Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much for a website

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭

How much would it cost for a website? Cheaper the better
    what other costs would I be looking at? Domain name, <mod snip> etc?

Mod edit: No discussion of hosting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

Domains are typically cheap enough, between €10 and €20 euro ish.

Hosting is another one alright, though you can get reasonable entry level packages for ten or fifteen euros a month, which will include email addresses and the like usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The crowd I use charge $47 per annum for their mid-tier offering which gives one domain (.com, .net, .org etc), 100 email accounts, unlimited web disk space for hosting your web site and various other bits and pieces (including servers that use SSDs only). I've used this service for the last three years and find them pretty good - there may be better deals so shop around first.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

That seems a touch on the dear side but you are getting some nice features for it.

Also word to the wise but im pretty sure boards disallow discussion of specific hosting providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think the OP is looking for the price of designing a website. This is completely variable depending on what you're looking for in the website.

A basic 4-5 page static website could cost anywhere from €200-400 depending on the company, excluding hosting. Anything else would have to be worked out specifically for what you want.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

For designing a website, the answer is really 'the length of a piece of string'. For even a basic website it could be anywhere between a few hundred or thousands. It depends on what you are trying to achieve and what requirements you have. There's a good thread here which should help: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056283992 Add SEO and Responsive Design to the checklist in my post#2.

Your biggest problem is choosing some one who can do more than talk the talk. There's a hell of a lot more needed to produce a top quality web presence as opposed to just a website and far too many so-called web designers won't cut the mustard because it's a very low barrier to entry industry. Beware of confusing a cheap price with value. There's a saying along the lines: the money you save by going with the cheapest price can become the most expensive mistake you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭MyBusinez.com

If you are trying to get a website built you are most likely going to get a better service at a higher price. The problem with lower priced websites is that there is little money for planning, updates, fixes, tech support or an experienced professional service. I have seen websites stop dead due to the fact that there is no more money in the pot for development.

Everyone has budget constraints but if you don't invest the money you won't get a website that is going to yield a financial return for you. Don't let a nice looking website design blind you to the fact that this website may make 0euro return over the next year. If you plan the website, come up with revenue streams as well as a call to action for the website visitor you have a better chance of making a good return on your financial investment.

I've seen websites make 0euro and I've seen websites make 40,000euro per month. It is all down to how the website is planned and built. You have to be thinking about how the visitor is going to use your website, how they are going to get in touch and why they would want to get in touch with and buy from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Agree with the two previous posts.

But if you're really looking for cheap, you can do it yourself in Blogger for free. Or for the price of a custom domain if you want to be mySite.com rather than mySite.blogspot.com (quoted above as approx $10-20 per year - which is consistent with my experience). And it does not need to look like a blog - ref http://blogger-hints-and-tips.blogspot.com/2012/11/use-blogger-to-make-a-website.html

(You can do it for free or very cheap using various other tools, too, but this is the one I know and can definitely recommend, to people who aren't just looking to make spam-sites.)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

I think the key is to decide how much time you are willing to put into it YOURSELF. Because web designers usually create a good-looking website, however, unless you buy a "content writing" package it's your responsibility to provide texts and images.

You could hire somebody to write content for you but unless it's a really professional writer who will work with you (and you will need to spend some time on that, anyway), they won't be able to grasp the concept of your business and the way you treat customers, what benefits you really offer etc.

Good content also has direct impact on Google rankings and that's where you could get new business from. Another important element is how easily your content can be shared on social media etc.

So ideally, you would set aside some time and outline WHAT you would like to have on the website - ie structure of individual pages; you could prepare texts for individual sections - eg About, Products/Services - benefits, features; Gallery, Contact us, Testimonials etc. Also, if you can commit to regular writing, ideally you would also set up a blog.

Your logo will also be helpful since it often is a starting point when choosing a colour scheme for the website.

Then, when you sit down with any web designer, it will be much easier to work because you will know almost exactly what you want.

I know a reliable company who do template based wordpress websites starting at €300 or so - and if you came to them "well prepared", I'm sure you could get a good value out of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Help!!!! wrote: »
    How much would it cost for a website? Cheaper the better
    what other costs would I be looking at? Domain name, <mod snip> etc?

Mod edit: No discussion of hosting.

other costs would include paying someone to optimise your keywords for google
    maybe facebook ads.

time taken to write and create content. you are probably going to have to write the content yourself other things like video on youtube help as well.

It takes alot of time to get a site working correctly it is not a question of pay a designer-> get site -> profit

and this is all assuming that your business is a goer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sheesh wrote: »
    other costs would include paying someone to optimise your keywords for google
    maybe facebook ads.

and this is all assuming that your business is a goer.

This assumes that the site is for a business, and that the OP is wanting to get search-engine traffic, and may other traffic from on-line advertising.

But there are many reasons for wanting a website, not all of them to do with making money.

OP - give us some more clues about your objectives, if you want a vaguely useful answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KeaneMachine87

I do work in this area. I can give you some pointers depending on your goals (which could be website for your offline business, trying to convert visitors to paying customers on the site, etc).

In terms of expenses, it all depends on what you require, what your business goals are and how your website can help in achieving those goals.

Overall the price of a domain name and hosting is dirt cheap, the real expenses are where you require hands-on work from an expert, for example:

- need a custom logo from a competent graphic designer
    - custom CSS work
    - building a web application from scratch
    - migrating a load of existing content from another older website, retaining links (301s) for SEO purposes
    - need help in designing an SEO strategy to rank for desirable keywords
    - building a conversion funnel to convert visitors into paying customers
    - etc...

You need to be far more specific about what you need to get a proper answer...saying "what does a website cost" is very vague.

Advertisement