Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'm actually surprised it was still open in 2007, but it was not much longer after than when it shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Dalcassian wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm back again looking for information on another long gone public house. It was situated along the south bank of the canal going east from Harold's Cross Bridge. I think it was called "The Grove". It was the last building before Cathal Bruagh Barracks and was actually built against the wall of the barracks. It sat a bit back from the road.
    I would love to see any photos of it.
    Hoping for help here.
    Joe

9N3Jj8h
    https://imgur.com/a/9N3Jj8h

Picture of the Grove Inn. Was posted earlier today in a Facebook group :https://www.facebook.com/groups/olddublinpubs/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

The tuning fork, rathfarnham

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

AnneFrank wrote: »
    The tuning fork, rathfarnham

Soon to be a funeral home!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

retalivity wrote: »

Old customer reunion. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

retalivity wrote: »

I know it's awful, i worked there once upon a time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

On a related note I see Sheary's pub in Crumlin has changed hands, and now is Birchall's, any relation to the Ranelagh pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

francois wrote: »
    On a related note I see Sheary's pub in Crumlin has changed hands, and now is Birchall's, any relation to the Ranelagh pub?

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Processridge-Limited-569000

No other directorships listed but they could be the next generation of the family or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Richie2110

I know its an old thread. Just seen last night the blue gardenia in brittas (n81) reopened its doors last night. Great to see an iconic pub like this reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Richie2110 wrote: »
    I know its an old thread. Just seen last night the blue gardenia in brittas (n81) reopened its doors last night. Great to see an iconic pub like this reopening

Need to call it the Brittas Inn again :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

2 corkmen stopped me on the Quays after the recent hurling match.
    "Where's Zanzibar" they asked me.

I told them it was gone to make way for a hotel.
    They said they remembered it from the olden days.
    I told them to go over to Temple Bar that there'd still be loads of old places that they'd remember.

No, it wouldn't do, Zanzibar was the place for them.

I felt sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

imme wrote: »

I told them to go over to Temple Bar that there'd still be loads of old places that they'd remember.

I felt sorry for them.

Zanzibar was the shpot for a Thursday night after you'd head to K3 after work.

Fat frogs all 'round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Zanzibar was the shpot for a Thursday night after you'd head to K3 after work.

Fat frogs all 'round.
    K3 true that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

The meeting place.

First time there I asked a bar woman where the toilet was she replied follow your nose, it was one of those sort of places.

The place was a mad house on many occasions, lots of joints and people dancing on the tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That pub has long since reopened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

The meeting place.

First time there I asked a bar woman where the toilet was she replied follow your nose, it was one of those sort of places.

The place was a mad house on many occasions, lots of joints and people dancing on the tables.

You would have got served in there with a school bag on your back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is McCloskey's in Donnybrook gone?! Was only in there a few weeks ago, closed today and looks like a planning permission notice outside

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is the big tree closing up today or tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Today I read. New hotel going in there. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

MOH wrote: »
    Is McCloskey's in Donnybrook gone?! Was only in there a few weeks ago, closed today and looks like a planning permission notice outside

Yep, looks like it's gone. Being replaced by residential units. Had a great little beer garden too.

• Advertisement

McGettigan's 78 Queen Street was closed last night at 10pm... not sure if it's gone or just some other reason for the early close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

McGettigan's 78 Queen Street was closed last night at 10pm... not sure if it's gone or just some other reason for the early close.

Unlikely.

It has done that the odd time before.

Probably match based.

McGettigans closed again tonight at 10.30... maybe they've stopped opening on Sundays? It wasn't opened on Wednesday night either iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

imme wrote: »

I felt sorry for them.

When they opened I think they called themselves the biggest bar in Dublin? I remember Fireworks on Tara Street/Pearse St was fairly big too. Couldn't fill it so it turned into a pool hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I loved Zanzibar, a big gang of us used to there every friday after work in Roches Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PriceWatch

Is the Richmond pub on Church Street closed down?

PriceWatch wrote: »
    Is the Richmond pub on Church Street closed down?

Been closed the last few times I've passed recently around 5pm.

Looks like the Blue Gardenia (also known as the Brittas Inn back in the day) in Brittas is opening again.

Bit of a strange one unless they're going to be doing a gastro pub type thing as it's a bit of the beaten track (save for the cottages at Gortlum) for drinkers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Looks like the Blue Gardenia (also known as the Brittas Inn back in the day) in Brittas is opening again.

Bit of a strange one unless they're going to be doing a gastro pub type thing as it's a bit of the beaten track (save for the cottages at Gortlum) for drinkers these days.

Will probably attract the “never mind the quality,pile it high” Sunday crowd!

• Advertisement

Will probably attract the “never mind the quality,pile it high” Sunday crowd!

Has to be offering food alright. It's not a pub you drop into without a car so couldn't see it lasting just relying on local drinking trade

Advertisement