Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 graduate visa

Options
  • 14-07-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey, im thinking about going on the year long graduate visa. Id like to secure something before going over but dont wanna pay the money to usit before something is secured. However to access their database for employers (internships) you have to pay first.

Bit of advice needed about which to go.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

im literally in the exact same boat as yourself. Recent graduate, I really want to secure some sort of internship and live in US, maybe somewhere else for a year. I was previously on a j1 with usit and found theyre ji job listings useless, really really bad like! So maybe tryna find a job yourself would be best? Although I know myself that I have applied for a couple jobs stateside and havent heard anything from the employers, perhaps they just see Ireland as my adress on my cv and ignore me, Im not sure. One things for sure I have to get out of ireland, sick of it altogether ! Iv been applying for all sorts of jobs the last 2 months and Im still unemployed in my parents house on the brink of insanity! I applied for factory jobs etc and even got turned down ( over 600 people applied for 20 spaces). What are you qualified in? I myself have a food marketing degree

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

im literally in the exact same boat as yourself. Recent graduate, I really want to secure some sort of internship and live in US, maybe somewhere else for a year. I was previously on a j1 with usit and found theyre ji job listings useless, really really bad like! So maybe tryna find a job yourself would be best? Although I know myself that I have applied for a couple jobs stateside and havent heard anything from the employers, perhaps they just see Ireland as my adress on my cv and ignore me, Im not sure. One things for sure I have to get out of ireland, sick of it altogether ! Iv been applying for all sorts of jobs the last 2 months and Im still unemployed in my parents house on the brink of insanity! I applied for factory jobs etc and even got turned down ( over 600 people applied for 20 spaces). What are you qualified in? I myself have a food marketing degree

My degrees are in politics/international relations with law, so would think Washington dc and maybe nyc would be the best options, would love to try the South though. A majority of jobs in this field is unpaid internships (here and abroad). Ive tried contacting USIT through there website and email but they havent responded which doesnt leave a good impression. Where to look for jobs in the US. Any particular websites. Think they would get turned off by an irish address maybe have to make it explicit that you can avail of a US visa. Hmm USIT arent cheap :/

Naggins wrote: »
    My degrees are in politics/international relations with law, so would think Washington dc and maybe nyc would be the best options, would love to try the South though. A majority of jobs in this field is unpaid internships (here and abroad). Ive tried contacting USIT through there website and email but they havent responded which doesnt leave a good impression. Where to look for jobs in the US. Any particular websites. Think they would get turned off by an irish address maybe have to make it explicit that you can avail of a US visa. Hmm USIT arent cheap :/

I have seen USIT respond to comments on their facebook page before, so u mite try that! I dont have any good website for US jobs, if you find one you mite post it here for myself also! How much approx is the 12 month visa? Your hardly going to go over for 12 months on the back of an unpaid internship are u?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

The job website that USIT provide is useless so don't be fooled by feeling like you need to pay the money to get access to it. Look for jobs yourself, Craiglist is good. Make sure it's a Resume you are sending out to employers, not a CV, and use American terminology and spelling. I think the Irish Address does but them off initially. It would be worth trying to put down a friend/relations' address that lives in NY instead, as they rarely contact anyone these days by the Postal Service anyway. Make sure you mention on the cover letter you are contactable between so and so THEIR time.

I'm currently on the 12 month J1 graduate visa, six months in.

Hope this helps.

Ewa24 wrote: »
    The job website that USIT provide is useless so don't be fooled by feeling like you need to pay the money to get access to it. Look for jobs yourself, Craiglist is good. Make sure it's a Resume you are sending out to employers, not a CV, and use American terminology and spelling. I think the Irish Address does but them off initially. It would be worth trying to put down a friend/relations' address that lives in NY instead, as they rarely contact anyone these days by the Postal Service anyway. Make sure you mention on the cover letter you are contactable between so and so THEIR time.

I'm currently on the 12 month J1 graduate visa, six months in.

Hope this helps.

Yeah Usit's J1 job section is useless aswell i was thinking as much myself! How much does the 12 month graduate visa cost actually? and did u get employment before u went over or wait til u arrived? sorry for the questions but im considering doing the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Ewa24

I'm not entirely sure what I paid as it was quite a few months ago I paid but it was something like 2450Euro. Go for Less is a lot cheaper apparently but they were all booked up when I contacted them. I got employment when I arrived over here. I tried in Ireland but it is too hard. Employers do not seem to have any interest when your address is not in the area and your phone number is abroad. I got very few responses when I was in Ireland trying to reach out to employers as opposed to applying from the States.

Its a hard visa to get around. Plenty of preparation ie. have your resume done up, a tailored cover letter and be familiar with the websites to look for jobs etc. I used Craiglist a lot. Its very popular here in SF.

Ewa24 wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure what I paid as it was quite a few months ago I paid but it was something like 2450Euro. Go for Less is a lot cheaper apparently but they were all booked up when I contacted them. I got employment when I arrived over here. I tried in Ireland but it is too hard. Employers do not seem to have any interest when your address is not in the area and your phone number is abroad. I got very few responses when I was in Ireland trying to reach out to employers as opposed to applying from the States.

Its a hard visa to get around. Plenty of preparation ie. have your resume done up, a tailored cover letter and be familiar with the websites to look for jobs etc. I used Craiglist a lot. Its very popular here in SF.

thanks for the info, very useful! cant believe the price of the visa, after putting a spanner in the works! do u mind me asking what degree u hold and how hard was it to find work in that particular field, and what other areas might be useful to hold a qualification in?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brenchy

Hey, I'v just applied for the graduate visa through the IIIC. Although they are supposedly much more strict when it comes to what job you get, they are about 600euro cheaper than USIT and are meant to be very helpful with helping you find work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

brenchy wrote: »
    Hey, I'v just applied for the graduate visa through the IIIC. Although they are supposedly much more strict when it comes to what job you get, they are about 600euro cheaper than USIT and are meant to be very helpful with helping you find work.

Did the same myself, and a mate of mine went through it last year and is currently working in Austin.

I've to yet put down my final deposit and go through the embassy part, as I'm waiting on a few things, but I found the process fine so far, anyway.

Far, far cheaper this way too.

thanks for the info guys! I am looking for work in food marketing here in ireland but literally having no luck! I wonder where I could head to in the states with suitable work!? or do you know of any suitable job site?!

• Advertisement

thanks for the info guys! I am looking for work in food marketing here in ireland but literally having no luck! I wonder where I could head to in the states with suitable work!? or do you know of any suitable job site?!

We're heading to Austin, as its a relative hot spot for a lot of businesses right now. Lots of IT, Business, and Marketing jobs available, by all accounts.

According to my mate who is over there now, the trick is to apply for internships with the smaller companies, or startups. Avoid the big names, as they know you are leaving in a year and are less likely to 'waste' a hiring ticket on you. We're in IT and Business, so it certainly makes sense in that regard for us. Not too sure how Food Marketing usually works, I'm afraid.

This website is where my buddy, and the people he is over with, managed to land jobs from http://www.internships.com/

Feel free to PM me, or whatever, if you want more info.

Thank you for all the info, it has really been a help! I may pm you at some stage dont be shocked haha! thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I was reading that for next years grads a 2 year visa is going to be available, that'll make internship hunting easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

We were into USIT on saturday but we will look at this IIIC organisation. Do you book your own flights if you opt for IIIC route?

McSween wrote: »
    We were into USIT on saturday but we will look at this IIIC organisation. Do you book your own flights if you opt for IIIC route?

Yeah. Your own flights, travel insurance, etc.

We were recommended this, http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/, as the cheapest and best option for insurance, actually.

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah. Your own flights, travel insurance, etc.

We were recommended this, http://www.backpackertravelinsurance.ie/, as the cheapest and best option for insurance, actually.

Thanks. For two of us the insurance is €390-€440 for 12 months.

The costs appear to be as follows:

IIIC - $990 including deposit.
    Insurance - €220
    Flights - ?
    Embassy - $160

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks. For two of us the insurance is €390-€440 for 12 months.

The costs appears to be as follows:

IIIC - $990 including deposit.
    Insurance - €220
    Flights - ?
    Embassy - $160

Anything I'm missing?

Sevis fee. Around 120 or so, if I remember correctly.

Not sure, but you might need 14 months insurance, if you plan on going over a month before visa starts, and leave a month after it ends (as you are entitled to do).

Knex. wrote: »
    Sevis fee. Around 120 or so, if I remember correctly.

Not sure, but you might need 14 months insurance, if you plan on going over a month before visa starts, and leave a month after it ends (as you are entitled to do).

Sevis is around $180 I think

If i round insurance up to €250 and flight, in my case, to Orlando will be around 650 return then my total cost will be around €1950 which is well short of usit's 'around 2500'. I can deduct another 200 possibly as usit said we only had to book one way fligts.

• Site Banned Posts: 96 ✭✭engineerbrah

This might be a stupid question but do IIIC allow you to go anywhere in the states too?

Yeah the flights, insurance and embassy meeting. At first I thought it would be a lot of hassle doing it all myself but it was actually grand. The IIIC guide you through the process.

• Advertisement

This might be a stupid question but do IIIC allow you to go anywhere in the states too?

Yup anywhere at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Are you supposed to sort the job first or the flights and accommodation? I can imagine it being very hard to find a job if you can't give an address in the states. Also how early should you be planning this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Are you supposed to sort the job first or the flights and accommodation? I can imagine it being very hard to find a job if you can't give an address in the states. Also how early should you be planning this?

People don't normally give their addresses when they apply for a job. Future employers don't really need to know the specifics of where you live. They'll presume that you live in the city/town that you are applying for the job in, or if you don't, you are willing to move there. A phone number and an email address is what they would need from you initially, so that they can contact you about an interview. If you get the job, then yeah, they would need probably need to know your address for payroll, tax, health insurance and other human resources purposes, but they wouldn't need it initially.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    People don't normally give their addresses when they apply for a job. Future employers don't really need to know the specifics of where you live. They'll presume that you live in the city/town that you are applying for the job in, or if you don't, you are willing to move there. A phone number and an email address is what they would need from you initially, so that they can contact you about an interview. If you get the job, then yeah, they would need probably need to know your address for payroll, tax, health insurance and other human resources purposes, but they wouldn't need it initially.

I'm not sure about this, almost every job I applied to online required an address :/. I'm afraid if I put down an American address and they want a face to face interview?

I'm not sure about this, almost every job I applied to online required an address :/. I'm afraid if I put down an American address and they want a face to face interview?

This pretty much. What do you do when they call you in for interview? Request a skype interview instead?

A lot of them do require addresses. Just as banks require a social security number and an address. You can get by that with the bank if you have a job and they vouch for you, however.

Obviously there are ways around it with every company, but I would advise sorting the visa first and prioritising getting yourself to the States first and foremost, before putting a tonne of energy into a job search.

Realistically, you're going to be in America, and living for a while before you manage to land yourself a job.

That'll be a fairly expensive on top of paying for flights and the visa. You'd need like 2k with you!

That'll be a fairly expensive on top of paying for flights and the visa. You'd need like 2k with you!

You need that to get into the country anyway, I believe.

When you go to the embassy I'm sure you need to show proof of around 2000 dollars in your account.

Might need that again when going through customs, not sure. You do for Canada, anyway.

Oh right I see, thanks for the advice. I'm in a fairly employable sector but still the thought of not getting a job and having to fly home isn't one I like to entertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭grimman

Hey, looking at heading over to the states myself now, on a J1 graduate Visa Never heard of the IIIC before now, can someone give me an outline of what's involved with them? Seems that USIT do all the hand holding for you!

Advertisement