Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holidays prior to a promotion

Options
  • 15-07-2014 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi
    I got a promotion to salary pay last month. I was on an hourly rate before this and worked up over 100 hours holiday pay. I found out that I am going to be paid this in full without my consent. still waiting on my contract but hr had said I can hold on to them for hols in Oct and still have my 20 day hols.
    is this legal???

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well for starters you're not going to have 20 days of holiday; if you got promoted 1st of June you'll have 11.67 days (20/12 * 7); either way your best bet is to discuss it with HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

daveheno wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a promotion to salary pay last month. I was on an hourly rate before this and worked up over 100 hours holiday pay. I found out that I am going to be paid this in full without my consent. still waiting on my contract but hr had said I can hold on to them for hols in Oct and still have my 20 day hols.
    is this legal???

You have any real right to pick your holidays. You just have to take them if your work tells you to. It looks to me that they don't want you taking your saved holidays at a higher rate of pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's probably not 100% legal to pay them ou, TBH, but this may not be the time to rock the boat about it: new job means you're on probation again. You may need to stick the extra cash into a bank account, and use it to take some unpaid leave in October.

But do talk to HR, it may just be a HR / payroll communications issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭daveheno

It's probably not 100% legal to pay them ou, TBH, but this may not be the time to rock the boat about it: new job means you're on probation again. You may need to stick the extra cash into a bank account, and use it to take some unpaid leave in October.

But do talk to HR, it may just be a HR / payroll communications issue.
    thanks for the advice. got it sorted. got paid most and got guaranteed pay for my hols. got an apology too haha

Advertisement