Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Was in the confession box the day of the election for the Ireland-Wales match. Feels like a decade ago now.

I much preferred the 'Box before the refurb. Terrifying spot.

Briody's would be my main haunt around that part of town.

That area is where i do most of my galavanting. You could draw a line from Ormonde Quay, down Capel St, across Parnell St, on out to Ballybough, back to Amien St, up Talbot St across Marlborough St, O Connel St and Abbey St. Lets just say ive blown a kings ransom in That block of Dublin over last 20 years ha.

Was in the confession box the day of the election for the Ireland-Wales match. Feels like a decade ago now.

I much preferred the 'Box before the refurb. Terrifying spot.

Briody's would be my main haunt around that part of town.

I was in the Grand Central, and the Celt and Molloys the Monday of the Election results believe it or not. I then decided the following day to try do One Year No Beer. Good luck with that ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I was in the Grand Central, and the Celt and Molloys the Monday of the Election results believe it or not. I then decided the following day to try do One Year No Beer. Good luck with that ha.

What do you make of the Grand Central? Never liked it myself.

Also tried Briodys a few times just don't like the smell of food while you're drinking.

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    What do you make of the Grand Central? Never liked it myself.

Also tried Briodys a few times just don't like the smell of food while you're drinking.

Yea i agree. Not fond of the food in pubs myself. Grand Central handy during the day to catch up with a pal over one or two. Wudnt hang around there for long. Nice decor and not too busy during the day so plenty of room. Same with the Oval across the road on Abbey St. Might pop in there for a quick one or two to start the day off.

Briodys i hardly ever go in to. Probably in it twice in all my time.

Usually im in Talbot 74 (the old Mother Kells) Molloys, the Celt, Confession Box, Cleays Amien St, Lloyds Amien St, Judges Parnell St, Bridge and Beltons in Ballybough. Plenty of good boozers around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Yea i agree. Not fond of the food in pubs myself. Grand Central handy during the day

Have walked in and straight out of the GC a couple of times, found the smell of food overbearing on occasion - never noticed in same in Briodys but maybe was just the times I was there?

D.

• Advertisement

dazberry wrote: »
    Have walked in and straight out of the GC a couple of times, found the smell of food overbearing on occasion - never noticed in same in Briodys but maybe was just the times I was there?

D.

Theres 2 parts to the GC. One where the lounge/bar is and another part where the kitchen and chef are and tables to eat. You probably walked in that way where the bang of food would be at its worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Yea i agree. Not fond of the food in pubs myself. Grand Central handy during the day to catch up with a pal over one or two. Wudnt hang around there for long. Nice decor and not too busy during the day so plenty of room. Same with the Oval across the road on Abbey St. Might pop in there for a quick one or two to start the day off.

Briodys i hardly ever go in to. Probably in it twice in all my time.

Usually im in Talbot 74 (the old Mother Kells) Molloys, the Celt, Confession Box, Cleays Amien St, Lloyds Amien St, Judges Parnell St, Bridge and Beltons in Ballybough. Plenty of good boozers around there.

Cleary's in another gem.

I'm never in Briody's early enough to manage to get anything more than a toasty.

Like the poster above I think I've spent more time walking out of the GC than I have sitting in it.

Belton's and Judge's are called what now?

My mate just moved in across the road from the Bridge and we had planned to start localising it before the virus hit.

Jaysus lads how could i forget, possibly my fav little boozer the Sackville. Always drop in there for one. Bonnie lad when u mentioned a toastie in Briodys as thats all they do in the Sackville..and Pat from Kilkenny (used work in Brannigans Cathedral.St) is the soundest bar man around the town.

Cleary's in another gem.

I'm never in Briody's early enough to manage to get anything more than a toasty.

Like the poster above I think I've spent more time walking out of the GC than I have sitting in it.

Belton's and Judge's are called what now?

My mate just moved in across the road from the Bridge and we had planned to start localising it before the virus hit.

Beltons is Lowrys in Summerhill Parade/Ballybough. 30 sec walk from the Bridge Inn.

Judges is Reillys on Parnell St. Beside the Paddy Power. Close to the Metro Pub. Across road from Fibbers. A bit rough around the edges but always few characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Yep I used to go there for lunch time pints when I went to college in Bolton St, back in the mid 90's

And the other on at the corner. Was it the yarnhall? Is that still there?

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads how could i forget, possibly my fav little boozer the Sackville. Always drop in there for one. Bonnie lad when u mentioned a toastie in Briodys as thats all they do in the Sackville..and Pat from Kilkenny (used work in Brannigans Cathedral.St) is the soundest bar man around the town.

Sackville another one I love. I was heartbroken when it closed. It's return has been most welcome, even if I do miss the carpet and welcome the light on the landing.

Beltons is Lowrys in Summerhill Parade/Ballybough. 30 sec walk from the Bridge Inn.

Judges is Reillys on Parnell St. Beside the Paddy Power. Close to the Metro Pub. Across road from Fibbers. A bit rough around the edges but always few characters.

I know Reilly's and I know Lowry's. We're of a different demographic. :)

Sackville another one I love. I was heartbroken when it closed. It's return has been most welcome, even if I do miss the carpet and welcome the light on the landing.

The cosiest most central little pub in the city. Yea eas chuffed to see it reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Not sure if it's a daily thing or just for the Easter weekend... Few spots around Dublin are doing daily carvery afaik.

All shut today. Got my hopes up!

I know Reilly's and I know Lowry's. We're of a different demographic. :)

Ha ive had to reign in the social life a good bit. Why u tink im trying to do ne year no beer? Have to for me own good. Although this lockdown has me craving a good session.

Ha ive had to reign in the social life a good bit. Why u tink im trying to do ne year no beer? Have to for me own good. Although this lockdown has me craving a good session.

Aye, I did dry JanFebruary. worst year ever to do it!

Only got to go to my local in Inchicore a couple of times before the lockdown. Raging.

I won't be leaving it when it reopens.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And the other on at the corner. Was it the yarnhall? Is that still there?

Called BoCo now after a long time being Bodkins; though the sign on the side door still says the Yarnhall as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

The Metro is gone a few months, it's called "Me Ma's" now.

Buckfast W wrote: »

I know yea. Was in it few times since reopened. Totally different shop. Another trendy hipster joint. The old shop was dyin a slow death though. We'll have to see what shape all these pubs are when life gets back to some degree of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Jesus didn't realise Metro gone, nice spot on Parnell Street. What's left there for a nice pint?

• Advertisement

Jesus didn't realise Metro gone, nice spot on Parnell Street. What's left there for a nice pint?

Marlborough Street :P

You'll still get a nice pint in it.

The Hill 16 on Gardiner St just around the corner of Parnell St not bad spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Buckfast W wrote: »

Yeah saw that, shame . looked like the inside wasn't changed when I went past

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kimchi Hophouse (The shakespeare) has got a weird mix of inner city oul fellas, koreans, and students.

retalivity wrote: »
    Kimchi Hophouse (The shakespeare) has got a weird mix of inner city oul fellas, koreans, and students.

It's a cracker of a bar as well.

Great pint and the grub is pretty special.

Having Korean food and drinking Smithwicks is quite a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

And a loyalty scheme!
    Or they used to....not been in there in about a year or so now.

Was in there last year before a Rovers v Bohs game in Dalymount. Bout 6pm said id try some Aftershock and the Korean lad poured me 3 or 4 shots for the price of one said wasnt used much or something. Very rarely get something for nothing so i lashed it into me. Rotren stuff hadnt drank it in years and havent since then. Was havin a laugh with him. Young enough lad. Them Koreans been runnin it for donkeys years now.

The Parnell Mooney on the corner opposite the Rotunda was a good shop years ago too. Anyone remember Bensons nightclub which was downstairs in it?

All changed now. Some Cavan lad runnin it. Nice clean shop with food. Gastro pub type with a lift up to a cocktail bar on top floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

The Parnell Mooney on the corner opposite the Rotunda was a good shop years ago too. Anyone remember Bensons nightclub which was downstairs in it?

All changed now. Some Cavan lad runnin it. Nice clean shop with food. Gastro pub type with a lift up to a cocktail bar on top floor.

DJ'ed inside the cage there a few times. Cage was there for good reason :o

Advertisement