Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too much yeast?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Making some turbo cider and apple and blackcurrant cider in two demijohns 5l. I had two sachets of 71b1122 (narbonne) yeast in the fridge with a expiry date of 2012 so I bunged one in each demijohn thinking half the yeast was probably dead.
    It's taken off bubbling away after only a few hours - is there going to be a problem considering one sachet can do 23l of high gravity wine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

KAGY wrote: »
    Making some turbo cider and apple and blackcurrant cider in two demijohns 5l. I had two sachets of 71b1122 (narbonne) yeast in the fridge with a expiry date of 2012 so I bunged one in each demijohn thinking half the yeast was probably dead.
    It's taken off bubbling away after only a few hours - is there going to be a problem considering one sachet can do 23l of high gravity wine?

It'll be grand but it might blow off your airlock so put the demijohns in a basin or in the bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I ham making 2 5lt batches of cider

The yeast im using has sweetener for 25lt should i split one pack between the 2?

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/hb-cider-yeastsweetner-1031-p.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I would use less than half the pack between the two. I've heard that "with sweetener" gear is very sweet indeed. You can always add more sweetener later, but it's difficult to fix something that's too sweet.

You could make a starter and use that to reduce the sweetness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Sparks43 wrote: »

The yeast im using has sweetener for 25lt should i split one pack between the 2?

I did a 5L batch of cider with a single sachet of sweetened Youngs cider yeast, it was way too much sweetener for the batch and ruined it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Sparks43 wrote: »

You could rehydrate the yeast first to make it easier to spilt. Something i should have done to check the viability of the yeast.
    My batches are bubbling away nicely, no blowouts luckily but I had a good 1/2 litre of headroom. The fresh fruit looks gross on top so I'll probably siphon into a clean demijohn after a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement