Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 graduate visa

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Naggins

I have seen USIT respond to comments on their facebook page before, so u mite try that! I dont have any good website for US jobs, if you find one you mite post it here for myself also! How much approx is the 12 month visa? Your hardly going to go over for 12 months on the back of an unpaid internship are u?

A few people I know have gone and done internships in their relevant field and also worked under the counter in irish bars. I would imagine that there internships were unpaid if they were also working in bar. Heard of a few people doing that. Not ideal but in some fields unpaid internships are the norm rather than the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 omahonrm

I have been looking at the graduate visa for a while but my problem is having a degree in languages limits your options. Emailed USIT and then went in to them yesterday and have to say I found them completely and utterly useless. The guy I was dealing with told me that they can't tell you what sort of jobs you should be looking for or give you any advice about jobs as all they do is sort visas. He told me to contact CIEE - who told me that they could give me advice but that the sponsor in my home country would be better able to help me. By the sounds of it IIIC sounds like the better option.

Does anybody know how specific to your field the job has to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I got some greats tip from recruitment agents here on things to put on your RESUME in order to get work here.

If it's a front facing type of job, include a small picture to show you're not a bum.
    List your Marital status. Many times being single can actually be an advantage.
    Availability e.g. 2 weeks, 4 weeks. Date of Birth.

I was also told to write a paragraph with each job. My personal highlights from the job, achievements, what I learned, as well as reason for leaving.

I strongly suggest you highlight that you do not require sponsorship to live and work in the US. Put it top and bottom of the CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clarke.alan86

Hey guys,
    If I apply for J1 gradaute visa today, roughly how long does it take before everything is finalised from the U.S embassy?
    Im hoping to travel to New York and seek employment once I get there. Do I have a certain amount of time before I have to get a job?
    Also is the DS-2007 training plan a lengthy document? Are most companies willing to fill one out? I get different feedback from people in relation to this.
    Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭grimman

Hey guys,
    If I apply for J1 gradaute visa today, roughly how long does it take before everything is finalised from the U.S embassy?

6 - 8 weeks.
    Im hoping to travel to New York and seek employment once I get there. Do I have a certain amount of time before I have to get a job?
    I think you can arrive 30 days before the work visa starts, once it starts you've 3 months to find a job.
    Also is the DS-2007 training plan a lengthy document? Are most companies willing to fill one out? I get different feedback from people in relation to this.

No idea.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭swatki

Can someone please please give me advice on the IIIC- i have paid my deposit with them but now i am having second thoughts and im thinking of opting for the dreaded but familiar USIT instead as i have heard they are less strict with your job that you find - My worrys stem from the fact that realistically it will be hard to find a full time paid job in my field "art" cvan anybody tell me how strict they are with the mininum 32 hours etc and if it is a safer option to go with usit becuase they give less hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lauraplunk1

Hey there,

I know this post was a few years ago, but i'm in the same position at the minute, I don't know what company to choose as I have heard that the IIC have sent graduates home after a few months because they are so strict on jobs. I know you probably won't see this, but on the off chance that you do, what did you end up doing in the end? Have you heard anymore on the IIC visas? Thanks, Laura.

hey laura! I am still in the same boat as you - after doing a crazy amount of research
    there is three companies - USIT (robbers)
    IIC - Which i have paid my depoist with but had serious second thoughts because i heard of their die hard strictness
    there is a new irish company doing it TRAVELBUG LTD , out of mayo - they have a facebook page for 1799 and you can book your own flights( embassey fee is not included tho afaik but insurance is) - they run with a sponsor different to usit but apparently the sponsor is strict but in fact they ALL seem to be, I Cant tell you how nice the people of travelbug were to deal with so far -
    but at the end of the day it comes down to pocket so after much deliberation i think im going to stick with the iic and hope for the best - I Would recommend travelbug over usit in a heartbeat - and you get to book your own flights with super nice service from laura and caroline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There's also go4less.ie, SAYIT (not sure if they still do the graduate visa) and Intrax Internships among others.

I've been to half of the states in the US now. I'm wondering and figure this is a good place to ask but why do the majority of Irish students going to the US go to the same places? e.g. Massachusetts, New York, California

Which are also among the most expensive to live...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Hey there,

I know this post was a few years ago, but i'm in the same position at the minute, I don't know what company to choose as I have heard that the IIC have sent graduates home after a few months because they are so strict on jobs. I know you probably won't see this, but on the off chance that you do, what did you end up doing in the end? Have you heard anymore on the IIC visas? Thanks, Laura.

I'm in the same position at the moment also, but to be honest I think all the sponsors are the same. Do you mean in relation to what kind of work you are hoping to get or the amount of hours they allow you to work. I also think i'm going to go with the IIC as the price is so cheap. Also with travelbug, you only get insurance for the 12 months, so if you decide to go traveling for the last month you need to get more insurance again. Where are you thinking of going?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I've been to half of the states in the US now. I'm wondering and figure this is a good place to ask but why do the majority of Irish students going to the US go to the same places? e.g. Massachusetts, New York, California

Which are also among the most expensive to live...

Not just the same states, Its worse than that because they end up in the same isolated suburbs as well.

Its because they're young and inexperienced and really just want to hang out with their friends.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Not just the same states, Its worse than that because they end up in the same isolated suburbs as well.

Its because they're young and inexperienced and really just want to hang out with their friends.

I never got to do the summer abroad thing. I had to keep the same job I had during the college year and try to make as much as I could to put towards the next year. Only one working parent in the family but didn't get the grant until my final year due to a 'clerical error'. But that's beside the point. I went to Boston for work during the summer. The place was brimming with Irish students.

Also unfortunately, it's not a good thing when they are working in the service industry here. They stick out like sore thumbs. I guess the locals are endeared by their accents but the quality of service is much lower than if your server has been living in the US for a while.

If I had the opportunity to come out here for a summer when I was young. Assuming, I had the funds that the ones that go to San Francisco, New York, Boston, California have. I'd go to O'ahu in Hawaii! The locals are probably the most different to any other state due to the Polynesian culture and heritage. The weather is amazing. The pacific ocean is so lovely and bright blue. There's a lot to do there too. AND when I was there, they had loads of jobs advertised too

I'm in the same position at the moment also, but to be honest I think all the sponsors are the same. Do you mean in relation to what kind of work you are hoping to get or the amount of hours they allow you to work. I also think i'm going to go with the IIC as the price is so cheap. Also with travelbug, you only get insurance for the 12 months, so if you decide to go traveling for the last month you need to get more insurance again. Where are you thinking of going?

for me the concern is the amount of hours - and also ive come to realize all the sponsors seem the same - ciee affiliated with usit are just the biggest - i didnt cop that from the travelbug insurance but thats an interesting point - when you book with backpacker you can get a 13 month for same a s 12 - im going to new york myself

Also wompa !interesting thread post , everybody does gravitate to the most expensive and same old places -

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

swatki wrote: »
    Also wompa !interesting thread post , everybody does gravitate to the most expensive and same old places -

Its interesting to watch on boards.ie over the years, and its perfectly understandable.

Being an 18-30 year old is all about bonding and conforming with your peers. Its more important to be In The Group .

And thats okay.

Do i count as being "In the group" if i may borrow your personal observation hmm i dont know how many 18-30 year old irish immigrants live in Far Roc Queens. if there is any on here seeing this, great!

shur everybody loves a good bond eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

swatki wrote: »
    Do i count as being "In the group" if i may borrow your personal observation hmm i dont know how many 18-30 year old irish immigrants live in Far Roc Queens. if there is any on here seeing this, great!

shur everybody loves a good bond eh

You'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I've had no problems with IIIC but want to change jobs. I dont know if theyd approve my new job though. Its for one of the biggest companies worldwide working in one of their stores just as retail assistant. Does anyone know of anyone (be realistic not i heard of marys best friend twice removed) being sent home for swithcing jobs and not getting the new one approved? Can they really tell considering you dont provide your SSN to the Sponsoring Organisation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

IIIC charges students to process their visa applications and acts as the sponsor to clients, thereby taking on the legal responsibility for ensuring they oblige by the terms of their visas.

http://www.thejournal.ie/iiic-boston-irish-student-j-1-visa-sent-home-924462-May2013/

This would be the big thing that the IIC were criticized about. They are really strict, and actively check that you're not violating the terms of your visa, because as I quoted, they are legally responsible for you obliging by the terms that you agreed to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement