Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What website for dog food

• 14-07-2014 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey just wanted to know what website is the best to get dog food from. I want opinions on price and delivery. I feed Leader Supreme but after reading about it, I want a better dry food for two collies. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I personally use zooplus. Good choice, though you do need to make sure you order early enough so you don't run out of dog food before your order arrives.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭ihatewinter

Grand thanks. Could anyone recommend a good grain free dry dog food for around 40-45 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Taste of the Wild, maybe? I have heard good things about it.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi there I use taste of the wild pacific stream it's grain free.
    I also buy all my dogs stuff on zooplus .
    The food is €60 for a 13.6 kg bag, or 2 x 13.6 kg bags for €116
    They also do free delivery.

While it may seem expensive you will feed a smaller portion do it's work out price wise the same as cheaper food.

My 13kg bag lady my cocker (he's a big, talk cocker more springer in size) three months or so.

Anyway good luck with what u decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Husse is a Swedish food of very good quality and they'll deliver to your home for free. I use it for my Lab, springer, cocker and three cats. I'd particularly recommend the Lamm & Ris (lamb and rice).

www.husse.ie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Husse is a Swedish food of very good quality and they'll deliver to your home for free. I use it for my Lab, springer, cocker and three cats. I'd particularly recommend the Lamm & Ris (lamb and rice).

www.husse.ie
    Sorry but it's not very good quality (it's the level of Bozita which is almost half the price per 15kg bag):
    Rice, lamb, animal fat, beet pulp, hydrolysed chicken protein, linseed, fish meal, salmon oil, yeast, salt, fructo- oligosaccharides, lecithin, tagetes extract, sea algae, grape seed extract.

Typical analysis:
    Crude protein 23%, crude fat 14%, crude ash 7%, crude fibre 2.5%, calcium 1.6%, phosphorus 0.9%.
    Taste of the Wild for example will run 33.6% protein for the same price but contain this instead;
    Bison, dried lamb meat, dried chicken meat, eggs, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted game, natural flavourings, tomato puree, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, quality vitamins (A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, D, E),minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate) potassium iodide, manganous oxide, biotin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, folic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

Over the last week I have swapped my part-collie onto Taste of the Wild Pacific for puppies and she seems to like it a lot so far. I paid ~60e for a 13kg bag as cocker5 said, with free delivery. You can track the order as it's being shipped and the couriers sent me an email the day it was due to be delivered which was handy.

I also got a small pack of treats for free as it was my first order with zooplus :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Esterhase wrote: »
    I also got a small pack of treats for free as it was my first order with zooplus :)

Keep an eye on zooplus because they always give freebies with food but rotate which ones get the free stuff every week or so ;)

Thanks very much. I came across Lukullus dog food for 47 euro. Should I be looking for better.

Ingredients:
    Ground beef jerky (28%), ground wholegrain rice (26%), dried and ground trout (6%), cold-pressed rapeseed oil (5%), dried seaweed, dried alfalfa, beet pulp, rice germ, dried herbs (3.5%), dried pears (2%), dried apples (2%), dried egg yolk, caraway, linseed oil (1.5%), dried and ground carob, powdered mineral clay, diatomaceous earth, dried and ground yucca schidigera, dried blueberries (0.3%).
    Additives:
    Vitamin A (10,200 IU/kg), vitamin D3 (1020 IU/kg), vitamin E (205mg/kg), vitamin B1 as thiamin mononitrate (3.5mg/kg), vitamin B2 as riboflavin (7.4mg/kg), vitamin B6 pyridoxine hydrochloride (4.4mcg/kg), vitamin B12 (44mcg/kg), biotin as D-(+)-biotin (225mcg/kg), folic acid (0.37mg/kg), niacin (24 mg/kg), vitamin C as L-ascorbic acid (143mg/kg), pantothenic acid as calcium D-pantothenate (9 mg/kg), choline choloride (1540mg/kg).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thanks very much. I came across Lukullus dog food for 47 euro. Should I be looking for better.
    How long is a piece of string? :)

The only one who can answer that is you; is there better foods out there? Yes. Is Lukullus a "bad" choice? No. Another alternative in the same price & quality range is Markus Mühle NaturNah for example but ultimatly the decision is yours and you also need to see how your dog does on it. For example Orijen is a top of the line brand but if your dog does not like it / do good on it then it does not matter how good it is on paper or works for other dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Using Lukullus as well for our Beagle. He's had a lot of digestion problems over the last 18 months when he was on Origen and Eden. However, he's settled very well on Lukullus and it's good value from Zooplus. Probably not as good quality as Origen or Eden, but it's gluten free and more importantly it suits our dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

tk123 wrote: »
    Keep an eye on zooplus because they always give freebies with food but rotate which ones get the free stuff every week or so ;)

Ooooh I'll watch out for that, cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Interesting thread, I'd appreciate advice from those that know about this subject - we've been experimenting with a few, locally available (pet store and vet) foods and have our springer on a royal canin 'skin care' food as she seems to get a reaction to other dry dog foods (including other RC foods). I took her off all dry foods for a year or so and fed her a home cooked rice & meat/veg recipe - her skin was better on that but it is quite time consuming (we have 2 dogs so try to feed both the same). The skin care dry food is expensive but her skin has not flared up on it. It is 80e a 10k (I think) bag and lasts about a month with the 2 dogs.
    Is there a better food to try or should I just stick with it, since it seems to work for her?

muckety wrote: »
    Interesting thread, I'd appreciate advice from those that know about this subject - we've been experimenting with a few, locally available (pet store and vet) foods and have our springer on a royal canin 'skin care' food as she seems to get a reaction to other dry dog foods (including other RC foods). I took her off all dry foods for a year or so and fed her a home cooked rice & meat/veg recipe - her skin was better on that but it is quite time consuming (we have 2 dogs so try to feed both the same). The skin care dry food is expensive but her skin has not flared up on it. It is 80e a 10k (I think) bag and lasts about a month with the 2 dogs.
    Is there a better food to try or should I just stick with it, since it seems to work for her?
    Looking at what's in it:
    Corn, wheat gluten, brewers rice, tapioca, chicken fat, corn gluten meal, natural flavors, vegetable oil, dried beet pulp, rice hulls, fish oil, calcium carbonate, flaxseed, monosodium phosphate, potassium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, L-lysine, sodium silico aluminate, fructooligosaccharides, borage oil, taurine, L-tyrosine, salt, choline chloride, Vitamins [dl-alpha tocopherol (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.
    I think there might be a few potential alternatives to try as you said it worked fine on home cooked.

Lukullus Dog Food Chicken & Northern Wild Salmon
    Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Canine
    Purizon Adult Fish

The thing is I'd not be 100% sure the problem may not be with the dry food in itself and hence you may want to consider going wet instead such as Rocco to see if that helps even more and possibly add salmon oil to their daily meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

muckety wrote: »

I put a thread up on here a while ago asking if anyone that posts in this forum has any animal nutrition training or qualifications, nobody answered, so personally, I would take what anyone advises on here as just fellow animal owners, rather than 'those that know'.

Having said that, I recently attended a seminar by a leading UK animal dermatologist on the effect of food on skin conditions. There are no blood tests to determine whether a dog is allergic to a particular food ingredient, the only way to know for sure is to do a 6 week total exclusion diet. Have you tried that, its nearly impossible to do, as the dog obviously can't eat anything, even treats.

What did you put into the home made diet? Maybe if you post that, people can suggest dry food with the same, or very similar ingredients.

muddypaws wrote: »
    I put a thread up on here a while ago asking if anyone that posts in this forum has any animal nutrition training or qualifications, nobody answered, so personally, I would take what anyone advises on here as just fellow animal owners, rather than 'those that know'.
    It's the Internetz; even if someone claimed to be the number one leading pet nutritionist I'd not trust them but some things are relatively common sense. For example a supermarket brand which contains very low meat, very high cereal content is by definition a worse food then lets say Orijen which is zero percent cereal. That does not mean a dog may not be ok on the supermarket brand or that Orijen is the choice for every dog but looking at it from a general statement point of view it's easy to say that Orijen is a better choice :)

Nody wrote: »
    It's the Internetz; even if someone claimed to be the number one leading pet nutritionist I'd not trust them but some things are relatively common sense. For example a supermarket brand which contains very low meat, very high cereal content is by definition a worse food then lets say Orijen which is zero percent cereal. That does not mean a dog may not be ok on the supermarket brand or that Orijen is the choice for every dog but looking at it from a general statement point of view it's easy to say that Orijen is a better choice :)

And thats grand, but whenever food is discussed on here, certain posters are held up as experts, when they apparently have no more informed knowledge than anyone else, and perhaps actually less than some ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

muddypaws wrote: »
    and perhaps actually less than some ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Even though some posters are not qualified in pet nutrition they may have spent a lot of time researching it and have their own experience which in my opinion counts for a lot. There are plenty of times you see advertised in pet shops that they have a red mills, hills, science plan whatever the shop is selling nutritionist on such a day i wouldn't take anything they say as truth when they are paid by certain companies! It's easy enough to get qualifications and not know anything on the matter especially when it comes to dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

nala2012 wrote: »
    Even though some posters are not qualified in pet nutrition they may have spent a lot of time researching it and have their own experience which in my opinion counts for a lot. There are plenty of times you see advertised in pet shops that they have a red mills, hills, science plan whatever the shop is selling nutritionist on such a day i wouldn't take anything they say as truth when they are paid by certain companies! It's easy enough to get qualifications and not know anything on the matter especially when it comes to dogs!

Some of the big name dog food brands run the nutritional courses given to vets and pet shop employees. I remember discussing nutrition once with a girl working in a petshop and she was going through what she advised to feed and the reasons etc. She told me she had a certificate in pet nutrition, when I asked her about the course she said it was run by ----(wont mention the name of the dog food company).

• Advertisement

nala2012 wrote: »
    maggiepip wrote: »
    Some of the big name dog food brands run the nutritional courses given to vets and pet shop employees. I remember discussing nutrition once with a girl working in a petshop and she was going through what she advised to feed and the reasons etc. She told me she had a certificate in pet nutrition, when I asked her about the course she said it was run by ----(wont mention the name of the dog food company).

I understand completely where you're coming from, but science is still science, I just find it interesting (or maybe worrying) that on so many threads on here, when it comes to behaviour, the recommendation is for science based training methods, yet when food is discussed, scientific knowledge and research seems to be unimportant.

But, as Nody says, its the internetz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Dont want to hijack this thread but,

I currently feed my dogs Hills Science plan, advanced fitness ,medium breed, chicken(+lamb i think), adult 1-6.

Currently paying €45/12kg bag and after 10 bags i get 1 free.

Have any of ye seen this food cheaper online?

Or is this food even good?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Taste of the Wild for example will run 33.6% protein for the same price but contain this instead;

All depends on the quality of the protein though and whether it comes from hydrolysed chicken or fish meal and dried meats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AliBaba2010

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Dont want to hijack this thread but,

I currently feed my dogs Hills Science plan, advanced fitness ,medium breed, chicken(+lamb i think), adult 1-6.

Currently paying €45/12kg bag and after 10 bags i get 1 free.

Have any of ye seen this food cheaper online?

Or is this food even good?

Thanks

Not a huge fan of Hill's personally, I know of way too many dogs who react bad to it ( diarrhoea mainly ) but every dog is different. Also its far too expensive in my opinion.
    My dog is a husky samoyed mix and he does better on raw food or tinned food, he doesn't take to well to dry food, we use Dunnes Stores own brand for the tinned food and he's doing great on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

I would recommend using the german zooplus site:

www.zooplus.de

Free delivery if buying over 50 euros (I think) and cheaper prices than the irish site.
    Also, if you have any problems you can call the irish customer support since it´s all the same company.
    I've been using them for many years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I would recommend using the german zooplus site:

www.zooplus.de

Free delivery if buying over 50 euros (I think) and cheaper prices than the irish site.
    Also, if you have any problems you can call the irish customer support since it´s all the same company.
    I've been using them for many years!

I find the German site the best value too, and the 3%discount voucher code is sammelbesteller

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Does anyone know the best place to buy Royal Canin dog food?

Does anyone know the best place to buy Royal Canin dog food?
    Zooplus.de (require minimum 50 EUR spend to get free shipping) or Zooplus.co.uk for smaller amounts excluding sales in local brick & mortar stores/shows from my experience though Amazon with subscription may work (don't know if it's available as I rarely use RC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Zooplus.de (require minimum 50 EUR spend to get free shipping) or Zooplus.co.uk for smaller amounts excluding sales in local brick & mortar stores/shows from my experience though Amazon with subscription may work (don't know if it's available as I rarely use RC)

I thought for free delivery minimum spend €99 for .de and £79 for .co.uk

• Advertisement

Update. I bought the Beef and Trout Lukullus dog food. Give her some this morning and she looked and stiffed at it for about 10 mins. Finally she ate it and followed the smell of it into the utility room looking for more. Good sign anyway.

Advertisement