Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is the sackville opened?

Really?

Dont be a mickey teasr.

I was there two weeks ago, ~5pm on Saturday.

They have a few craft taps and the GAA jerseys are gone but its definitely open and mostly unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭jiltloop

retalivity wrote: »
    The bernard shaw is closing at the end of october, along with the eatyard

This one is a real shame. it's a pub I don't frequent as much due to change of living area but I would still have made a point of going there every so often. Will miss it now when it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

L1011 wrote: »

They have a few craft taps and the GAA jerseys are gone but its definitely open and mostly unchanged.

Wandered in finally last night for a couple. It was good to be back.

Wooden floor in rather than carpet, jerseys gone and lightbulb finally installed on landing to toilets.

Other than that, same little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Wandered in finally last night for a couple. It was good to be back.

Wooden floor in rather than carpet, jerseys gone and lightbulb finally installed on landing to toilets.

Other than that, same little gem.

Gis a shout next time you're around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭daveorourke77

You're right. I made a point of stopping in for a pint on the way to the match on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

You're right. I made a point of stopping in for a pint on the way to the match on Tuesday.

Gas. I wandered in after the match on Tuesday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I was reading last week about the Army Mutiny in 1924. An end was put to it in a place called Devlin's Hotel on Parnell Street, when the Irish Army surrounded the hotel. Anybody remember it?

Somebody has written a very informative article entirely about that hotel, but he/she doesn't say when Devlin's closed down. As you can see from the photo below (taken from that article), it was right next to Patrick Conway's pub (and what on earth is happening Conways, which is still closed down?)

Devlin’s of Parnell Street (8 August 2017)

devlins-parnell-street.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I was reading last week about the Army Mutiny in 1924. An end was put to it in a place called Devlin's Hotel on Parnell Street, when the Irish Army surrounded the hotel. Anybody remember it?

Somebody has written a very informative article entirely about that hotel, but he/she doesn't say when Devlin's closed down. As you can see from the photo below (taken from that article), it was right next to Patrick Conway's pub (and what on earth is happening Conways, which is still closed down?)

Devlin’s of Parnell Street (8 August 2017)

devlins-parnell-street.jpg

Must be closed 10 years now. Was in The Snapper, Colm meaney having a pint while waiting on daughter in rotunda.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

What was the Thomas Read and the adjoining Oak on Dame Street is now all called the Oak. Am I imagining things or was the Thomas Read later called the Ivy for a few years? If so I wonder was the name change anything to do with the Ivy restaurant opening up on Dawson St?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What was the Thomas Read and the adjoining Oak on Dame Street is now all called the Oak. Am I imagining things or was the Thomas Read later called the Ivy for a few years? If so I wonder was the name change anything to do with the Ivy restaurant opening up on Dawson St?

It was, not for too long..a pub of two halves for me, . always loved The Oak, a nice old fashioned quiet and comfortable pub, perfect for a couple of quick pre gig pints or a stop off Saturday or Sunday tea time after doing some shopping....Thomas Reads though was a bit dull I found, and not that comfy..

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

Yes, from what I've heard / read. The restaurant chain either threatened or initiated legal action

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Even though the pub was there first!

Plenty of pubs have similar names, they don't sue each other.

As if anyone would confuse a boozer with that poncy overpriced tip-stealing kip.

Ridiculous.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

The restaurant actually has a pub licence as it happens*. I presume they'd registered the trade name in advance. There's still the Ivy House and the Iveagh Bar in the Ashling Hotel though!

*suspect there's a concern among the cocktail heavy restaurants that they're stretching the rules on a Special Restaurant Licence about serving before/after the food cause loads of places that are sit down restaurants with no walk in or bar service have pub licences now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Number 8 Lower Mount Street was demolished last week.

In recent years, it was known as "Howl at the Moon", but for decades was O'Dwyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

gaiscioch wrote: »
    it was right next to Patrick Conway's pub (and what on earth is happening Conways

Just reading and Conway’s is closed either in ‘07 or ‘08 and just been sitting there shutters down ever since... I used to love heading in there for a couple of pints before a gig in the Ambassador or after doing some shopping in the Iilac, a real proper old school Dublin pub, gorgeous pint of Guinness.. i would have thought a few quid put into it and it could do quite well.. close proximity to the Ambassador, hospital, Moore St, bus stops and very central..

They had a reasonable music venue too upstairs I just remembered, the BoomBoom Room that was quite intimate and unique.

The stench of damp/rot coming from Conways now makes me very concerned about what little structural integrity it had left (those support beams are *old*)

Even though the pub was there first!

Plenty of pubs have similar names, they don't sue each other.

As if anyone would confuse a boozer with that poncy overpriced tip-stealing kip.

Ridiculous.

Found this when I needed to look for it for something else (blog post)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/name-claim-creeps-up-on-the-ivy-f6nht7qbx

paywalled but details the trademark reasons for the name change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Strumms wrote: »
    Just reading and Conway’s is closed either in ‘07 or ‘08 and just been sitting there shutters down ever since... I used to love heading in there for a couple of pints before a gig in the Ambassador or after doing some shopping in the Iilac, a real proper old school Dublin pub, gorgeous pint of Guinness.. i would have thought a few quid put into it and it could do quite well.. close proximity to the Ambassador, hospital, Moore St, bus stops and very central..

They had a reasonable music venue too upstairs I just remembered, the BoomBoom Room that was quite intimate and unique.

Always loved Conways as well. I'm also surprised nobody else ever took up the pub. Maybe there's more to it, as alluded to already in the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The stench of damp/rot coming from Conways now makes me very concerned about what little structural integrity it had left (those support beams are *old*)

Walked past it yesterday.
    Jaysus you're right about the stench
    Sand bags up against the front door and the wooden frame around it rotting away
    Awful to see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Looks like the Bernard Shaw finally closed Saturday or Sunday.

One of the fascinating things about that whole block over the last few month has been the gradual reveal of previous business names as layers of fascia are gradually removed.

They were taking the sign off the Shaw this morning, so it's currently Sonny Kines. Around the corner beside the Manhattan, what was the Bird Cage bakery last year now has the faded name Morning Wood (?!), and just down from it there's a shop which used to sell something weirdly specific which I've helpfully forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Sounds like there could be some good entries for the Ghost Signs thread there. Might have a look on my lunch break.

miamee wrote: »
    Sounds like there could be some good entries for the Ghost Signs thread there. Might have a look on my lunch break.

Oh wow, that's a great thread! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The place on the corner (latterly O'Briens) used to be Car Tailors.

Next door to that was briefly "Contraceptives Unlimited" back when that was still illegal!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

MOH wrote: »
    Looks like the Bernard Shaw finally closed Saturday or Sunday.

One of the fascinating things about that whole block over the last few month has been the gradual reveal of previous business names as layers of fascia are gradually removed.

They were taking the sign off the Shaw this morning, so it's currently Sonny Kines. Around the corner beside the Manhattan, what was the Bird Cage bakery last year now has the faded name Morning Wood (?!), and just down from it there's a shop which used to sell something weirdly specific which I've helpfully forgotten.

Heading on lunch now, so I'll buzz around for a look. Cheers.

God I miss the Manhattan (and to a lesser extent the The Gigs Place).

The regeneration of The Tap on North King Street is open now. Decent enough from half a pint in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Heading on lunch now, so I'll buzz around for a look. Cheers.

God I miss the Manhattan (and to a lesser extent the The Gigs Place).
    The Manhattan was a saviour for many a man. The Gigs was last call for the street girls, great for a laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Edgware wrote: »
    The Manhattan was a saviour for many a man. The Gigs was last call for the street girls, great for a laugh

Auntie May's...... legendary

MOH wrote: »

Sorry, bit off-topic, but it was bugging me. It was a shop that sold spanners. With half a sign remaining in the shape of a spanner: "<something> ...anners"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Wouldn't call either famous but The Long Mile Inn & Agnes Browns (Thomas St) both look to be closed in the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Agnes Browns is scaldy as feck. Decided to brave it during the summer while waiting for a friend who wors nearby, seeing as I'd never been in there before. Was a junkie looking girl going around selling rashers and sausages from a sports bag and a traveller auld fella sitting pissed at the bar with his shirt unbuttoned and big belly hanging out. Never again!

Advertisement