Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Not sure if Rathfarnham is included, but the Tuning Fork was an institution.

A proper rural pub with no frills and a good pint.

Now an undertakers

Had my first ever underage pint in there. Shame to see it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Had my first ever underage pint in there. Shame to see it gone.

They'd serve you in your school uniform! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Big Nasty wrote: »

Always hear that said about places and can never tell whether its in jest or not. Two actually did for me, The Horse Show House (during the young scientist, at that!) and a predecessor of what ended up being the second Fibbers on the quays (that's now closed)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »
    Always hear that said about places and can never tell whether its in jest or not. Two actually did for me, The Horse Show House (during the young scientist, at that!) and a predecessor of what ended up being the second Fibbers on the quays (that's now closed)

That was Out on the Liffey (There was a Sauna called ""Inn on the Liffey" just up for it so I guess that was the play on words coupled with it being gay friendly. I can't recall what it was before that.

My bus from Ballyer, 79, stopped outside it so it's actually shocking that I can't remember given some of the other useless stuff I recall.

And now as I write this, wasn't it called the Blue Duck before Fibbers, Out on the Liffey before that and then it's what it was before that I can't remember...

That was Out on the Liffey (There was a Sauna called ""Inn on the Liffey" just up for it so I guess that was the play on words coupled with it being gay friendly. I can't recall what it was before that.

My bus from Ballyer, 79, stopped outside it so it's actually shocking that I can't remember given some of the other useless stuff I recall.

And now as I write this, wasn't it called the Blue Duck before Fibbers, Out on the Liffey before that and then it's what it was before that I can't remember...

Was Company at the time I got served there in uniform, I think. Which was after Out On The Liffey. Was also called Elegance and the Fourt Courts Bar at various times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

When I first started visiting Dublin, 15-16 years old, the Bernie Inn on Nassau (where porterhouse is now possibly) was where we gravitated to, can’t recall age ever being an issue there.

Was Company at the time I got served there in uniform, I think. Which was after Out On The Liffey. Was also called Elegance and the Fourt Courts Bar at various times.

Four Courts Inn

Thanking you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wasn't it called the Blue Duck before Fibbers
    The Blue Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When I first started visiting Dublin, 15-16 years old, the Bernie Inn on Nassau (where porterhouse is now possibly) was where we gravitated to, can’t recall age ever being an issue there.

Would have been judge roy beans then. There was a spot further down the road at the corner of kildare st, had 1€ pints on mondays. Place was a kip, cant rem the name of it, apparently it was a money laundering front for the ra!

retalivity wrote: »
    Would have been judge roy beans then. There was a spot further down the road at the corner of kildare st, had 1€ pints on mondays. Place was a kip, cant rem the name of it, apparently it was a money laundering front for the ra!

Was talking bout early-mid 80s when it was bernie inn i think. Don’t know of that spot on Kildare st. Another place we did go once or twice and got served no problem was rices, didn’t strike me at the time it was a gay bar and wouldn’t have much cared anyway as long as the barman said yea to our order.

• Advertisement

Sorry...i read 15-16 years ago , not old

Sorry...i read 15-16 years ago , not old

Hah, I wish ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭francois

Was talking bout early-mid 80s when it was bernie inn i think. Don’t know of that spot on Kildare st. Another place we did go once or twice and got served no problem was rices, didn’t strike me at the time it was a gay bar and wouldn’t have much cared anyway as long as the barman said yea to our order.

It was the Bernie inn, had my first pint in there at 15 (Smithwicks and lime-shudder!)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

retalivity wrote:

Ah judge Roy beans,I always liked that spot,pity the porter house bought it a made s**t of it

BeerNut wrote: »
    The Blue Goose.

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ah lads, give it the proper title;

The Berni Inn - key part of British cultural heritage from the 60s and 70s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berni_Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

There was a spot further down the road at the corner of kildare st. Place was a kip, cant rem the name of it, apparently it was a money laundering front for the ra!

That was a hotel, Willie O'Dea used stay there midweek when he was Minister for Defence.
    He was told to stay away from it by the Special Branch, as people who stayed in the room at weekends had, or could, bug the room!

Just imagine, the military secrets of this great world power might have been leaked to Trump, Putin or the Taliban!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Hence it was an institution :)

tabbey wrote: »
    That was a hotel, Willie O'Dea used stay there midweek when he was Minister for Defence.
    He was told to stay away from it by the Special Branch, as people who stayed in the room at weekends had, or could, bug the room!

Just imagine, the military secrets of this great world power might have been leaked to Trump, Putin or the Taliban!

I just remembered the name of the place (well, the name of it from the early 2000s) - Peig's

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I just remembered the name of the place (well, the name of it from the early 2000s) - Peig's
    Having previously been Peg Woffington's in the '90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Planning in to change the frontage has signage with "The Landmark" as its new name.

Opening on Friday - seems to be a sister pub to The Jar going by Instagram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Opening on Friday - seems to be a sister pub to The Jar going by Instagram.

That's the former Corner/Karma Stone reopening as the Landmark(I know it's been mentioned before, just for clarity,it's a few pages back)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

MOH wrote: »
    That's the former Corner/Karma Stone reopening as the Landmark(I know it's been mentioned before, just for clarity,it's a few pages back)

formerly "The Junction" in my days in DIT Kevin Street

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mick121 wrote: »
    Ah judge Roy beans,I always liked that spot,pity the porter house bought it a made s**t of it

WTF? Didn't think much of it when it was JRB's but it's a great place now for a feed and a few pints.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Riskymove wrote: »
    formerly "The Junction" in my days in DIT Kevin Street

The upstairs was for students (they wouldn't serve you downstairs!) and it had burst but very comfy sofas. Place was always packed. A couple of years later they got greedy, took away all the sofas and left it as mostly empty floor with a few tiny tall tables and stools. Pack in more people and get them to drink faster with nowhere to sit down, they thought. Everybody stopped going there. It's not like there was a shortage of pubs in the area!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wasn't sure if it was there or the Blarney Inn just before the turn onto Kildare St.

Peigs on a Monday night in college with drinks for a pound and waitresses going around with vodka jelly that had little to no vodka in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Saw an article earlier saying that lillies bordello is closing in January and reopening in February/March as something different.

The upstairs was for students (they wouldn't serve you downstairs!) and it had burst but very comfy sofas. Place was always packed. A couple of years later they got greedy, took away all the sofas and left it as mostly empty floor with a few tiny tall tables and stools. Pack in more people and get them to drink faster with nowhere to sit down, they thought. Everybody stopped going there. It's not like there was a shortage of pubs in the area!

Walked past today and had a gander in and it doesn't like they've done much to the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

matrim wrote: »
    Saw an article earlier saying that lillies bordello is closing in January and reopening in February/March as something different.

Just a revamp/rebrand.

• Advertisement

Pretty much a restaurant now AFAIK

I think by the time we posted this, O'Connells had actually closed.

It is currently this:

http://decemberfest.ie/about-us/

Which unsurprisingly, is seasonal. Pub is up for rent.

I am not aware of such a rapid de-population of pubs in an area ever before. Presumably the reduction in Leinster games in Donnybrook had an impact on profits but this is a severe cut to lose 3 of 5 licences (Maynes and the hotel being the remainers) in such a short period.

Advertisement