Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House with a baby

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hi I am currently moving house with my 16mth old. We are pretty much moved in myself, my husband and baby Sean, we sold our house and moved back in with my mam & dad.

I didn't think the move would have much affect on Sean. Last night was his first night sleeping in his cot in his new room, everything from his old room was there. And he's slept in this room plenty of times in his travel cot.
    So bedtime routine was as is at home, has bottle on bed, while he is changed and dressed for bed, we have never had any issue with him going down at night we usually pop him into cot with 2-3 oz remaining in bottle and we leave the room, last night as soon i stood up to put him in the cot he screamed the house down and threw bottle away, he was hysterical, i left him in my arms and tried to soothe him, he was still crying but a little more relaxed, after about 10/15mins of walking the floors i put him back down and left the room, well he was so hysterical he started to puke, i was waiting outside, so of course i ran in and took him up, i had to change him, plus he was sweating and all clammy. it was so upsetting to see him like this. After another 15/20 mins he settled and i put him back in the cot and left the room straight away, i sat outside and he cried for no more than 1 min then stopped, a few mins later i went down stairs, 15 mins later i went back up to check on him and there he was sitting in his cot playing with his teddy's not a bother, he eventually fell asleep.

i had to head back to our house to finish packing everything up. I felt so awful leaving as i was worried he would wake during the night and i wouldn't be there.... and yes i was right, he woke at 2ish sobbing and my mam said he eventually fell asleep an hr later with her. I went back to her house this morning at 6.30 so i would be there for when he woke. He woke about 6.45 and was delighted to see me. Unfortunately i had to leave for work at 7 but he was completely fine when i was leaving. My mam minds him most days so he's well used to her and the house so leaving for work is never an issue, he waves me off and blows me kisses.

Apologies for the really long post but i'm wondering if any one has any ideas on what i could do to make bed time a little easier and a little less traumatic than last night.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We moved house three times in the first three years of my daughters life. It's tough going for sure.

All I can say, is that they adjust very fast, maybe three or four nights and then it will be right as rain. You're doing exactly what I did, keep the routine as much as possible and things will settle down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

It probably has very little to do with the room, and more to do with all the action that has been going on and sensing your stress (moving house is the most stressful thing ever).

We moved with a six month old. It was tough to get everything done, as I wasn't available to help to the extent I normally would have. The baby was unsettled for a few days but relaxed into normality again.

I think babies are like that, always changing and keeping us on our toes. I wouldn't worry overly. He'll get back to himself in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We're hopefully moving in a couple of months with my now 20mo. And what I'm dreading is that our current rental house is directly across the road from my parents' house. S is going to see his old home every time we visit them, which is often. So I think it's going to confuse him for a while to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

Thanks for the replies,

Moving house is definitely the most stressful thing I've ever done, especially since we are moving from a 3 bed semi d with loads of space to a smaller 2 bed parlor house, space is very limited with 4 adults and 1 infant. It ain't easy but we keep telling ourselves it will be worth it in the end. We want to buy our own house by this time next year, close enough to where my mam lives. We loved the house we just sold and got on well with our neighbours but the location did not suit we were North West Dublin and we both work South Co. Dublin, bar the mortgage our next biggest outgoing was tolls and petrol. Plus both sets of parents mind Sean so we would have to drop him off on our way to work. If they came out to us they would have to get 2 buses which would be the guts of 1.5-2 hr journey each way.

Anyway an update on last night............ after work myself and husband brought Sean to the park, so he had a good run around for 30-40 mins, got home had some tea, he had a shower which he loves got him changed and into his vest and we sat and played in his new room with his jigsaws and had tickley time and cuddles, when it was time for his bottle i turned the light off and he started crying even tho i was there so i think the prob was he didn't like how dark the room was, which is strange because his room in the old house would be pitch black, anyway i brought up a lamp and put it on dim while he was having bottle, transferred him into the cot and left the room........ no tears or giving out at all, and even though there was lots going on downstairs and outside, (a new shed was been put together) he was asleep by 7.45pm and slept straight trough to 6.30am. Fingers crossed now it stays like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

iguana wrote: »
    We're hopefully moving in a couple of months with my now 20mo. And what I'm dreading is that our current rental house is directly across the road from my parents' house. S is going to see his old home every time we visit them, which is often. So I think it's going to confuse him for a while to come.

Ah iguana, that will be tough for all you, hopefully S will love his new house and room and wont be too bothered about the old house.

Parenting the most worrying, terrifying, stressful job ever yet the most rewarding and i wouldn't change it for anything :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement