Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,302 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Collie D wrote: »
    Kip of a place, never saw the appeal. I’d imagine the pics in the Indo a few years back must have hurt business.
    What was the story there?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

Passed it on Monday and only caught half a glimpse as was passing in taxi but looked like they’ve started knocking it already.

Kip of a place, never saw the appeal. I’d imagine the pics in the Indo a few years back must have hurt business.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see the bit that you worked there. No offence intended. Hope you’ve work sorted elsewhere

No worries lad it was just a college job for me it's been a kip for a while, the company that managed it for nama didn't really care and it deteriorated badly. I was in it today giving the keys back and its not been worked on yet. It'll be folded into the site next door but it's only just been officially handed over to it's new owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Esel wrote: »
    Wow, what a cesspit!

Wow, frequent that place before the big games, the crossbar in future me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ITman88 wrote: »
    Wow, frequent that place before the big games, the crossbar in future me thinks

Its closed down, you'll have to go elsewhere anyway!

With the Big Tree a Big Buildingsite and the Red Parrot also closed there won't be a lot of other options that side of Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Is Valence and MC Graths reopening. Had many a pint in it in the 80s early house.

hammerdub wrote: »
    Is Valence and MC Graths reopening. Had many a pint in it in the 80s early house.

Reopened before Christmas as The Bottle Boy. Has some bits of the old interior, apparently. Was never in the old incarnation to know!

The Dockers across the river (and further in a bit) is reopening imminently too. Neither will be like they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

L1011 wrote: »
    Its closed down, you'll have to go elsewhere anyway!

With the Big Tree a Big Buildingsite and the Red Parrot also closed there won't be a lot of other options that side of Croker.

WTF I’m a muck savage so I don’t visit Drumcondra until Summer but that’s going to narrow down the options

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Am peppering that Ryan's Parkgate Street might go soon.

Hopefully not, great spot. Just for a Southside mention lol. But I suppose it is technically NS. Not for me anyway. Not that it matters at all.

• Advertisement

ITman88 wrote: »
    WTF I’m a muck savage so I don’t visit Drumcondra until Summer but that’s going to narrow down the options

On the Drumcondra side of the Croker you have McGraths, which is not particularly large. And that's it. Red Parrot could just be temporary; there's no plans for the site anyway. Big Tree will reappear as a hotel bar on the same site for 2021 or 2022 but it won't be anywhere near as big.

There's still the usual set off the other directions though. Hideout reopened a few years ago and I presume its still going, as an extra if you've not been that side for a few years; and what was the Sunset is now The Little Tree and open.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kearnc25

L1011 wrote: »
    On the Drumcondra side of the Croker you have McGraths, which is not particularly large. And that's it. Red Parrot could just be temporary; there's no plans for the site anyway. Big Tree will reappear as a hotel bar on the same site for 2021 or 2022 but it won't be anywhere near as big.

There's still the usual set off the other directions though. Hideout reopened a few years ago and I presume its still going, as an extra if you've not been that side for a few years; and what was the Sunset is now The Little Tree and open.

Red Parrot is planning on opening for the matches, he is trying to find someone to lease it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Passed it on Monday and only caught half a glimpse as was passing in taxi but looked like they’ve started knocking it already.

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see the bit that you worked there. No offence intended. Hope you’ve work sorted elsewhere

On my way home couple of years ago, I needed the toilet, I went into Quinn’s to relieve myself, I had to go into the Jack’s for a breath of fresh air!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

hammerdub wrote: »

Jaysus that name brings me back...i remember being in there with my dad one mon morning for breakfast on my way back to college for the week...was a mad mix of dockers, lorry drivers and alcos. Thought that place was knocked, along with hales freight next to it

V&M used to do massive dinners.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Am peppering that Ryan's Parkgate Street might go soon.

Highly unlikely I would have thought.

What makes you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

retalivity wrote: »
    Jaysus that name brings me back...i remember being in there with my dad one mon morning for breakfast on my way back to college for the week...was a mad mix of dockers, lorry drivers and alcos. Thought that place was knocked, along with hales freight next to it

Used to be a drop off point on the way to gigs in the old point!
    Been reopened as the bottle boy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

kearnc25 wrote: »
    I worked in Quinns until the end, it's closed for good it'll be torn down and replaced with student accommodation.

Is that whole section being turned into accommodation?

There's no planning in for the pub section as of yet but I'd imagine that's why the works on the other part ceased

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

How about the BoyleSports that's between them, is that same owners or will that be staying?

• Advertisement

Fairly sure its part of the bit that had permission already; likely symbiotic relationship with the pub as many bookies have anyway so I'd expect it to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

imme wrote: »
    The Ruin (which used to be MacTurcaills and Regans before that) is to be demolished in the next month.
    It is still operating as a pub.

That would be very surprising, the four storey building it's the ground floor of looks less than 20 years old...

I was there last night and it was packed with little sign of shutting down any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

See the pic of the building here.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I contacted Ruin bar recently to enquire about an event but they told me they weren't taking any bookings as they will be relocating after end of Feb and are in the process of opening two new locations (no mention of where).

The Dockers is one of them apparently. It's L'Estrange moving staff rather than laying them off basically

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

septictank wrote: »
    I don't know if it's closed haven't been down that neck of the woods for a while but on or off over the years they seem to make up their own hours of opening, changed it''s name about 10 years back to the Maid of Arran, heard it got a bad name during that time, so changed back to the box.

The Clifton court, Daly's and the Horse and Tram all on Eden quay, good pubs, think it was Daly's that had Stringfellow's night club downstairs in the 80's.

The Horse and Tram turned into a stripper joint in the late 90's got into the papers as the ladies wanted better wages and went on strike.

Someone mentioned Voodoo/dice bar earlier and what it was called before, that was Boss Crokers, Huey from the FLC had a hand in it, before that I think it was called The Ellery Grant.

Outside of town Scotts in Castleknock was a great spot used to be the Castleknock inn now Brady's, Bono's brother used to run it.
    Only starting to read this thrad now in 2020 so may be mentioned later......Confession box still open and go there regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I expect this thread will have a number of additions by the time Covid-19 is over. Any pubs so far announced they won't be reopening?

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I expect this thread will have a number of additions by the time Covid-19 is over. Any pubs so far announced they won't be reopening?

Its extremely rare that a pub even announces its closing for good in normal circumstances. Going quietly in to the night is the norm.

I'd expect a significant number of pubs to either not reopen immediately and a fair few to vanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Think Library Bar in Central hotel is gone also. Heard whole hotel is a temp accommodation now.

Advertisement