Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish radio commentators that make every sport sound like a horse race

• 14-07-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Michael Corcoran ends every Munster match with no voice have roared his way through what sounds like an extended Grand National. Rugby is seldom this frantic, it is a completely OTT approach.

Back in the day, as well as doing GAA commentary, Michael O'Hehir was an actual horse racing commentator so he may be to blame for this approach. Along came Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh who obviously thought everything should be a horse race too with the added bonus of inane anecdotes about fúck all thrown in for good measure.

Pauric Lodge has obviously pulled himself one time too many to Ó Muircheartaigh. I listened to him on Radio 1 yesterday. Constantly changing up the gears to go all hyper-frantic then taking a few seconds to regain his composure while the inevitable 'dis dat dese and dose' 'nip and tuck' muck savage steps in with a bit of "colour commentary". Painful.

...... and of course there's fúckin' Marty Morrisey.

Is there an argument for a slightly more laid back approach to Irish sports radio commentary? Does it have to be so breathless?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

jr22 wrote: »
    Michael Corcoran ends every Munster match with no voice have roared his way through what sounds like an extended Grand National. Rugby is seldom this frantic, it is a completely OTT approach.

Back in the day, as well as doing GAA commentary, Michael O'Hehir was an actual horse racing commentator so he may be to blame for this approach Then along came Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh who obviously thought everything should be a horse race too, with the added bonus of inane anecdotes about fúck all thrown in for good measure.

Pauric Lodge has obviously pulled himself one time too many to Ó Muircheartaigh. I listened to him on Radio 1 yesterday. Changing up the gears to go all hyper-frantic then taking a few seconds to regain his composure while the inevitable 'dis dat dese and dose' 'nip and tuck' muck savage steps in with a bit of "colour commentary". Painful.

...... and of course there's fúckin' Marty Morrisey.

Is there an argument for a slightly more laid back approach to Irish sports radio commentary? Does it have to be so breathless?

They have to try to make Gaelic football sound interesting one way or another. The game itself can't do it after all.

Hurling is a different matter though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

Jimmy Magee is insufferable. "I was watching a match in 1986 having flown Aer Lingus with Bill and John, there was a goal scored while I was watching. I saw the hand of God. You know it changes you when you've seen as much as I have."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

That's one of the finest things I've seen all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Why not turn off the radio and watch the television with the sound turned off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Michael Corcoran's commentaries are horrible. He talks at a hundred miles an hour and as if he is in a state of perpetual panic, often resorting to roaring when an Irish team goes on the attack. He doesn't even sound like he enjoys any of the games, it's all frenetic and nervous energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Not a radio commentator or about horse races but I don't care. Peter Collins is diabolical. He commentates football matches like it's formula one.

Apres Match did a great impression of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I love listening to Michael Corcoran commentating on Rugby
    It shows his passion for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Does the guy realize how stupid he sounds? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Ok, I have the solution. It's basic. When your team is under performing you make switches. Ask Brian Cody or Enda Kenny.
    So, it's Gay Byrne for hurling, and woe betide any player who neglects to wear a helmet! Michael Corcoran goes to the News at Six. Imagine when it gets hot in Iraq! Nicholas Carolan takes horse racing. Micheàl Ô'Muircheartaigh comperes Eurovision next time we host it ( " next comes Azerbaijan, not a stronghold of sean-nōs." ) Eamonn Dunphy does the night prayer. Emer O'Kelly goes to the ploughing championship, and Mary Kennedy to martial arts. Jimmy Magee chairs Primetime, and Tommy Tiernan takes Wimbledon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement