Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Dublin pubs that are no more

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Anyone remember Bensons nightclub which was downstairs in it?

I remember a weekly club called Firehouse Skank. Great Dub, reggae etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

2ndcoming wrote: »
    DJ'ed inside the cage there a few times. Cage was there for good reason :o

Brave man ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Parnell Mooney, rough spot right? Reputation anyway but that might be back in the day.

Parnell Mooney, rough spot right? Reputation anyway but that might be back in the day.

Bar wasnt too bad. Bit rough around the edges like a lot of inner city pubs but the club had its fair share of rows.

There was an early house on Moore St called Trader Johns. Ended up there at 7 in the morning after an all nighter and continued on to the Confession Box. That Moore St place gone about 10 years now.

• Advertisement

Bar wasnt too bad. Bit rough around the edges like a lot of inner city pubs but the club had its fair share of rows.

Was there 3 pubs are along that row? Parnell, conways and something else? Years since i ventured that far up.

Was there 3 pubs are along that row? Parnell, conways and something else? Years since i ventured that far up.

Yea Conways was on the corner of Moore Lane and Parnell St. Dont ever remember being open. Such a waste lying idle all this time. Dont remember another pub close by apart from that one on Moore St. Are you a Dub yourself?

Yea Conways was on the corner of Moore Lane and Parnell St. Dont ever remember being open. Such a waste lying idle all this time. Dont remember another pub close by apart from that one on Moore St. Are you a Dub yourself?

I was often in conways, nice pub and pint. Thought there was another pub up beside the parnell mooney but memory could be playing tricks. Am tipp to the bone though been in dublin more years than care to remember. Maybe I'll get the honorary dub status yet ;-)

I was often in conways, nice pub and pint. Thought there was another pub up beside the parnell mooney but memory could be playing tricks. Am tipp to the bone though been in dublin more years than care to remember. Maybe I'll get the honorary dub status yet ;-)

Maybe Conways was open all them years ago when i used be in Parnell Mooney but like yourself my mind might be playing tricks. Definately i was never in it and its been closed a long time. Good man. My Da's from Tipp so its my 2nd county ha.

Maybe Conways was open all them years ago when i used be in Parnell Mooney but like yourself my mind might be playing tricks. Definately i was never in it and its been closed a long time. Good man. My Da's from Tipp so its my 2nd county ha.

Wouldnt have a clue on dates. Remember watching tipp getting beaten by Waterford in munster championship in conways in 2002. You remember these things, right?? Dont know was i ever in it after, maybe once. Never knew it was gone until i read it here. Shame.

Another town favourite was Keatings on mary street (i think). They moved it to make way for jervis shopping but was never the same. Think I'm remembering that right anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There was an early house on Moore St called Trader Johns. Ended up there at 7 in the morning after an all nighter and continued on to the Confession Box. That Moore St place gone about 10 years now.

Where on moore st was there an early house? Dont remember that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Not you as well. Chalky is half Tipp.

---

Conway's was a gorgeous little spot. Tended to frequent it before heading to gigs in the Ambo.

It closed around 2007/2008 AFAIR.

Wouldnt have a clue on dates. Remember watching tipp getting beaten by Waterford in munster championship in conways in 2002. You remember these things, right?? Dont know was i ever in it after, maybe once. Never knew it was gone until i read it here. Shame.

Another town favourite was Keatings on mary street (i think). They moved it to make way for jervis shopping but was never the same. Think I'm remembering that right anyway!

Yea you certainly do remember where you were watching some big games.

I remember Keatings but thought it was on the corner of Jervis and Abbey St. Pub there now called TP Smyths i think. Dont ever remember being in Keatings but memory a bit hazy back in the day so could well have been in it a couple times but no more than that if i was.

Where do you drink before or after Tipp games in Croke Park now. Or do you bother these days?

retalivity wrote: »
    Where on moore st was there an early house? Dont remember that at all

If you walk on to Moore St from Henry St it was just up on the left beside the entrance to the Ilac Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I remember Keatings but thought it was on the corner of Jervis and Abbey St. Pub there now called TP Smyths i think. Dont ever remember being in Keatings but memory a bit hazy back in the day so could well have been in it a couple times but no more than that if i was.

Where do you drink before or after Tipp games in Croke Park now. Or do you bother these days?

Was where the McDonalds in Jervis is. Jervis was either nearly or fully built before it closed, its in a separate building. Owner went to the new pub that is now The Church across the road (it was a wallpaper store then a book store between it being a church and a pub)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

TP Smyths was called the Lady Gregory in the early 90s and had other names since which i can no longer remember.

Not you as well. Chalky is half Tipp.

---

Conway's was a gorgeous little spot. Tended to frequent it before heading to gigs in the Ambo.

It closed around 2007/2008 AFAIR.

Be nice to see something done with it after all these days. Another one lying idle is the Hacienda in the Fruit Market off Capel St. Think thats the name anyway. Lovely white stone exterior. Always a mysterious place that only opened up at selected times.

I think TP Smyths is where it moved when it made way for shopping centre round mid 90s. Could be wrong. Was lovely quietish pub though, just to sip a few quiet ones.

Dont bother as much as before. Hideout sometimes and maybe Palace for one. Days of hitting Sackville or Goalpost before the match and then Tommy Wrights for the stew and then onto Rody's for a gallon of porter were gone even by Babs' second coming!

L1011 wrote: »
    Was where the McDonalds in Jervis is. Jervis was either nearly or fully built before it closed, its in a separate building. Owner went to the new pub that is now The Church across the road (it was a wallpaper store then a book store between it being a church and a pub)

Thanks. Yea makes sense. Ive vague memories of Keatings being on a corner.

Dropped into the Church last year with me Ma during the day for a drink. Wasn't impressed at all. No atmosphere. No Heineken on tap. Boring shop.

Be nice to see something done with it after all these days. Another one lying idle is the Hacienda in the Fruit Market off Capel St. Think thats the name anyway. Lovely white stone exterior. Always a mysterious place that only opened up at selected times.

Hacienda closed briefly last year but reopened when they said they would and I'm fairly certain it didn't close since (until everything closed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

TP Smyths was called the Lady Gregory in the early 90s and had other names since which i can no longer remember.

Pretty sure that it was called Keatings in the early / mid 90's. Used to go in there for a few pints on a Friday after work:D

L1011 wrote: »
    Hacienda closed briefly last year but reopened when they said they would and I'm fairly certain it didn't close since (until everything closed).

Thanks. I worked nights as a cabbie for donkeys years in town and dont remember it being open that much back in the day. Few locals said the owner would let them in on weekend nights but wouldnt let people walk in off the streer who were just passin by. Never really saw anyone come or go in it.

Do you remember the Cameo Bar beside the Courts? Think its the Capel now?

Full blown DJ bangin out the tunes on a Monday mornin at 7am. Mad spot. Pool table. The brother of a well known current Mayo politician ran the shop till he got ran out of it for misbehaving.

I think TP Smyths is where it moved when it made way for shopping centre round mid 90s. Could be wrong. Was lovely quietish pub though, just to sip a few quiet ones.

Dont bother as much as before. Hideout sometimes and maybe Palace for one. Days of hitting Sackville or Goalpost before the match and then Tommy Wrights for the stew and then onto Rody's for a gallon of porter were gone even by Babs' second coming!

Jaysus the Goalpost? Tommy Wrights? Never hesrd them two. Cant beat a few on match day. Love the buzz around town on the day of a big game.

Thanks. I worked nights as a cabbie for donkeys years in town and dont remember it being open that much back in the day. Few locals said the owner would let them in on weekend nights but wouldnt let people walk in off the streer who were just passin by. Never really saw anyone come or go in it.

Do you remember the Cameo Bar beside the Courts? Think its the Capel now?

Full blown DJ bangin out the tunes on a Monday mornin at 7am. Mad spot. Pool table. The brother of a well known current Mayo politician ran the shop till he got ran out of it for misbehaving.

Shay, the owner of the Hacienda, is a very picky gentleman. He comes out to the door to let you in if he likes the look of ya on the camera.

A couple of years back he got in some staffers as the bar's popularity exploded. It has always been one of the most over-rated spots in town (like Mulligans on Poolbeg St). Never warmed to it even when I lived in Smithfield.

---

Are you thinking of O'Reilly's/Chancery as the rave spot? The Capel Inn is on Little Britain St.

You're correct.

Jaysus the Goalpost? Tommy Wrights? Never hesrd them two. Cant beat a few on match day. Love the buzz around town on the day of a big game.

Tommy Wright was a cashel man, pub there beside the harp bar, whatever monstrosity is there now. After the match they'd have a big pot of stew upstairs, help yourself and then be ready for porter.

Goalpost just off O'Connell st, next lane up from where Sackville is. Maybe gone now. Just a regular drinking spot.

Tommy Wright was a cashel man, pub there beside the harp bar, whatever monstrosity is there now. After the match they'd have a big pot of stew upstairs, help yourself and then be ready for porter.

That woudl be JW Sweetman's now. Messrs. Maguire before that.

Goalpost just off O'Connell st, next lane up from where Sackville is. Maybe gone now. Just a regular drinking spot.[/QUOTE]

I guess that's Brannigan's on Cathedral St now?

Shay, the owner of the Hacienda, is a very picky gentleman. He comes out to the door to let you in if he likes the look of ya on the camera.

A couple of years back he got in some staffers as the bar's popularity exploded. It has always been one of the most over-rated spots in town (like Mulligans on Poolbeg St). Never warmed to it even when I lived in Smithfield.

---

Are you thinking of O'Reilly's/Chancery as the rave spot? The Capel Inn is on Little Britain St.

Fair play bonnie. Yea it was Little Britain St on.the corner across from the Court. The lads workin in the Fruit Markets used see a load of fruitcakes headin in there in the early hours. Including meself a few times.

The Capel has become an extremely up-market cocktail bar called 1661. The old clientele aren't being let in; nor is it an early house anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Goalpost just off O'Connell st, next lane up from where Sackville is. Maybe gone now. Just a regular drinking spot.

Dead on with the Goalpost, favourite watering hole of staff working in the GPO.

Advertisement