Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Long Stone, back in my college days it was one of the few city centre pubs on a Saturday night that was 18s not 21s.
    I can remember queues to go in. Some epic nights there.

And the layout, all corners and nooks and crannies ... Ross O'Carroll Kelly would love the place, he could have three Mounties on the go there at the same time and none of the girls would cop on!

Wasn't a fan of the more recent revamp with the not quite outside smoking area.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The hotel that's basically built on top of The Tenters is opening shortly. The bar is apparently on the top floor and not in the old pub, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

L1011 wrote: »
    The hotel that's basically built on top of The Tenters is opening shortly. The bar is apparently on the top floor and not in the old pub, though.

The ground floor where the pub was is completely open space looks like a reception or event area

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Amazing thread. Spent hours reading through and ended up with a strong dose of nostalgia - not alone for places i may have known but also for places i never heard of.

Scholars Bar in Blackpitts looks to be turning into very nice apartments from the outset. Protected structure so they couldn't knock it, least it's now being utilised - fairly certain it hasn't been a pub in over 10 years iirc.

Have worked around that area until recently. Have seen that place and it always struck me as a place that was ideal for a bar/venue/beer garden/smoking area close to town and could never understand why it was derelict for so long.

Just remembering back to my very first job which was in Golden Lane, D8 about 20years aho now!! There was a bikers pub on the junction as you came up from Aungier Street (747 Travel) to Golden Lane and the Woodchester/GE Offices that are now the Raddison Hotel. Anybody remember what it was called? All knocked down now but back in the day it seemed totally out of bounds and never went in there despite working close by

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Clon63 wrote: »
    Amazing thread. Spent hours reading through and ended up with a strong dose of nostalgia - not alone for places i may have known but also for places i never heard of.

Have worked around that area until recently. Have seen that place and it always struck me as a place that was ideal for a bar/venue/beer garden/smoking area close to town and could never understand why it was derelict for so long.

Just remembering back to my very first job which was in Golden Lane, D8 about 20years aho now!! There was a bikers pub on the junction as you came up from Aungier Street (747 Travel) to Golden Lane and the Woodchester/GE Offices that are now the Raddison Hotel. Anybody remember what it was called? All knocked down now but back in the day it seemed totally out of bounds and never went in there despite working close by

Know the pub you are thinking of, was it charlies or Charlie something? Rings a bell anyway, was off the road a bit, through a car park maybe. Not been round that way in a bit so memory a bit fuzzy. The chinaman was another biker place just down the road a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yup on the roof - can see it from road level, say it will have some nice views! Fully glass by the looks.
    Clon63 wrote: »

Never really seemed to have a footfall - it ended up attracting a dodgy crowd eventually. Such a large place (up and downstairs) it obviously was expensive to run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Know the pub you are thinking of, was it charlies or Charlie something? Rings a bell anyway, was off the road a bit, through a car park maybe. Not been round that way in a bit so memory a bit fuzzy. The chinaman was another biker place just down the road a bit.

Charlie's Bar was on Aungier St i.e. the main road. Don't remember the place you're talking about but my student days in that area are between 25 and 30 years ago now :eek: :eek:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Col_30 wrote: »
    I don't see what the big deal is with this pub. It was a modern build made to look old. It was a dark dirty kip in my opinion.

You're right there is no big deal with this pub. But isn't this thread about pubs (kips or not), that have now ceased to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Charlie's Bar was on Aungier St i.e. the main road. Don't remember the place you're talking about but my student days in that area are between 25 and 30 years ago now :eek: :eek:

Yeah charlies bar, that’s it. My minds eye was placing it just off the main road, but wouldn’t be the first thing I’d be wrong about! I seem to recall bikes being parked outside it regularly so always thought of it as a bikers bar. Am sure original poster was referring to the chinaman which was down other direction towards Dublin castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clon63

Yeah charlies bar, that’s it. My minds eye was placing it just off the main road, but wouldn’t be the first thing I’d be wrong about! I seem to recall bikes being parked outside it regularly so always thought of it as a bikers bar. Am sure original poster was referring to the chinaman which was down other direction towards Dublin castle.

Could well have been - just have no idea what it was called but that location sounds dead right. It was just after all the Dunnes Stores buildings and before that turn down the cobbled road towards Dublin Castle. Never went in back in the day but saw enough and heard plenty of stories!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Anybody remember the Airways House on cathal bruagh st?

It had a mural of an airplane on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So the hoarding came down off Hourican's last week revealing a pristine forget exterior.

Anyone know what's going on?

I work near there. I walked right by it yesterday and didn't even notice :eek:

A few years back I found a pic on Dublin City Council's website from 1971 when it was called Kirwan House, and that concrete block monstrosity next to it was still an actual building.

472566.jpg

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

So the hoarding came down off Hourican's last week revealing a pristine forget exterior.

Anyone know what's going on?

As far as I know it was sold to The Sugar Club but I don't know any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I work near there. I walked right by it yesterday and didn't even notice :eek:

A few years back I found a pic on Dublin City Council's website from 1971 when it was called Kirwan House, and that concrete block monstrosity next to it was still an actual building.

472566.jpg

The Irish Sugar Building (aka the concrete block monstrosity) was built in the mid 60s. Prior to that it was the Magdalen Asylum Chapel.
    http://archiseek.com/2011/1868-magdalen-asylum-chapel-leeson-st-dublin/

Nice to see the hoarding down, I'd heard a rumour it's to become part of the sugar club

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry to see Uncle Tom's on the way out

https://www.fft.ie/uncle-toms-cabin-for-sale-at-e3-75m/24961

Speedsie wrote: »
    The Irish Sugar Building (aka the concrete block monstrosity)'

I wasn't talking about the Sugar Club, but the thing to the right of Hourican's.

I wasn't talking about the Sugar Club, but the thing to the right of Hourican's.

Oh yes, number 6, Christ only knows what's going on there!

In 1969 it was the Metropolitan Laundry.
    135_Metropolitan_Laundry.jpg

Actually, strike that, the Metropolitan Laundry looks more like where Joe's is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Speedsie wrote: »
    Oh yes, number 6, Christ only knows what's going on there!

In 1969 it was the Metropolitan Laundry.
    135_Metropolitan_Laundry.jpg

Sorry to go off topic,
    I've never seen any drain like that on Dublin streets before.
    It is most unusual.

I realise that it is a 50 year old image, maybe it is something they did way back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

imme wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic,
    I've never seen any drain like that on Dublin streets before.
    It is most unusual.

I realise that it is a 50 year old image, maybe it is something they did way back then.

Not a drain, rubber pressure pads, used to trigger traffic lights. When a certain number of cars passed over them, the lights would change.

Not guaranteed to go - but it does look likely

Any suburban pub with a large carpark is under severe threat of redevelopment now. We've lost plenty over the years to either apartments or retail - Deerpark Lounge, Blakestown Inn, Belgard Inn and Quinlans in Terenure all come to mind without checking my notes. And Bradys in Castleknock is on borrowed time I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

BowWow wrote: »
    Not a drain, rubber pressure pads, used to trigger traffic lights. When a certain number of cars passed over them, the lights would change.

Yes, it needed a car to make an impression. A Cyclist had to dismount and jump on the rubber hose. Nowadays some of them would ignore the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Perhaps they could build on the car park or demolish the outhouses, and retain the pub.

tabbey wrote: »
    Perhaps they could build on the car park or demolish the outhouses, and retain the pub.

More likely "positive" outcome is a new pub structure on the ground floor/basement of a new block. However the gap in time between closure/reopening can see custom fade away and sometimes the new structure just doesn't work.

Outside of Dublin, local to where I live we're about to see a pub vanish in to a retail unit reserved for a pub / retaining its licence in a 4 story apartment block. However it isn't a pub I'll miss in the slightest!

Sunset House is back up for rent, and this time it has actually been refurbished. When the Gannon's had it, it had a badly done lick of paint and was still a wreck https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-rent/summerhil-pde-north-circular-road-dublin-796369

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sunset House is back up for rent, and this time it has actually been refurbished. When the Gannon's had it, it had a badly done lick of paint and was still a wreck https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-rent/summerhil-pde-north-circular-road-dublin-796369

The original "refurb" on the Sunset into the Brendan Behan was criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

looks like a dump from the outside (it always has) but the inside looks ok apart from the pole in the middle of the floor but at least that could be entertainment sorted for the lads at night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

neris wrote: »
    looks like a dump from the outside (it always has) but the inside looks ok apart from the pole in the middle of the floor but at least that could be entertainment sorted for the lads at night

Not a stick of furniture in the place..it would cost a fortune to fit it out..you'd need to sell a lot of daytime pints to cover all that.

• Advertisement

One matchday at inflated prices would cover the cost of the fitout.

The interior was disgusting and the toilets worse in the Behan incarnation.

Advertisement