Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The Master wrote: »
    That was "Grace's" your thinking of

"Donovan's" was also known as "Ward's"

Donovan's was Barnstormers and the first pub Louis Fitzgerald bought on Mark St.
    Source I did the the design and build on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The Black sheep (Blacker) next to Northside Shopping Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Hootanany wrote: »
    Donovan's was Barnstormers and the first pub Louis Fitzgerald bought on Mark St.

One of Louis’s early pubs the traders in Greenhills was knocked down this year, new one being built under the new apartments along with a row of shops. Good bit smaller and it’s no longer a Fitzgerald pub (think he moved it on s few years back).
    Not famous but was a good spot years back when it had sloppy joes upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Esel wrote: »
    I think it was produced in The Peacock at least five years earlier?
    In 1967 actually. Closed down after three days! But pub was great.

The Black sheep (Blacker) next to Northside Shopping Centre
    No harm there! That was a wild place in its time.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »

Yep, no windows was a sure giveaway.

Yep, no windows was a sure giveaway.

By design or by bricks?

salmocab wrote: »
    By design or by bricks?
    I would say by design!

salmocab wrote: »
    By design or by bricks?

By design if I remember correctly. I grew up not far from it. Drank in it for a few years around the late 80s early 90s. Never a dull moment in that place

Changed the name many times over the year but was always known as the "Blacker". I heard it lost its licence indefinitely or was unable to get insurance due to excessive liability claims against it.

• Advertisement

Changed the name many times over the year but was always known as the "Blacker". I heard it lost its licence indefinitely or was unable to get insurance due to excessive liability claims against it.
    Plenty of stories down the years of punters getting even with each other or security. Was only ever in it once, at lunchtime and it was a dump but the only pub around for quite a bit.

I wonder would you include the old Goblet near Artane? A real drinking men's bar(almost no women in the bar!) until they turned it into a suburban brasserie!

I wonder would you include the old Goblet near Artane? A real drinking men's bar(almost no women in the bar!) until they turned it into a suburban brasserie!

It's still there and still called the Goblet. I heard that a lot of the crowd from the Blacker frequent it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hootanany wrote: »

Barnstormers moved, which causes much confusion. Pubs don't generally move!

Was on Capel Street at another time; that premises is still there - the Black Sheep, not connected with the one just mentioned on thread.

It's still there and still called the Goblet. I heard that a lot of the crowd from the Blacker frequent it now.
    I know that but had much more character before it got a facelift!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

L1011 wrote: »
    Sunday Times today says that The Dockers is reopening. Only closed for 15 years, sure you could just sweep the floor and change the kegs surely :pac:

This is after The Sackville reopening after 2.5 years closed two weeks ago; and the former Aungier House reopening last year after ~20 years.

are you saying the sackville reopened and then closed again?

tjc28 wrote: »

No, it was closed for two and a half years - just as an example of a long-ish term closure. It is still definitely open.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

tjc28 wrote: »

No, it was closed for two and a half years - just as an example of a long-ish term closure. It is still definitely open.

fantastic news. drank there for many years and was gutted when it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The bernard shaw is closing at the end of october, along with the eatyard

Loads of late 80s newspaper references to a pub called The Coliseum/Colosseum (and every potential misspelling of it, even in the same article) on St James Road Walkinstown; but the only pub there ever was on St James Road was The Traders which was already called that in the late 80s; and is more Greenhills than Walkinstown anyway.

There's one crappy pic in a Sunday World piece and its looks like a totally different building. The World would probably have called that end of the road Greenhills.

Where was this? Just a local nickname for another pub or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

That's where it was. The Traders changed names to the Colosseum during the 90s (I worked there from 94) but changed back after a short time. *** Louis Fitzgerald changed the name and layout of the pub when he bought it *** -

The inside had some "authentic Italian" bits and pieces dotted around it, a bit like the tat that gets put in Irish pubs around the world. in particular a large lion sitting in the middle of the pub.
    The name Colosseum never caught on with locals. It was always referred to as the Traders. Its being redeveloped with apartments, shops etc. But when the pub reopens, its likely it will be referred back to as the Traders no matter what name is over door.

Thanks - that's that knocked off my quite long list of pubs that I can't find. Was getting annoying as the name was turning up repeatedly in the Herald/Press/World in ads, articles, reviews and the like but wasn't ever on street directories - they kept The Traders all the way!

No probs! Yeah it was a very short lived change alright. When had you last visited the Traders before it closed? You didnt miss much in not getting to the Colosseum.

I've been to >500 different pubs in the city/county now but didn't get out to the Traders before it closed. South-west city inside the M50 is probably the area I've done the least in so far other than the North County villages.

L1011 - Do you have a link to the pic from the Sunday World ?

Its on a paid-for archive and really crap quality (scan) but I'll see if I can grab a copy later.

I'm assuming the fancy roof structures etc were just stuck on what was a much blockier building in that pic.

Rubbish, that place is probably the best pub within maybe 5 kms in any direction (Kavanagh's on the Malahide Road and the Beachcomber are the only ones to give it any stern competition. They take no crap and there's never an ounce of trouble in it. It is also an absolute goldmine as a result, I'd love to know what sort of profit they turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

The Quill besides the four courts was a great pub.

Playing chess against some random aul lad.

The sackville was brilliant with super pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

Is the sackville opened?

Really?

Dont be a mickey teasr.

• Advertisement

Its on a paid-for archive and really crap quality (scan) but I'll see if I can grab a copy later.

I'm assuming the fancy roof structures etc were just stuck on what was a much blockier building in that pic.

Yeah it was just done up to look a bit fancy, it was named the coliseum for a while but as the locals persisted with calling it the traders and more usually the trads it eventually went back to that name. Was a great spot back in the day. It was demolished this year and is currently ring built on with a new pub planned along with shops and apartments.

Advertisement