Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

BandMember wrote: »
    Alex Higgins used to "hustle" the drinkers in Ned's on the pool table many moons ago. That's probably the places greatest claim to fame.

(I mean that in a good way)

My mother grew up in pubs (run by my grandfather) around north of England and says she always remembers Higgins pillaging the soft locals for every penny they'd have. She hated him and has said she couldn't count the amount of scuffs he would have gotten into with my grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Anybody know what happened Larry Murphys on Baggot St.

I know it's shut but seemed to be in a prime location?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

jetsonx wrote: »

The ESB bought it. I think it's being knocked, or at least incorporated, into the redevelopment of their offices on Fitzwilliam Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

jetsonx wrote: »

Very unfortunate name for a pub. Wonder was business affected in any way after the stories emerged of its namesake.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Very unfortunate name for a pub. Wonder was business affected in any way after the stories emerged of its namesake.

I doubt it.

The people that would have frequented it around when it closed would have not been swayed by such things.

• Advertisement

The ESB bought it. I think it's being knocked, or at least incorporated, into the redevelopment of their offices on Fitzwilliam Street.

They wouldn't dare knock it after the criminal damage they caused to the street originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They wouldn't dare knock it after the criminal damage they caused to the street originally.

Have you seen fitzwilliam st recently? The whole lime of buildings next to it has been levelled already

retalivity wrote: »
    Have you seen fitzwilliam st recently? The whole lime of buildings next to it has been levelled already

I have indeed. On it every single day. I think if you knew your history of the street you would know what I am referring to.

You would also realise that the demolition of the "line of buildings" or in this case, one building, is one of the best things to have happened to it since Stephenson's monstrosity went up in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Sinnotts on the Green, the original pub, before The Green Centre was built.

It used to be a small place with great genuine Irish pub atmosphere. I used to go there regularly and was in it one Friday night, being served by Mr Sinnott, and I was there until closing time. I went back the next day, Saturday afternoon, to find it closed - gone for good, without a word said the night before.

Work then started on the building of the new centre and the name Sinnotts was revived, but the new place wasn't the same. It did its best to look Olde Worlde, but it twas too 'designer made' and never looked or felt like the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ger Roe wrote: »

It used to be a small place with great genuine Irish pub atmosphere. I used to go there regularly and was in it one Friday night, being served by Mr Sinnott, and I was there until closing time. I went back the next day, Saturday afternoon, to find it closed - gone for good, without a word said the night before.

Work then started on the building of the new centre and the name Sinnotts was revived, but the new place wasn't the same. It did its best to look Olde Worlde, but it twas too 'designer made' and never looked or felt like the original.

'Mr. Sinnott' was Eugene Wilson. A real gent. Brother of former Tanaiste John Wilson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I believe it is to be integrated in to the new build, which is pastiche Georgian.

It is still licenced but I can't see the ESB joining SIPTU as a employer with a licenced bar on site!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Was closed yesterday again at 8pm

All painted and signage back up .....

McGettingans open tonight - seems like the most lacklustered opening days/time in Dublin.
    The tenters pub in blackpitts. I thought it would be re-opened as part of the redevelopment of the student apts behind it, but looks like they've just kept the facade - inside is a massive empty room

5b314c5e9c5a0f89cbf7a26c15bed919.png

The facade and building is a protected structure hence why they have had to built around that section of land and re-do it. There was rumours Teelings was going to open Grays on Newmarket but doesn't seem likely.

Scholars Bar in Blackpitts looks to be turning into very nice apartments from the outset. Protected structure so they couldn't knock it, least it's now being utilised - fairly certain it hasn't been a pub in over 10 years iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Scholars Bar in Blackpitts looks to be turning into very nice apartments from the outset. Protected structure so they couldn't knock it, least it's now being utilised - fairly certain it hasn't been a pub in over 10 years iirc.

Had my 21st in there and that was a little bit longer than 10 years ago...:pac:

Birneybau wrote: »

As did a mate of mine about 13 years ago. Madness.

Scholars and then a feed in the Manhattan. Sunrise, sunset.

Watched the 2002 Ireland World Cup games there at the prime age of 11 years old.... nothing better than being dragged to the pub at 7am by your parents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Watched the 2002 Ireland World Cup games there at the prime age of 11 years old.... nothing better than being dragged to the pub at 7am by your parents :D

Would be a fantastic spot for a pub now, but according to yourself, that time has passed. Feck all boozers I'd drink in the length of Clanbrassil Street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Ger Roe wrote: »

It used to be a small place with great genuine Irish pub atmosphere.

The original Sinnott's was not actually on the Green, but at no.3, South King Street.

The present pub is just a re-use of the name, it bears no resemblance to the old pub.

Would be a fantastic spot for a pub now, but according to yourself, that time has passed. Feck all boozers I'd drink in the length of Clanbrassil Street

Ahem the Harold House...

Also Kavanagh's of New St is a gem.

Ahem the Harold House...

My parents local, my nans local previous... Family institution. New paint job though... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

My parents local, my nans local previous... Family institution. New paint job though... :pac:

Never mind that - what time did McGettigans close last night? :p

Peadar browns is a quare spot on a sunday evening...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Builders in at Burkes on Amiens Street; no planning in for anything but the site behind has an application for apartments and the drawings have Burkes marked as "other lands in applicant ownership"; and that applicant is the company that owns Foleys on Merrion Row. I'd say that's a good sign for it reopening.

Where?

Where?

Across the junction on clanbrassil st from kavanaghs, next to the 4 takeaways. May have been called something else years back, i cant remember. Been in its current guise for a few years anyway

Across the junction on clanbrassil st from kavanaghs, next to the 4 takeaways. May have been called something else years back, i cant remember. Been in its current guise for a few years anyway

Ah yes. It's in its other guises that I recall it.

Kate Kearney's at one stage? Am I right?

As an aside, Sushida is one of the best sushi spots in the city and the chicken fillet burger from the Chicken Hut is something else too. And I've had it sober as well to make sure. :)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Never mind that - what time did McGettigans close last night? :p

Was open at 11pm on Wednesday :D
    Kate Kearney's at one stage? Am I right?

Kate McCauleys I think you mean

Was open at 11pm on Wednesday :D

Kate McCauleys I think you mean

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Anyone remember the name of the nightclub/pub which was in the spot where Oscars is on Christchurch now? Going back about 10 years

Advertisement