Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig advice

• 15-07-2014 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Myself and my partner are looking for a pair of guinea pigs, most likely male.

From reading around it appears to make no huge difference whether you go for a male pair or a female pair. I've gathered that males can be more likely to fight but can also be more lively.

We have bought a large indoor cage, 120 x 60 so they should have plenty of space, as I'd imagine a pair of males would like room.

As regards buying the pair, what is the best way to buy them? In a store like Petmania/Maxi-Zoo, through rehoming such as DSPCA or privately through ads.

Any advice welcome! :)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Have you considered adopting?

https://www.sites.google.com/site/lasthopeanimalcharity2/home They have an event soon.

We got a rabbit here. Already toilet trained and friendly. You get piece of mind that they have all been vet checked and looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Hi there.

Your cage is just big enough for two pigs, but definitely no more!

Guinea pigs are great little pets. I've been keeping them for the last six years and really can't imagine being without them at this stage. Personally I find males more outgoing and friendly than females, but each pig is unique with its own personality so there are no guarantees.

Two males who are already bonded will normally live together without any problems. Sometimes when they hit their "teens" (around 6-8 months old) they can fall out, but generally they're okay.

If you get two pigs who don't already live together you'll have to introduce them properly and watch them for a while to make sure they get along. Getting females is no guarantee of piggy-harmony as some pigs just don't click no matter what you do. So the easiest for yourself is if you get a pair that are already friends.

As for where you get them, I would always advocate adopting from a rescue if you can. This can take a fair bit of searching, though, as there aren't a tonne of small animal rescues (depending on your area) and those that have websites often aren't up to date.

No matter where you get them from, please double check the gender of the pigs yourself. It's really not that tricky in guinea pigs but somehow people manage to get it wrong.

Otherwise, just ensure they have fresh hay and water 24/7, give them a good quality guinea pig pellet (e.g. Burgess Excel Nuggets) rather than the muesli-type foods, and a good variety of fresh veg every day.

Good luck! You'll love them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have piggies too. The problem with rescuing them is that it would be very difficult to bond older male piggies together. They need to be together from very young.

There is an Irish Guinea Pig & Rabbit FB group where sometimes they come up for rescue or alternatively reputable breeders might have stock for sale.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I have 2 males, quite young.. got them both together, one long haired and one short haired so they're definitely not siblings.. but they get on great.. one actually appears to be very protective over the other.

They make great pets :) and they're so intelligent.

I get great craic watching my 2 in the mornings.. they're still very nervous so I tend to just leave their food on the platform over their cave and I watch them through the keyhole... yes I know!!! If anyone saw me they'd have me committed :D

One goes up onto the platform and passes the carrots and lettuce down the steps to the other one, who lugs it all into their cave.. and in they both go, happy as larry.

They are getting a little bit more brave each day.. you have to be very patient with them.. they're so so shy at first.

Advertisement