Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been closed the last few times I've passed recently around 5pm.

Hope someone saves the massive Hudson Blue sign if it's closed or re-fit; proper relic that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

McGettigans closed again tonight at 10.30... maybe they've stopped opening on Sundays? It wasn't opened on Wednesday night either iirc.

All the McGettigans signage is down outside but it was open Saturday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

All the McGettigans signage is down outside but it was open Saturday evening.

Just coming in to say that. Saw it yesterday evening and there appear to be ad new vinyls on the windows. Odd.

The operating company for that pub was put in to examinership as part of the refinancing of the whole group so there is a chance it was sold off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Baggot Inn. Once one of Dublin's premier live music venues. Christy Moore/Moving Hearts, Brush Shiels and various other up and coming (and now all mostly gone) Irish bands used to play there regularly.

It's now a bank. Can't remember the name. It's got three initials and they like to think they're "The bank of you" :P

• Advertisement

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Baggot Inn. Once one of Dublin's premier live music venues. Christy Moore/Moving Hearts, Brush Shiels and various other up and coming (and now all mostly gone) Irish bands used to play there regularly.

It's now a bank. Can't remember the name. It's got three initials and they like to think they're "The bank of you" :P

Is it not Xico now? Or was the old Baggot inn split into different units including KBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Is it not Xico now? Or was the old Baggot inn split into different units including KBC?

The old Baggot Inn's been gone for at least 10 years (probably a lot longer but then I'd have to face the fact I'm getting old!)- Google maps from 2009 shows an Aviva office where KBC is now. Think it's been Xico's for at least 4 years, and the version that was there before that was much closer to Xico's than the original.

Was a great spot though, both for live music and massive lunches. Vague memory Jack Charlton part owned it near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

It's definitely where the KBC bank is now. to gain access to the music venue you had to go down the laneway beside Ishamel's kebabs, which I'm pleased to note still seems to be there.

Maybe it extended into what is Xico's now as well but it definitely was on the corner with the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's definitely where the KBC bank is now. to gain access to the music venue you had to go down the laneway beside Ishamel's kebabs, which I'm pleased to note still seems to be there.

Maybe it extended into what is Xico's now as well but it definitely was on the corner with the lane.

It was pretty big, it was the whole lot from Xico's to the corner and well back down the lane.

Actually that whole site is pretty relevant for this thread in general, though many are still in existence:
    https://www.danodublinimages.com/ONE-FOR-THE-B%C3%93THAR

Xoxo retains the original licence from the Baggott down to the serial number

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    Xoxo retains the original licence from the Baggott down to the serial number
    And the premises originally opened under the name The Baggott Inn, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I know it was mentioned already on the thread, but the Neds early house on Townsend Street, is physically gone. The whole block is currently being demolished and its half done, I would say it will be completely gone by the end of today!

Hughes Bar on Chancery St was shut on Saturday afternoon - not sure if it's gone or just a day off...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Ned's getting demolished

463871.jpg

463872.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭BandMember

Alex Higgins used to "hustle" the drinkers in Ned's on the pool table many moons ago. That's probably the places greatest claim to fame.

(I mean that in a good way)

McGettigans closed again tonight at 10.30... maybe they've stopped opening on Sundays? It wasn't opened on Wednesday night either iirc.

Was closed yesterday again at 8pm

All painted and signage back up .....

Forgot to come on and comment that it was re-signed and open last weekend. Very random opening hours won't help local trade but there'll always be people passing on their way to Token, Ryans or Dice Bar I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The tenters pub in blackpitts. I thought it would be re-opened as part of the redevelopment of the student apts behind it, but looks like they've just kept the facade - inside is a massive empty room

5b314c5e9c5a0f89cbf7a26c15bed919.png

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Magnums.Upper O'Connell street.

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Magnums. Upper O'Connell street.

What's there now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hughes Bar on Chancery St was shut on Saturday afternoon - not sure if it's gone or just a day off...

I very much hope it's not closed down; in my going out days I absolutely loved M Hughes. When the Cobblestone was black with people it was a lovely 7-minute walk away to escape to for a quiet drink where you could hear the person you were talking with. Music without amplifiers, quietly played in one of the corners. Drinks reasonably priced, and Tayto crisps.

Yes, the decor was really poor - unchanged from about 1970 - and the layout was nothing to write home about but some of the best trad seisiúin I've witnessed in Dublin were there. A couple of times I saw Brendan Gleeson playing the fiddle there - on one night there were no fewer than 14 other fiddle players playing with him. But again, no blaring speakers so very authentic and less intrusive than the more touristy pubs. The snug in the front would have another, more intimate music or singing seisiún at the same time (again no amplifiers or speakers which was great); I don't think I've ever been in Hughes's when there was only one seisiún on.

Strangely, they never, ever seemed to advertise the pub so hopefully it's only closed to refurbish the whole place and will open up as the same great trad seisiúin but promoted more. Definitely a hidden gem of Dublin's night life (like An Góilín Traditional Singers' Club).

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Magnums. Upper O'Connell street.

Madigans? If so, I remember when it was called "19 O'Connell" in about 1988 (remember listening to Feargal Sharkey singing 'You Little Thief' on the jukebox around then).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

What's there now?

Nothing at all,its right at the side of The Gresham in between that and the 19 O'Connell(Madigans). It was called Legends of Sound for a few years after Magnums.

Yeah, the Baggot Inn was huge. I vaguely recall no less than David Bowie being in there one night (U2 another night) in the late 1980s. That was some coup for a pub.

A quick google, and apparently it was in 1991 that Bowie played in the Baggot Inn:

'Six times David Bowie rocked Ireland'

beertons wrote: »
    Is the big tree closing up today or tomorrow?

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Today I read. New hotel going in there. Shame.

Very surprised that The Big Tree is also gone. They must have got a crazy price for it. On big match days only Quinns equalled it in terms of the crowd. According to Louis Fitzgerald, in one day last August The Big Tree took in over €200,000. In a single day. Although the sign says The Big Tree is there since 1453AD, according to the hugely informative Buildings of Ireland architectural database, the existing building is there since 1825, almost 200 years ago. I wonder how much demolition Dublin's planners in 2018 are allowing them to get away with on a 200-year-old building.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Very surprised that The Big Tree is also gone. They must have got a crazy price for it. On big match days only Quinns equalled it in terms of the crowd. According to Louis Fitzgerald, in one day last August The Big Tree took in over €200,000. In a single day. Although the sign says The Big Tree is there since 1453AD, according to the hugely informative Buildings of Ireland architectural database, the existing building is there since 1825, almost 200 years ago. I wonder how much demolition Dublin's planners in 2018 are allowing them to get away with on a 200-year-old building.

But other than match days it was never open. You could open a hotel and get 200 a room for 50 rooms every night. Or have 5 big nights a year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

matrim wrote: »
    But other than match days it was never open. You could open a hotel and get 200 a room for 50 rooms every night. Or have 5 big nights a year

It used to be open for student nights a lot, going back 20 years...wonder why they stopped thst

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Players Lounge in Fairview.
    Gutted in a fire around 7 years ago after a tumultuous past... does Stokes still own it?
    Such an eyesore and wish it was put to good use.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Players Lounge in Fairview.
    Gutted in a fire around 7 years ago after a tumultuous past... does Stokes still own it?
    Such an eyesore and wish it was put to good use.

Bring back the Fairview Inn, am pretty sure the Players Lounge is on the site of it or rather what's left of it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Always be Smyths to locals, and yes it's not on botanic road, it's on the phibsborough road. Someone mentioned Doyles in phibsborough being gone, first I've heard of it. It's a semi regular haunt of mine and I've drank in there as recently as February. I hope to christ Peacock doesn't aquire the Addison, he's not a very popular guy in the finglas east/glasnevin area for reasons I won't go into.
    (other people's opinions not mine)
    it will always be Bushes to the locals!

Advertisement