Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

L1011 wrote: »
    Planning went in to demolish the Blackhorse Inn (Inchicore) in November, replacement with 56 apartments and a cafe. Must have been lodged almost immediately after I did my last planning search as I was wondering why there hadn't been any movement on it for ages.

Cafe could end up retaining the licence going on some recent developments.

Awful waste of a good plot of land since the pub closed. Luas on the doorstep also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The Long Stone will be on this list come this weekend.

Think it was mentioned here that it was closed but the Lamplighter on the Coombe has reopened. New windows, assuming it was another request from Kevin St, the same as The Lark Inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wonder what will happen the fixtures in the Long Stone, especially the fireplace

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think it was mentioned here that it was closed but the Lamplighter on the Coombe has reopened. New windows, assuming it was another request from Kevin St, the same as The Lark Inn.

Even if not requested by AGS, who wants to drink in a pub that looks like a military bunker?

It was a common look in the 60s across the city but there's only a handful left like that. Lamplighter was far from the most bunker-like anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wonder what will happen the fixtures in the Long Stone, especially the fireplace

There's a life size suit of armour... though about doing a weekend with Bernie's with it as I was leaving last weekend after one last drink there for old times sake :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I drove by this afternoon. A serious improvement TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

BeerNut wrote: »
    Having previously been Peg Woffington's in the '90s.

Before it was Peigs it was Club Nassau, or Club Nausea as we used to call it. That would have been the very early 90’s, I was a student in trinity and it was the last resort on many’s a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Just walking back to work there after lunch and passed the Long Stone. They were clearing out all the seats / benches. The door was open so could see the inside being torn apart, but could still see the fireplace at the back, they haven't ripped it out yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its some fireplace in fairness which has me intrigued as to where it might end up...Id say someone might buy it for their pretty large house or it could end up being exported by an architectural salvage company to be used in another pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

New pp lodged for rosies in Harolds Cross. Apartments and a small bar with a sandwich bar attached

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

w/s/p/c/ wrote: »
    Just walking back to work there after lunch and passed the Long Stone. They were clearing out all the seats / benches. The door was open so could see the inside being torn apart, but could still see the fireplace at the back, they haven't ripped it out yet.

Is that the ruin bar? Lots of people in it last night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Is that the ruin bar? Lots of people in it last night

No, that’s on the corner..old MacTurcaill’s. Long Stone is/was further up towards Pearse Street Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Collie D wrote: »
    No, that’s on the corner..old MacTurcaill’s. Long Stone is/was further up towards Pearse Street Garda Station.

How long is Mac Turcaills gone now? I'm guessing this ruin bar isn't €3.30 or so for a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    How long is Mac Turcaills gone now? I'm guessing this ruin bar isn't €3.30 or so for a pint.

Mac Turcaills is gone about 4 years now.
    No, ruin don't charge €3.30 for a pint, more like €6.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's been gone a good enough while now.

And ahem, it's not Fowler's, it's the Top County. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭headnorth

imme wrote: »
    Mac Turcaills is gone about 4 years now.
    No, ruin don't charge €3.30 for a pint, more like €6.

Loved Mac Turcaills on a Sunday evening/night.Football on the tv and the trad session up on the snug & 3.50 pints.I think it was the same on tuesday night too. Nowadays... :(

URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poaIVBIrj]aIVBIr.jpg[/URL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Going rate to be honest for City Centre.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Far too expensive drinking in Dublin these days out from a handful of pubs. I suppose Weatherspoons will be taking over soon but I'm not a fan of them either for other reasons.

• Advertisement

Weatherspoons isn't as cheap as it was when it came to Ireland... still cheaper than 6 quid a pint mind you!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

Weatherspoons isn't as cheap as it was when it came to Ireland... still cheaper than 6 quid a pint mind you!
    2.95 Beamish in Dun Laoghaire still! And a few lagers also. By my reckoning it's the cheapest pint in Ireland. So Dublin has both the cheapest and most expensive pints in Ireland. Although the pints aren't that nice and it's more like drinking in a restaurant with no atmosphere. I prefer stools at the bar chatting to people, the English pubs are a bit devoid of character.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    2.95 Beamish in Dun Laoghaire still! And a few lagers also. By my reckoning it's the cheapest pint in Ireland. So Dublin has both the cheapest and most expensive pints in Ireland. Although the pints aren't that nice and it's more like drinking in a restaurant with no atmosphere. I prefer stools at the bar chatting to people, the English pubs are a bit devoid of character.

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!! Sitting there one night and it completely changed! Kept their prices as is so was good tbf.

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!! Sitting there one night and it completely changed! Kept their prices as is so was good tbf.

One in Glasgow on a Saturday night had gangs of young wans drinking pitchers of Fat Frog, each!

Birneybau wrote: »
    One in Glasgow on a Saturday night had gangs of young wans drinking pitchers of Fat Frog, each!

Same as Newcastle! Why not sure!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

One of the Wetherspoons in Newcastle turns into a Nightclub!
    That's the "Lloyd's No. 1" sub-brand. There's usually at least one in any major city.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I'll miss the Long Stone, maybe not the best 'boozing' pub but it holds some special memories for me and what a memorable layout...

14941831673339.jpg

Had a look into the Longstone earlier and its completely gutted, you can see right into the back, bar at the front is gone. The fireplace is gone, a tiny bit of the "beard" remains. Looks like it was chipped away at with a kango hammer so I wouldn't be confident the rest of it was saved! Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Had a look into the Longstone earlier and its completely gutted, you can see right into the back, bar at the front is gone. The fireplace is gone, a tiny bit of the "beard" remains. Looks like it was chipped away at with a kango hammer so I wouldn't be confident the rest of it was saved! Shame.

I don't see what the big deal is with this pub. It was a modern build made to look old. It was a dark dirty kip in my opinion.

Col_30 wrote: »

I don't see what the big deal is with this pub. It was a modern build made to look old. It was a dark dirty kip in my opinion.

Wouldn't have gone out of my way to visit it myself. And I work down the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Used to go there the odd time after work 20-odd years ago. Was never a fan of it.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement