Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I always liked the longstone, that place had character. Shame its going. Is it being re-opened in the new building or gone altogether?

Re: East Side Tavern, that place has problems I think, its been closed a few times over the past 2 years, and have had different people/companies in sharing with it - taco taco was the last one i remember.
    Alfie Byrnes is just round the corner from there, is always busy with good food and pints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

retalivity wrote: »
    I always liked the longstone, that place had character. Shame its going. Is it being re-opened in the new building or gone altogether?

Re: East Side Tavern, that place has problems I think, its been closed a few times over the past 2 years, and have had different people/companies in sharing with it - taco taco was the last one i remember.
    Alfie Byrnes is just round the corner from there, is always busy with good food and pints

And Hartigans is next door with Scampi Fries and stout ya heathen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My abiding memory of the Long Stone will be going in at 5 before a gig to get food and having to hide from a cackling Welsh hen party that had clearly been there since opening. Amazed they hadn't been asked to leave but they must have been spending a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,429 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I'll miss the Long Stone, maybe not the best 'boozing' pub but it holds some special memories for me and what a memorable layout...

14941831673339.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The Long Stone and Neds licences will be resurrected in bars in the new developments on their sites; whether they'll be bland hotel bars or something interesting is indeterminable. Alfie Byrnes as mentioned is a hotel bar for instance but its rather different to, say, the boring and overpriced bars in most of the O'Callaghan hotels.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Come Here To Me blog publiched this article that might be of interest to people following the thread - Dublin Pubs (mid 1980s).

A lot of the city centre ones still look the very same, e.g. Doheny & Nesbits, O'Donoghues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

L1011 wrote: »
    The Long Stone and Neds licences will be resurrected in bars in the new developments on their sites; whether they'll be bland hotel bars or something interesting is indeterminable. Alfie Byrnes as mentioned is a hotel bar for instance but its rather different to, say, the boring and overpriced bars in most of the O'Callaghan hotels.

Alfie Byrne's is one of the Galway Bay Brewery pubs, alongside Against The Grain, the Black Sheep, Brewdock, The Beer Market etc.

I'm fully aware of that, but it is also the hotel bar of The Conrad. The Gasworks is another bar they operate in a hotel

Hotel bars are usually bland but don't have to be. The Adelphi is another example of a non-standard hotel bar

Planning went in to demolish the Blackhorse Inn (Inchicore) in November, replacement with 56 apartments and a cafe. Must have been lodged almost immediately after I did my last planning search as I was wondering why there hadn't been any movement on it for ages.

Cafe could end up retaining the licence going on some recent developments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭neris

miamee wrote: »
    The Come Here To Me blog publiched this article that might be of interest to people following the thread - Dublin Pubs (mid 1980s).

A lot of the city centre ones still look the very same, e.g. Doheny & Nesbits, O'Donoghues.

Love those old pub fronts. Bit of character in them compared to modern day boozers. Still a few around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Planning went in to demolish the Blackhorse Inn (Inchicore) in November, replacement with 56 apartments and a cafe. Must have been lodged almost immediately after I did my last planning search as I was wondering why there hadn't been any movement on it for ages.

Cafe could end up retaining the licence going on some recent developments.

Awful waste of a good plot of land since the pub closed. Luas on the doorstep also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Long Stone will be on this list come this weekend.

Think it was mentioned here that it was closed but the Lamplighter on the Coombe has reopened. New windows, assuming it was another request from Kevin St, the same as The Lark Inn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wonder what will happen the fixtures in the Long Stone, especially the fireplace

Think it was mentioned here that it was closed but the Lamplighter on the Coombe has reopened. New windows, assuming it was another request from Kevin St, the same as The Lark Inn.

Even if not requested by AGS, who wants to drink in a pub that looks like a military bunker?

It was a common look in the 60s across the city but there's only a handful left like that. Lamplighter was far from the most bunker-like anyway

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wonder what will happen the fixtures in the Long Stone, especially the fireplace

There's a life size suit of armour... though about doing a weekend with Bernie's with it as I was leaving last weekend after one last drink there for old times sake :)

I drove by this afternoon. A serious improvement TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

BeerNut wrote: »
    Having previously been Peg Woffington's in the '90s.

Before it was Peigs it was Club Nassau, or Club Nausea as we used to call it. That would have been the very early 90’s, I was a student in trinity and it was the last resort on many’s a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Just walking back to work there after lunch and passed the Long Stone. They were clearing out all the seats / benches. The door was open so could see the inside being torn apart, but could still see the fireplace at the back, they haven't ripped it out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its some fireplace in fairness which has me intrigued as to where it might end up...Id say someone might buy it for their pretty large house or it could end up being exported by an architectural salvage company to be used in another pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

New pp lodged for rosies in Harolds Cross. Apartments and a small bar with a sandwich bar attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Just walking back to work there after lunch and passed the Long Stone. They were clearing out all the seats / benches. The door was open so could see the inside being torn apart, but could still see the fireplace at the back, they haven't ripped it out yet.

Is that the ruin bar? Lots of people in it last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is that the ruin bar? Lots of people in it last night

No, that’s on the corner..old MacTurcaill’s. Long Stone is/was further up towards Pearse Street Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Collie D wrote: »
    No, that’s on the corner..old MacTurcaill’s. Long Stone is/was further up towards Pearse Street Garda Station.

How long is Mac Turcaills gone now? I'm guessing this ruin bar isn't €3.30 or so for a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How long is Mac Turcaills gone now? I'm guessing this ruin bar isn't €3.30 or so for a pint.

Mac Turcaills is gone about 4 years now.
    No, ruin don't charge €3.30 for a pint, more like €6.

It's been gone a good enough while now.

And ahem, it's not Fowler's, it's the Top County. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

imme wrote: »
    Mac Turcaills is gone about 4 years now.
    No, ruin don't charge €3.30 for a pint, more like €6.

Loved Mac Turcaills on a Sunday evening/night.Football on the tv and the trad session up on the snug & 3.50 pints.I think it was the same on tuesday night too. Nowadays... :(

URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poaIVBIrj]aIVBIr.jpg[/URL

Going rate to be honest for City Centre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Far too expensive drinking in Dublin these days out from a handful of pubs. I suppose Weatherspoons will be taking over soon but I'm not a fan of them either for other reasons.

• Advertisement

Weatherspoons isn't as cheap as it was when it came to Ireland... still cheaper than 6 quid a pint mind you!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Weatherspoons isn't as cheap as it was when it came to Ireland... still cheaper than 6 quid a pint mind you!
    2.95 Beamish in Dun Laoghaire still! And a few lagers also. By my reckoning it's the cheapest pint in Ireland. So Dublin has both the cheapest and most expensive pints in Ireland. Although the pints aren't that nice and it's more like drinking in a restaurant with no atmosphere. I prefer stools at the bar chatting to people, the English pubs are a bit devoid of character.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    2.95 Beamish in Dun Laoghaire still! And a few lagers also. By my reckoning it's the cheapest pint in Ireland. So Dublin has both the cheapest and most expensive pints in Ireland. Although the pints aren't that nice and it's more like drinking in a restaurant with no atmosphere. I prefer stools at the bar chatting to people, the English pubs are a bit devoid of character.

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!! Sitting there one night and it completely changed! Kept their prices as is so was good tbf.

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!! Sitting there one night and it completely changed! Kept their prices as is so was good tbf.

One in Glasgow on a Saturday night had gangs of young wans drinking pitchers of Fat Frog, each!

Birneybau wrote: »
    One in Glasgow on a Saturday night had gangs of young wans drinking pitchers of Fat Frog, each!

Same as Newcastle! Why not sure!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!
    That's the "Lloyd's No. 1" sub-brand. There's usually at least one in any major city.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'll miss the Long Stone, maybe not the best 'boozing' pub but it holds some special memories for me and what a memorable layout...

14941831673339.jpg

Had a look into the Longstone earlier and its completely gutted, you can see right into the back, bar at the front is gone. The fireplace is gone, a tiny bit of the "beard" remains. Looks like it was chipped away at with a kango hammer so I wouldn't be confident the rest of it was saved! Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Had a look into the Longstone earlier and its completely gutted, you can see right into the back, bar at the front is gone. The fireplace is gone, a tiny bit of the "beard" remains. Looks like it was chipped away at with a kango hammer so I wouldn't be confident the rest of it was saved! Shame.

I don't see what the big deal is with this pub. It was a modern build made to look old. It was a dark dirty kip in my opinion.

Col_30 wrote: »

I don't see what the big deal is with this pub. It was a modern build made to look old. It was a dark dirty kip in my opinion.

Wouldn't have gone out of my way to visit it myself. And I work down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Used to go there the odd time after work 20-odd years ago. Was never a fan of it.

Scrap the cap!

Long Stone, back in my college days it was one of the few city centre pubs on a Saturday night that was 18s not 21s.
    I can remember queues to go in. Some epic nights there.

And the layout, all corners and nooks and crannies ... Ross O'Carroll Kelly would love the place, he could have three Mounties on the go there at the same time and none of the girls would cop on!

Wasn't a fan of the more recent revamp with the not quite outside smoking area.

The hotel that's basically built on top of The Tenters is opening shortly. The bar is apparently on the top floor and not in the old pub, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The hotel that's basically built on top of The Tenters is opening shortly. The bar is apparently on the top floor and not in the old pub, though.

The ground floor where the pub was is completely open space looks like a reception or event area

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Amazing thread. Spent hours reading through and ended up with a strong dose of nostalgia - not alone for places i may have known but also for places i never heard of.

Scholars Bar in Blackpitts looks to be turning into very nice apartments from the outset. Protected structure so they couldn't knock it, least it's now being utilised - fairly certain it hasn't been a pub in over 10 years iirc.

Have worked around that area until recently. Have seen that place and it always struck me as a place that was ideal for a bar/venue/beer garden/smoking area close to town and could never understand why it was derelict for so long.

Just remembering back to my very first job which was in Golden Lane, D8 about 20years aho now!! There was a bikers pub on the junction as you came up from Aungier Street (747 Travel) to Golden Lane and the Woodchester/GE Offices that are now the Raddison Hotel. Anybody remember what it was called? All knocked down now but back in the day it seemed totally out of bounds and never went in there despite working close by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Clon63 wrote: »
    Amazing thread. Spent hours reading through and ended up with a strong dose of nostalgia - not alone for places i may have known but also for places i never heard of.

Have worked around that area until recently. Have seen that place and it always struck me as a place that was ideal for a bar/venue/beer garden/smoking area close to town and could never understand why it was derelict for so long.

Just remembering back to my very first job which was in Golden Lane, D8 about 20years aho now!! There was a bikers pub on the junction as you came up from Aungier Street (747 Travel) to Golden Lane and the Woodchester/GE Offices that are now the Raddison Hotel. Anybody remember what it was called? All knocked down now but back in the day it seemed totally out of bounds and never went in there despite working close by

Know the pub you are thinking of, was it charlies or Charlie something? Rings a bell anyway, was off the road a bit, through a car park maybe. Not been round that way in a bit so memory a bit fuzzy. The chinaman was another biker place just down the road a bit.

• Advertisement

Yup on the roof - can see it from road level, say it will have some nice views! Fully glass by the looks.
    Clon63 wrote: »

Never really seemed to have a footfall - it ended up attracting a dodgy crowd eventually. Such a large place (up and downstairs) it obviously was expensive to run too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,605 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Know the pub you are thinking of, was it charlies or Charlie something? Rings a bell anyway, was off the road a bit, through a car park maybe. Not been round that way in a bit so memory a bit fuzzy. The chinaman was another biker place just down the road a bit.

Charlie's Bar was on Aungier St i.e. the main road. Don't remember the place you're talking about but my student days in that area are between 25 and 30 years ago now :eek: :eek:

Scrap the cap!

Col_30 wrote: »

You're right there is no big deal with this pub. But isn't this thread about pubs (kips or not), that have now ceased to exist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Charlie's Bar was on Aungier St i.e. the main road. Don't remember the place you're talking about but my student days in that area are between 25 and 30 years ago now :eek: :eek:

Yeah charlies bar, that’s it. My minds eye was placing it just off the main road, but wouldn’t be the first thing I’d be wrong about! I seem to recall bikes being parked outside it regularly so always thought of it as a bikers bar. Am sure original poster was referring to the chinaman which was down other direction towards Dublin castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Yeah charlies bar, that’s it. My minds eye was placing it just off the main road, but wouldn’t be the first thing I’d be wrong about! I seem to recall bikes being parked outside it regularly so always thought of it as a bikers bar. Am sure original poster was referring to the chinaman which was down other direction towards Dublin castle.

Could well have been - just have no idea what it was called but that location sounds dead right. It was just after all the Dunnes Stores buildings and before that turn down the cobbled road towards Dublin Castle. Never went in back in the day but saw enough and heard plenty of stories!

• Advertisement
Advertisement