Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Anyone into rock/metal or blues will be missing the Gypsy Rose, Aston Quay which closed its door in recent weeks.

Had gone a bit hipstery in the last couple of years but still sad to see it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tinpib

Kinda related, but I find this blog fascinating, about murders in Irish pubs. Lot of pubs mentioned on it gone now.

https://dyingforapint.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A murder is the quickest way to get a pub renamed or closed. Or both.

The Kings Inn has people working inside it today and lit tap heads. Has to be reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Skatedude wrote: »
    As it stands on Botanic road in Glasnevin. The Botanic house closed years ago, but do see workmen in the place every few months forr a day or two.

The sunnybank is gone and currently been converted to social housing.

Tha Addision Lodge is technically open while seeking permission to demolish it, But no food, lights and pretty much no drink.

Botanic road is not fairing too well.

On the other hand, The Bald Eagle opened again recently, used to be Bushe's and Smyth's before that, and seems to be doing quite well. Though technically I'm not sure if it's on Botanic Rd. The Brian Boru and the Tolka House seem to be going alright.

I think the front part of the Addison is very old, 19th century or something, would they be allowed demolish it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I drive past Botanic regularly and see an odd work man in there but nothing seems to be changing. Prime location of apartments maybe, as is the sunnybank. Doyle's in phibsboro gone a while too and just down the road. Hedigans seems to be getting a new lease of life alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

L1011 wrote: »
    I have never found any reference to the Addison actually having a licence to serve non-residents...

The Lidl in Whitestown was also a pub site originally; they have form there.

? the Addison lodge has been a hotel with full bar licence since 1949, but the current owners did have to get the license renewed a year or so ago. but the current staff seem to be more caretakers than pub staff. shame to see it left to fall apart like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

sabat wrote: »
    Not a chance the locals will be welcomed back to Mother Kelly's. Did they even put a second's thought into giving it that new name though? (I mean besides it being boringly unoriginal to use the street and number) It might piss off a lot of people to see Matt Talbot's name attached to a pub.

Talbot Street is not called after Matt Talbot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Hootanany wrote: »
    I think Peacock is taking it over saw his missus outside a while ago with workmen.

Mr Peacock, formerly of the Quarry House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Joe prim wrote: »

Talbot Street is not called after Matt Talbot.

we know! - the same user corrected himself 2 posts later, over a year ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

On the other hand, The Bald Eagle opened again recently, used to be Bushe's and Smyth's before that, and seems to be doing quite well. Though technically I'm not sure if it's on Botanic Rd. The Brian Boru and the Tolka House seem to be going alright.

I think the front part of the Addison is very old, 19th century or something, would they be allowed demolish it?

Part of the main entrance is from the 17 or 18 hundreds. Lord Addison was the chap who owned it.

• Advertisement

Always be Smyths to locals, and yes it's not on botanic road, it's on the phibsborough road. Someone mentioned Doyles in phibsborough being gone, first I've heard of it. It's a semi regular haunt of mine and I've drank in there as recently as February. I hope to christ Peacock doesn't aquire the Addison, he's not a very popular guy in the finglas east/glasnevin area for reasons I won't go into.
    (other people's opinions not mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

MOH wrote: »
    Had gone a bit hipstery in the last couple of years but still sad to see it go.

Yes, hipsters destroy everything.

Skatedude wrote: »
    ? the Addison lodge has been a hotel with full bar licence since 1949, but the current owners did have to get the license renewed a year or so ago. but the current staff seem to be more caretakers than pub staff. shame to see it left to fall apart like it is.

It has been recorded as a residents-only licence on the public revenue register since 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It has been recorded as a residents-only licence on the public revenue register since 2012

Can you link me to that please? I can only find the renewal list. just curious as i live next door and it would explain a few things, they still serve customers , but just dont have much to actually serve. they have almost no stock, no food, but do have some people staying there.

They were fully open to the public up till 2015 with food and drink.

The lists on the site are replaced every month. I have the end of year lists going back to 2011 (not 2012 as I thought) here as I asked Revenue for them

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tuning Fork in Rathfarnham - going to be a funeral home

Nice for the oul customers to have one last visit

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Nice for the oul customers to have one last visit

"One for the road" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

The Dollymount House in Clontarf.

Always a big barn of a place, and with a massive clientele.

It used to have a crèche on Saturdays! Parents could have their kids looked after while they got wasted.

IIRC the pub was sold for over €12m to a developer.

I took these rare photographs in 2013 as yet another pub was demolished to make way for yet another block of Flats.

447342.jpg

447344.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

deandean wrote: »
    The Dollymount House in Clontarf.
    Always a big barn of a place, and with a massive clientele.
    It used to have a crèche on Saturdays! Parents could have their kids looked after while they got wasted.

Sad pictures! The carvery there was great... I'd say that was a bigger lure Saturday lunchtimes than the bar itself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Always be Smyths to locals, and yes it's not on botanic road, it's on the phibsborough road. Someone mentioned Doyles in phibsborough being gone, first I've heard of it. It's a semi regular haunt of mine and I've drank in there as recently as February. I hope to christ Peacock doesn't aquire the Addison, he's not a very popular guy in the finglas east/glasnevin area for reasons I won't go into.
    (other people's opinions not mine)

PM please

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    PM please

Nah I'm married lol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There will always be a demand for pubs and bars but I’m convinced that pubs are now in decline everywhere now.

The golden era of the Irish pub is coming to an end.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There will always be a demand for pubs and bars but I’m convinced that pubs are now in decline everywhere now.

The golden era of the Irish pub is coming to an end.

Actual operational numbers in Dublin have been increasing since about 2015. There's still closures but they're outweighed by reopenings and some new builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

loyatemu wrote: »
    we know! - the same user corrected himself 2 posts later, over a year ago!

just saying........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Anybody know the name of the pub that is Dice Bar on Benburb St. before it was called Dice Bar.

Anybody know the name of the pub that is Dice Bar on Benburb St. before it was called Dice Bar.

Loughmans. Probably had other names too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Loughmans. Probably had other names too though.

Could be dreaming but was it Nolans at one stage?

ollaetta wrote: »
    Could be dreaming but was it Nolans at one stage?

Your correct. It ceased trading as Nolans in 1998. I frequented the Museum Rest at the time, also sadly no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Your correct. It ceased trading as Nolans in 1998. I frequented the Museum Rest at the time, also sadly no more.

Never had the pleasure of the Rest. Several intentions over the years. Had moved to Stoneybatter in 2011 and then that bloody fire on 2012 Paddy's Day...

Never got to go to the original McGettigans either that I recall. But was at a funeral as a childer ca. 1996 so it's possible that I did then from given whose funeral it was.

That being said, loved Mathew's.

It was some spot the 'Burb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Any idea when Dolly Heffernans pub closed down in Dublin 15. I don't know why it popped into my head this morning, had a search online and it seems to be closed, maybe late 2000s? The last time I was in it was probably 2007 :D

Advertisement