Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from UK back to Ireland - banking question

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm an Irish citizen, been in UK for 5 years, moving home permanently next month. In Ireland I'm going to be working in a freelance capacity for UK companies.

I wonder if anybody has any experience of moving home from the UK and retaining their UK current account -- without switching the account to a friend's address in the UK?

Any experience or advice very welcome.

Thank you
    Matthew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I moved back from NI two years ago, and because it was a BOI account, had no problem switching the address to my Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MatthewPB

Thanks Dobsdave -- I should have made clear I'm moving from England, my bank doesn't have branches in Ireland. Also, I would like to keep my UK account alive so that I can get paid into it from UK companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

You can open a sterling account with your Irish address also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Shouldn't be an issue. I had my UK bank send all my correspondence etc to my Irish addresses before.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

Yeah mostly companies are fine with an Irish address. Kept my Barclays account and just changed address.

A few companies don't allow you to change address online as defaulted to UK or demand a post code but phone call normally sorts them out too.

And then a smaller few companies (Orange and DVLA from memory) demand a UK address and won't budge.

The post office redirect is good to set up to make sure you don't miss anything for up to a year. Though it is expensive and you do need a lot of identification and proof of address to set it up. And they won't let you correct your address afterwards even to fix a small typo. But even with all that is use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

I kept (and still have) my Co-operative Bank account 9 years after moving back home. There was no hassle changing my address to an Irish one (despite their T&Cs stating you have to be ordinarily resident in the UK to maintain an account). My chequebooks and visa cards come out no hassle and on time.

Advertisement