Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Anyone remember the name of the nightclub/pub which was in the spot where Oscars is on Christchurch now? Going back about 10 years

Handels???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Anyone remember the name of the nightclub/pub which was in the spot where Oscars is on Christchurch now? Going back about 10 years

Darky Kelly's (or something like that). Think Makikoni worked there, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Handels???

Nah don't think it was that about 10 years ago, was a nightclub.
    humberklog wrote: »
    Darky Kelly's (or something like that). Think Makikoni worked there, no?

Darky Kelly's is still there, it's just next door further down the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As Brick said above it was Handel's.

Named after GF Handel whose "Messiah"was performed for the first time in the area back in the day.

Some Great memories of 17yo me drinking pink aftershock on the day of my final LC exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

As Brick said above it was Handel's.

Named after GF Handel whose "Messiah"was performed for the first time in the area back in the day.

Some Great memories of 17yo me drinking pink aftershock on the day of my final LC exam.

Yeah definitly handels. Although possibly called something else in between. I seem to remember one incarnation of that place doing lots of cheap drink deals at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yeah definitly handels. Although possibly called something else in between. I seem to remember one incarnation of that place doing lots of cheap drink deals at one stage.

Ah yes. Just came back to me, it was called Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Yes, Karma was definitely the name of a darkish decor modern pub there whose most noteworthy contribution to Dublin at the time - c. 2003- was the cheapest pint, consistently. A few reviews here going back to 2009/2010. I think it was on two floors, but it was definitely down in a basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Whatever is happening Mother Redcaps, the pub? Somebody must have loads of money to be able to have it sitting there idle for the past 13 years. You'd think DCC would come in on heritage grounds, or even derelict building grounds, to do something.

It was one of Dublin's really, really great pubs for trad and folk music.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Owned by the guy who owns Blooms Hotel, he had grand plans for it and the Iveagh Market next door but not the money to do it. Council has revoked his lease on the market now but that wouldn't cover Mother Redcaps.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/heritage/dublin-city-council-to-move-to-reclaim-iveagh-markets-1.3209482

That's the one! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Kielys in Donnybrook is closed too I see. Was always popular with the rugby crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

gaiscioch wrote: »
    Yes, Karma was definitely the name of a darkish decor modern pub there whose most noteworthy contribution to Dublin at the time - c. 2003- was the cheapest pint, consistently. A few reviews here going back to 2009/2010. I think it was on two floors, but it was definitely down in a basement.

It wasn't in a basement.

I worked both here and next door in Darkeys. The barman in the photo in that link was the bar manager at the time, he's working in The Harding Hotel (Darkeys) next door now.

I loved working on that street. There was myself and another doorman 'Fran (we shared the doors) and that barman above is Johnny.

The jacks was upstairs in Karma (still the same now with Oscars). Brought back good memories being in there two Fridays ago.... the horrible aftershock shots they used to sell and cheap pints :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Karma (and Darkeys next door) were brilliant.. Two completely different crowds but it was a great street to work a door. I was there for over three years and not one row in all that time.

The manager in Karma was Johnny, a lovely bloke and a complete headcase was Crummy (one of the bar staff). Last I heard she was teaching children, her class must be a howl.

I wish I had some photos of the place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Club 92 is closing again. For good, finally. New years eve apparently.

I'm amazed its still going. Of course they tried to have two nightclubs there; after the Baileys visitor centre flopped it was reopened as Rocksy or some name like that. Still have the licence active and all

Karma Stone on the corner of Wexford St looks to be getting gutted and all scaffolding outside.

Karma Stone on the corner of Wexford St looks to be getting gutted and all scaffolding outside.

Planning in to change the frontage has signage with "The Landmark" as its new name.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Needs Must wrote: »
    Kielys in Donnybrook is closed too I see. Was always popular with the rugby crowd.

I used to watch rugby in there, always wedged. But about 3 years ago I went in for a pint on either a Friday or Saturday night and it was completely empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Cienciano wrote: »
    I used to watch rugby in there, always wedged. But about 3 years ago I went in for a pint on either a Friday or Saturday night and it was completely empty.

Very odd situation there. Family run business AFAIK. If they decided to throw the towel in surely it would make more sense to sell it as a running business than a closed up shop. Is Arthur Maynes the only pub in Donnybrook now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

previously The Junction and Barney Murphys back when I was at DIT. Neither were particularly great but it was the nearest pub to the college (apart from the seriously dodgy Aungier House)

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Very odd situation there. Family run business AFAIK. If they decided to throw the towel in surely it would make more sense to sell it as a running business than a closed up shop. Is Arthur Maynes the only pub in Donnybrook now?

Sold for redevelopment I thought? So not intended to be a pub after

L1011 wrote: »
    Sold for redevelopment I thought? So not intended to be a pub after

Different ball game so - fair enoughski

Black Horse Inn looks dire after only a year or so closed. No planning in for the site, pub is boarded up with nothing obvious happening.

As goes Donnybrook, O'Connells is nominally a pub anyway - do they serve non-diners?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Big Nasty wrote: »

McCloskey's looked to still be open last time I passed a couple of weeks ago, not sure when the redevelopment there is due to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

MOH wrote: »
    McCloskey's looked to still be open last time I passed a couple of weeks ago, not sure when the redevelopment there is due to start.

I was in there a couple of weeks ago, very few there, it was a bad night though to be fair

21/25

L1011 wrote: »
    As goes Donnybrook, O'Connells is nominally a pub anyway - do they serve non-diners?

Pretty much a restaurant now AFAIK
    uch wrote: »
    I was in there a couple of weeks ago, very few there, it was a bad night though to be fair

Thought it was closed. Wouldn't have imagined it to be too lively anyway.

Maynes strikes me as a bit too 'hip' to be a proper boozer.

The longest running and still successful establishment in Donnybrook now appears to be Abrakebabra! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭tomofson

Club 92 is closing again. For good, finally. New years eve apparently.

I seriously doubt that place will ever close for good.

A nightclub has been there since at least the early 70's

Its been 26 years as club 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

loyatemu wrote: »
    previously The Junction and Barney Murphys back when I was at DIT. Neither were particularly great but it was the nearest pub to the college (apart from the seriously dodgy Aungier House)

Always a dodgy crowd there though.
    I know students and local work gangs would go there, but there was often a cop car outside or some very shady characters knocking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

[QUOTE=Big Nasty;108626901

The longest running and still successful establishment in Donnybrook now appears to be Abrakebabra! :eek:[/QUOTE]

Or the SPAR shop including Insomnia.

Advertisement