Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing a Pre-pay electricity meter

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Just about to move into a house and get utility bills etc... transferred into my name. Noticed a pre-payment electricity meter has been installed. I want to get rid of this asap - anyone know what the best way to get it removed is - if I move to a new electricity supplier will they remove it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It'll cost money to remove. Ask your landlord to do it before transferring any bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

It'll cost money to remove. Ask your landlord to do it before transferring any bills.

Thanks but I have bought the house and am wondering who I can get to remove it.

You need to talk to ESB networks. They deal with the meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Thanks but I have bought the house and am wondering who I can get to remove it.

Why not ask the company who put it there how it can be removed. Surely they are best placed to give you an answer.

GavMan wrote: »
    Why not ask the company who put it there how it can be removed. Surely they are best placed to give you an answer.

Have no idea who or what company installed it. It was already there when I bought the house.

• Advertisement

You need to talk to ESB networks. They deal with the meters.

Do they just deal with the outside meters (Which they read) or do they also deal with internal prepay meters - not sure they'd be too interested as it's not their meter?

Do they just deal with the outside meters (Which they read) or do they also deal with internal prepay meters - not sure they'd be too interested as it's not their meter?

It is their meter. The suppliers don't deal with meters, including prepay one, they belong to ESB Networks.

It is their meter. The suppliers don't deal with meters, including prepay one, they belong to ESB Networks.

Ok thanks Mickey D - will get onto them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At least one of the prepay suppliers "meter" is a post-meter-board attachment and the ESB Networks non-prepay meter remains intact and read as normal. As a result ESB Networks won't have a clue.

MYOB wrote: »
    At least one of the prepay suppliers "meter" is a post-meter-board attachment and the ESB Networks non-prepay meter remains intact and read as normal. As a result ESB Networks won't have a clue.

Thanks MYOB - guess I'll have a look and see if the ESB Networks non-prepay meter still outside (nearly 100% sure it is). Guess I'll have to find what prepay supplier installed the prepay meter and get onto them to remove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

They will give you a bypass code if you switch supplier and/or get rid of the prepay. There is no harm in leaving it there in bypassed mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Pre pay power's site say the following:
    7.4 If you want to terminate this Contract (except in circumstances covered by clause 7.5), you must
    first register with a new supplier for the supply of electricity to the Premises.
    7.5 If you want to terminate this Contract and to terminate the supply of electricity to the Premises,
    provided that you have paid all of our Charges, you will only be obliged to discharge Pass
    Through Charges until such time as they are paid in full and your Connection Agreement with
    the Electricity Distributor has been lawfully terminated.
    7.6 If you want to terminate this Contract, but not terminate the supply of electricity to the
    Premises, you must obtain a 60-digit code from us to put the Budget Controller into credit
    mode, and grant us safe access to the Premises to enable us to remove the PPP Equipment.
    SCHEDULE OF CHARGES
    Schedule of Charges
    Meter Replacement charge €135
    Keypad Replacement charge €50
    Customer Card Replacement Charge €10
    Call out fee €50
    Out of hours - weekday €90
    Out of hours -- weekend €130
    Early Termination of contract = Meter removal fee + number of months remaining on the
    contract x €10
    Meter removal Fee €50
    Number of months remaining on the contract x €10
    Paper Statement Fee €5

Looks like its only €50 to get it removed, if you dont want it in credit mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Pre pay power's site say the following:
    contract
    As far as I can see, the OP has no contract with them?

Advertisement