Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My trip to Agnes Brownes had them playing something like Clubland 2 (old enough that it was still mostly remixed trance tracks not scouse house) at top volume in between the odd bit of crap Irish. Very strange place. Nothing has lasted more than maybe 2 years there in decades. Was a men-only gay bar at one point, and then the interior ripped out to work as an offo, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I was in it in march/april, the wife (who's not irish) wanted to go to a few bars that we'd never been in before and ducked in there when passing on the street. Smelly oul fellas at the bar and a crowd of about 20 suited young travellers, either afyer a wedding, funeral or court case, absolutely stocious in the back. Place had a real 'wtf are you doing here' vibe from it, we finished the drinks in 10mins and legged it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not famous as such but The Red Parrot on Dorset St, The Fountain on Meath and The Jug on Francis St all closed...

The Quill on Aran Quay looks to be sold also... Wonder if it will open as a pub.

Not famous as such but The Red Parrot on Dorset St, The Fountain on Meath and The Jug on Francis St all closed...

The Fountain has been for sale for years and years and years; they might have actually sold it. Or given up.

Liked The Jug. Wasn't a fan of the Red Parrot, really didn't like The Fountain. All extremely subjective from one visit to each!
    The Quill on Aran Quay looks to be sold also... Wonder if it will open as a pub.

Had planning to be converted to a cafe + apartments and the licence is probably long lapsed (not been on the register since 2009) - but if Vallence & McGrath and The Dockers (soon) can return to service, who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

The Lesson lounge seems to be closed now. Was a handy place for a pint, some music, and the 46A home.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

L1011 wrote: »
    Had planning to be converted to a cafe + apartments and the licence is probably long lapsed (not been on the register since 2009) - but if Vallence & McGrath and The Dockers (soon) can return to service, who knows?

Was surprised when I heard that The Dockers was to open, I'd never heard of it before, at least I don't remember it.

It closed in the mid 1990's.

I imagine the interior has been totally changed given the major works beside it and the new office block that has been built beside it.

The Dockers will be operated by the L'Estrange Group who have The Ruin Bar on Townsend Street/Tara Street.

The Ruin (which used to be MacTurcaills and Regans before that) is to be demolished in the next month.
    It is still operating as a pub.

imme wrote: »
    Was surprised when I heard that The Dockers was to open, I'd never heard of it before, at least I don't remember it.

It closed in the mid 1990's.

I imagine the interior has been totally changed given the major works beside it and the new office block that has been built beside it.

The Dockers will be operated by the L'Estrange Group who have The Ruin Bar on Townsend Street/Tara Street.

The Ruin (which used to be MacTurcaills and Regans before that) is to be demolished in the next month.

The Dockers closed a lot later than the mid 1990s, 2004/5 I think. There's photos dated 2003 of the interior anyway.

I would not expect it to be anything like the old pub; really. Old one had become a U2 shrine almost as nothing else was bringing people down that end of the docks anymore.

The Dockers closed a lot later than the mid 1990s, 2004/5 I think. There's photos dated 2003 of the interior anyway.

I would not expect it to be anything like the old pub; really. Old one had become a U2 shrine almost as nothing else was bringing people down that end of the docks anymore.

it was about 15 years ago
    https://www.hospitalityireland.com/pub-bar-nightclub/old-u2-favourite-dockers-pub-set-reopening-christmas-79923

there's a piece recorded at the Dockers with U2 on satellite link after they won a Billboard Award talking to Phil Collins on a link up.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/u2-favourite-dublin-pub-re-opening-171048

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know whats the story at Patrick Conways on Parnell Street, its been shut a long while now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

scotchy wrote: »
    The Lesson lounge seems to be closed now. Was a handy place for a pint, some music, and the 46A home.

Bought by O'Brien's next door apparently, it'll become a small hotel.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know whats the story at Patrick Conways on Parnell Street, its been shut a long while now.

Closed in odd circumstances but its going to be part of the Hammerson redevelopment of the Carlton site (and was to be part of Johnny Ronan's old plan). Will be restored/reopened. It has remained licenced the entire time!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/o-connell-street-revamp-metro-station-new-street-restored-carlton-cinema-facade-planned-1.3879218
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »

It was nicely nuts, I doubt it'll be the same at all when redeveloped. Could merge on to O'Briens licence to sell off the separate one too in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Flynn's of d'olier/college street
    Now Doyle's on the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Closed in odd circumstances but its going to be part of the Hammerson redevelopment of the Carlton site (and was to be part of Johnny Ronan's old plan). Will be restored/reopened. It has remained licenced the entire time!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/o-connell-street-revamp-metro-station-new-street-restored-carlton-cinema-facade-planned-1.3879218

It was nicely nuts, I doubt it'll be the same at all when redeveloped. Could merge on to O'Briens licence to sell off the separate one too in that case.

The original owner died in 2007 of cancer. For decades it had been a GAA pub in the heart of D2. His daughter inherited the pub and it became more of a hipster/music pub but they still served a decent pint of Guinness. Sorry to see it go, it was my regular for most of the 1990s and early 2000s. Had some classic sessions there. I always preferred it to O'Brien's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

What, really? That's kind of a shame, though it lost lots of charm when they did it up a year or two ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Not famous as such but The Red Parrot on Dorset St

When did this happen do you know?

Any idea what's planned for here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In a similar area - is Quinn's in Drumcondra now closed or what's the story with it?

Amirani wrote: »
    When did this happen do you know?

Any idea what's planned for here?

No idea, was over in Tolka Park last week twice for the first time since October so sometime in that frame...
    Amirani wrote: »
    In a similar area - is Quinn's in Drumcondra now closed or what's the story with it?

Still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

imme wrote: »

To be added into the other massive site beside it?

Effects wrote: »

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I must look the plans. I quite like how open it is there for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

No idea, was over in Tolka Park last week twice for the first time since October so sometime in that frame...

Still open.

Quinns appears to be closed the last 2 weeks.

I must look the plans. I quite like how open it is there for the moment.

Nobody expects the current proposals to be built exactly as proposed considering they're a bit of a patchwork of multiple sites which are now all under Marlet ownership; and there's an appeal against the last revision for Apollo House anyway.

If Marlet win the Hawkins House site bidding expect a new proposal again for the entire lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

quaalude wrote: »
    What, really? That's kind of a shame, though it lost lots of charm when they did it up a year or two ago.
    They had some great blues and jazz gigs there too, that's a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,995 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Just what the city absolutely needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Just what the city absolutely needs.

Yes that’s right it does

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The pimlico tavern seems to be sporadically closed a few nights in the last 2 wks ive gone past it. The off license part still appears to be open

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

Still open.

I worked in Quinns until the end, it's closed for good it'll be torn down and replaced with student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

kearnc25 wrote: »
    I worked in Quinns until the end, it's closed for good it'll be torn down and replaced with student accommodation.

Passed it on Monday and only caught half a glimpse as was passing in taxi but looked like they’ve started knocking it already.

Kip of a place, never saw the appeal. I’d imagine the pics in the Indo a few years back must have hurt business.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see the bit that you worked there. No offence intended. Hope you’ve work sorted elsewhere

• Advertisement

yes

lash the whole thing together
    they're going up 20 storeys

nothing but glass offices

sad to see

Advertisement