Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon 700D

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a Canon 700D through Pixmania. When I search for the camera these were 3 of the options available. The spec is the same on these 3 cameras but the prices vary greatly. Why is this? Will I be hit with any additional charges if I go for the cheapest option here. Are there any disadvantages to going with the cheaper option rather than a more expensive option. I have priced this camera on other sites and the prices of €619 is very competitive and would make me a bit suspicious.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

With a camera there can be variations in the 'kit' that's included in the box. If there is a big variation in the price, make sure that the 'kit lens' is a genuine Canon lens and not an independent brand like Tokina, Tamron or Sigma.

Pixmania used to be owned by DSG, the parent company of Dixons/PC World. It was originally an independent mail order company based in France and started off selling digital cameras (hence the name) but later branched out into selling gadgets of all sorts. After they were bought by DSG the support centre was moved to Romania and there have been some reports here of less than satisfactory customer service when things went wrong. DSG sold it off to a German company in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mooro

coylemj wrote: »
    With a camera there can be variations in the 'kit' that's included in the box. If there is a big variation in the price, make sure that the 'kit lens' is a genuine Canon lens and not an independent brand like Tokina, Tamron or Sigma.

Pixmania used to be owned by DSG, the parent company of Dixons/PC World. It was originally an independent mail order company based in France and started off selling digital cameras (hence the name) but later branched out into selling gadgets of all sorts. After they were bought by DSG the support centre was moved to Romania and there have been some reports here of less than satisfactory customer service when things went wrong. DSG sold it off to a German company in 2013.

Thanks for that. I've bought stuff from Pixmania before and had no issue but nothing as expensive as a camera. I went back and had a look and all 3 Cameras have the same spec Canon Kit lens. The cheapest one at €619 appears to be coming from Italy and the most expensive at €978 seems to be shipping from Athlone. Just seems odd that there would be such a difference in price for basically the same model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Pixmania now seem to include third party sellers as well as selling themselves. Kinda like Amazon except with crap customer service. The different prices of 700D seem to be from these third party sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭rock22

I can't say about the Canon camera, but I was looking at a Nikon camera and noticed this type of variation in price too on both Ebay and Amazon.I haven't looked on Pixmania.

from what i can see, the cheaper prices are "grey imports". i.e. they are brought into EU by sellers from China or other countries where the price is cheaper. The dearer prices are from the normal Nikon importer.

It could be something similar for your Canon camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's no different to the multitude of prices for any item on Amazon. Third party suppliers from many sources.

• Advertisement
Advertisement