Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hands are getting destroyed by deadlifts

Options
  • 15-07-2014 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Anyone any tips? other than wearing gloves
    i do have a better grip without them, I use liquid chalk, but the amount of callouses I am getting is ridiculous!

is there a way to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Without avoiding deadlifts, probably not.

Get a pumice stone and file 'em down.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wood

Pumice, sandpaper or scalpel is the only way.

Learning to live with it is the only way. Lift heavy weights and it happens.

Besides having the hands of a Norwegian fisherman is sexy right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

[QUOTE=Wood;91286016

Besides having the hands of a Norwegian fisherman is sexy right?[/QUOTE]

women loves it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Thems called man hands, wear them with pride!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I found liquid chalk particularly tough on the hands. probably because of the alcohol. Just a chalk bag or bar seems to be more forgiving on the hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭ninamc

That's all well and good when you're a man. I tell people mine are from pole-dancing just to sex it up a bit :(

aaakev wrote: »
    Thems called man hands, wear them with pride!

conzy wrote: »
    I found liquid chalk particularly tough on the hands. probably because of the alcohol.

I've found not drinking during deadlifts makes it less tough.

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

Alcohol and chalk will dry out the hands completely. Unfortunately moisturisation and trimming are the only things that seem to keep mine from ripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

thanks

It is just got to a stage where it is quite difficult to keep a grip at all, have had to lower the weight when I do romanian deadlifts
    can still just complete normal deadlifts because of the two second respite at the bottom

will just moisturise them more i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I keep a small travel bottle of hand moisturiser in my bag to make sure that they're being kept moisturised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You might try changing your grip. Are you using one over and one under.

You might try changing your grip. Are you using one over and one under.

using two over for now
    might change that for the Romanian deadlift but keep it for the normal lift
    doing 120kgs for sets as a part of a superset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Manly hand care :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

1 Grip the bar properly
    2 cut down any big callouses after deadlifts
    3 ?????
    4 profit

cant post links, look up "managing calluses" by Rippetoe on youtube. It explains why you get them and how to avoid calluses.

1 Grip the bar properly
    2 cut down any big callouses after deadlifts
    3 ?????
    4 profit

cant post links, look up "managing calluses" by Rippetoe on youtube. It explains why you get them and how to avoid calluses.

I have read that one hand over and one under grip in a way is a bit of a cheat rep

i am new to deadlifting, can anyone advise about this

guile4582 wrote: »
    I have read that one hand over and one under grip in a way is a bit of a cheat rep

Mixed grip isn't cheating. It's just a grip you use when the grip becomes a limiting factor on the deadlift. Keep using the double overhand until that point though.

Mixed grip just stops the bar rolling out of your hand like it might do when your grip weakens with double overhand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

What Alf said. Deadlifts is generally a back and hammy movement. You don;t want you're limiting factor to be your grip.

thanks.

i found as i moved up the weight the grip was tough at the start maybe usually getting 8/10 reps done, but as I persevere i would get the 10 for a few weeks and then increase the weight.

downside I know is risk of injury due to form. I will employ the mixed grip when struggling

cannot believe the gains i am getting with deadlifting..why didn't i cop on 4 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

thanks.

i found as i moved up the weight the grip was tough at the start maybe usually getting 8/10 reps done, but as I persevere i would get the 10 for a few weeks and then increase the weight.

downside I know is risk of injury due to form. I will employ the mixed grip when struggling

cannot believe the gains i am getting with deadlifting..why didn't i cop on 4 years ago!

Oh don't worry, those gains will slow down, enjoy them while you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Most people don't do deadlifts for high reps. If you are, I'd recommend using lifting straps.

People often go mad at the suggestion of lifting straps. The way I see it, if your back and legs are getting short-changed because your grip is letting you down, just use straps and then train your grip seperately after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 F7Z

Lord above grow a pair. This is the equivalent of a complete novice getting some DOMS and making a thread saying "my muscles are getting destroyed by weightlifting!" If you wanted smooth hands you should be pumping plastic moisturiser lids not pumping iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

F7Z wrote: »
    Lord above grow a pair. This is the equivalent of a complete novice getting some DOMS and making a thread saying "my muscles are getting destroyed by weightlifting!" If you wanted smooth hands you should be pumping plastic moisturiser lids not pumping iron

Like Rippetoe said.
    If you wear gloves weightlifting ,make sure your gloves match your purse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Mixed grip isn't cheating. It's just a grip you use when the grip becomes a limiting factor on the deadlift. Keep using the double overhand until that point though.

Mixed grip just stops the bar rolling out of your hand like it might do when your grip weakens with double overhand.

I use the mixed grip and I'm at a lower weight level, should I use the double overhand until it starts getting very heavy? I was told the mixed grip is to keep the centre of gravity the same all the way up, helps with posture etc

.ak wrote: »
    I use the mixed grip and I'm at a lower weight level, should I use the double overhand until it starts getting very heavy? I was told the mixed grip is to keep the centre of gravity the same all the way up, helps with posture etc

I've seen some people say they find the mixed grip helps them keep the bar from straying out beyond the centre of mass and making tyhe DL more difficult for themselves but I don't know if that's a universal thing.

The mixed grip, afaik, is just to stop your grip limiting your deadlift. working with a DO grip up until it becomes the limiting factor will help with grip strength as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

The mixed grip is purely to stop the bar rolling out of your hands, nothing more, nothing less. This thread is the first ive ever heard of anyone saying it had anything to do with center of gravity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

All that does is give you calluses on your fingers instead. You can even see the white lines on his fingers in the vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Cill94 wrote: »
    All that does is give you calluses on your fingers instead. You can even see the white lines on his fingers in the vid.

What it does is give you a better grip. It's got nothing to do with calluses. I still don't see the problem with them unless someone's a hand model

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

What it does is give you a better grip. It's got nothing to do with calluses. I still don't see the problem with them unless someone's a hand model

The whole point of this thread is how to avoid calluses. Rippetoe's grip won't do that and I'd say whether it's a stronger grip or not is highly individualised. I find that grip a lot weaker.

And yes avoiding calluses sound pretty wimpy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Cill94 wrote: »
    The whole point of this thread is how to avoid calluses. Rippetoe's grip won't do that and I'd say whether it's a stronger grip or not is highly individualised. I find that grip a lot weaker.

And yes avoiding calluses sound pretty wimpy.

I missed the bit 1st time around where he specifically mentioned the formation of calluses, only got that just there on the 2nd play, shows how much attention I was paying!
    I never realised people's grips varied, my gyms full of strap merchants even the big guys doing moderate rows

Advertisement