀😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I want a wipe warmer! My sleepy baby wakes up as soon as the cold wipe hits his bum! Also peepee teepees! I'm sick of being peed on :D

Advertisement