Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rottweiler puppy whats best food for him

• 15-07-2014 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi all,

i have a 12 week old male rottie, he is a little under weight from what i can tell but im not worried about it as he is eating fine for me since i got him last week. i am just wondering what would be the best food to be giving him at the minute? i have been doing some research and a couple of people have reccommended GAINS(high protein nuts) food mixed with some tripe and calcium powder until he gets big enough and then eventually just the nuts.

if any one has some other suggestions either or if you have experience with rotties would you reccommend the GAINS and tripe mix.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's a few rottie experts here so they'll be able to give you advise but don't mix calcium into his food whatever you do. You have a large breed pup that you want to grow slowly to avoid joint/bone problems. Adding calcium could affect his bones/joints/thyroid.

What the breeder have him on/advise you to feed him btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Is his worming regime up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 robertmck89

he is currently just on a dry nut mix that that came with him. just the fact he is a little under weight in i wanted to look into all avenues as regards to best food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Just to add it's normal for pups to look fine one day and like a skeleton the next as they grow. You'll be gradually increasing his food until his growth slows then then adjusting it to maintain weight. I fed my retriever pup a mixture of raw and good quality wet food (Rocco and NatureDiet).

Toulouse wrote: »
    Is his worming regime up to date?

yes he has been fully wormed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

he is currently just on a dry nut mix that that came with him. just the fact he is a little under weight in i wanted to look into all avenues as regards to best food.

which dry nut is he on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def do not add calcium to his food as you can end up with growth issues and problems from growing too fast.

What kind of budget have you got for food? If your pups is underweight then little and often with his meals to try and gain weight steadily.

andreac wrote: »
    Def do not add calcium to his food as you can end up with growth issues and problems from growing too fast.

What kind of budget have you got for food? If your pups is underweight then little and often with his meals to try and gain weight steadily.

thanks for that ill knock the calcium on the head so. why would some one recommend calcium if it causes so much issues in the future?.

well i priced GAINS nuts at 25 euro per 15 kg bag so id be willing spend at least that any way maybe more. id rather buy whats better for my alfie in the long run.

If you want to go with Gain, then go for the Elite range in the Gain. Its a little bit dearer but much better quality than the other Gain ones.

Heres a link to one of the sites that sell it.

http://www.dogfooddirect.ie/modules/shop/cats/gain/

Which food did the breeder send with him? A pup of that age should not be underweight, if anything they should be on the chubby side and as they grow they will even out.
    Any pics of your baby?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

well i priced GAINS nuts at 25 euro per 15 kg bag so id be willing spend at least that any way maybe more. id rather buy whats better for my alfie in the long run.
    I'd recommend you start thinking twice that price on a per bag basis (higher quality = less served so the actual cost would not be twice as high but the higher quality brands will normally cost you in the 40+ per 15kg range and top of the line will usually be beyond 50)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I've recently switched my two over onto the gain elite as the ingredients and quality improved, it's €21.99 for the 8kg I get which lasts them a little over a month, and it is €39.99 for the 15kg puppy (I think, not too sure) but all are on special offer in petmania at the moment :)

It's a good food, my dogs coats have improved a lot since being switched over.

Which food did the breeder send with him? A pup of that age should not be underweight, if anything they should be on the chubby side and as they grow they will even out.
    Any pics of your baby?

i think it was a mix that he prepares himself. didnt have a name or brand. im on the work PC at the minute so ill get a photo of him later.

i think it was a mix that he prepares himself. didnt have a name or brand. im on the work PC at the minute so ill get a photo of him later.

Hmm doesnt sound good at all and even more so if the poor pup is underweight :(
    When did you get the pup?

Hmm doesnt sound good at all and even more so if the poor pup is underweight :(
    When did you get the pup?[/QUOT

yes thats why i was wondering about which food to put him on.
    i got him last week.

Advertisement