Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect breeding for reptiles

Options
  • 14-07-2014 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

(Honestly I'm not too sure where to put this...)

I've been interested in breeding my own dubia roaches for my bearded dragon, but I know that in some states in America, doing that is either illegal, or you need a permit. What's the situation on breeding feeder insects in Ireland?

Also, since I live in an apartment, would I be allowed to do this? My partner claims that our landlord would take issue with me breeding roaches and that I wouldn't be able to do so, but this is the first I've heard of something like this. Any info would help out a lot, thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi Amphis,
    I'll move your enquiry into our sub-forum for reptile-keepers, you should get more targeted help there!
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Amphis wrote: »
    (Honestly I'm not too sure where to put this...)

I've been interested in breeding my own dubia roaches for my bearded dragon, but I know that in some states in America, doing that is either illegal, or you need a permit. What's the situation on breeding feeder insects in Ireland?

Also, since I live in an apartment, would I be allowed to do this? My partner claims that our landlord would take issue with me breeding roaches and that I wouldn't be able to do so, but this is the first I've heard of something like this. Any info would help out a lot, thank you.

No laws against it as far as I'm aware. I used plastic storage boxes so unless your landlord is going to open boxes in your apartment they'll never know what's in there. They need a heat source to breed so it's highly unlikely that if they did get out that they would infest the apartment.

Advertisement