Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can landlord state how many people to live in property?

Options
  • 14-07-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Hi

In a private lease agreement with landlord, is it usual for the landlord state in the lease how many people can reside in the property?

Eg "No more than two people and one infant to be living full time in the house –not including guest of tenants for a short period of time."

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Any reason why he couldn't? It's his house.

More people generate more wear and tear and increase the risk of damage to the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The landlord is supposed to register the number of bedspaces in the unit on their PRTB registration. So yes. Having been at the receiving end once, 4 people moved in officially, another 16 unofficially, I would always recommend limiting bedspaces in a lease where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

athtrasna wrote: »
    The landlord is supposed to register the number of bedspaces in the unit on their PRTB registration. So yes. Having been at the receiving end once, 4 people moved in officially, another 16 unofficially, I would always recommend limiting bedspaces in a lease where possible.

That wasn't in the Wicklow area by any chance, was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

emeldc wrote: »
    That wasn't in the Wicklow area by any chance, was it?

Nope ;) And they didn't last long once a neighbour tipped us off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Most landlords would be weary of subletting which could leave him open to all sorts of problems.

Ken

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It is a normal stipulation- entirely normal.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Also some landlord insurance policies need to know numbers if not listed as a family

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

In a private lease agreement with landlord, is it usual for the landlord state in the lease how many people can reside in the property?

Eg "No more than two people and one infant to be living full time in the house –not including guest of tenants for a short period of time."

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

While that sounds perfectly reasonable, I wonder what happens when the infant grows into a child, unless it's a short term lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

ZENER wrote: »
    Most landlords would be weary of subletting which could leave him open to all sorts of problems.

Ken
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057247110
    Sub-let and a licensee, the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

many thanks for replies
    i don't have anyone moving in but have a cousin staying for a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

odds_on wrote: »

Good post, thanks !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

ellejay wrote: »
    many thanks for replies
    i don't have anyone moving in but have a cousin staying for a few weeks.

well its not becoming their residence, so I wouldnt worry about it unless your housemates have an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

It probably depends on how long a few weeks is as well. 2-3 weeks is a visitor - anything over that is a bit much. Anyway, remember that both fish and visitors go off after 2 days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

yes, i also would class a few weeks as being 2 - 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In my books, a visit lasts 1 week or less, maybe 10 days if you stretch the point.

Any longer than that is a short-term resident, and IMHO subject to laws and needs to pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

In my books, a visit lasts 1 week or less, maybe 10 days if you stretch the point.

Any longer than that is a short-term resident, and IMHO subject to laws and needs to pay rent.

Ouch! :P

Advertisement