Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym dilemma!

Options
  • 15-07-2014 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I've recently joined a gym in an effort to get in shape for the summer holidays.
    Weighing in at a whopping 95kg and being 1.75meters tall i think you can pretty
    guess my situation. My goal is to lose a lot of weight and build muscle fast, so
    originally I've decided to attempt both goals simultaneous. So I lowered my calorie
    intake together with doing muscle building exercises in gym. It's been 3 weeks now,
    I've been going to gym 6 times a week and stuck with my diet as best I could but this approach has been futile. I haven't achieved any results, My weight remained the exact
    same and I don't seem to be gaining any muscle. So I've looked up a lot of youtube
    videos about it being possible to gain muscle mass and lose fat simultaneously but
    most of those videos seem unreliable at best as some say it's possible while others
    state that it's not possible. So I don't know whether to 1.continue on with my current
    routine and hope for results. 2. Hit the treadmill and solely focus on losing fat, get
    my body fat as low as 14% which might take months if not years. 3. Try to gain
    muscle by doing muscle building exercises together with ingesting a lot of calories
    even though I'm borderline obese. If anyone has ever been in my situation and found
    a quick solution to get a fit and toned muscular body, please help me out.

what should I do? 13 votes

Continue with my current regime? and hope for results sometime in the future.
    0%
    Focus solely on losing fat? even though it's tedious, unenjoyable and takes a long time
    46%
    MellorfissionSQLDBAChancer3001Ned01Sandypants 6 votes
    Focus on building muscle? which would mean i have to ingest a lot of calories
    53%
    srdb20johnnysmackcolman1212ooPabsoopeterobrien100Andy_Dublinguile4582 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

3 weeks is nothing in the long term. Stop focusing on short term results. And why is cardio only associated with losing weight and lifting only associated with gaining weight?

To lose weight focus on your diet. Cut out the junk and all the processed crap. Find a decent weight lifting program online like stronglifts or something like that and keep lifting heavy. You can make a lot of progress with this as a beginner. It will also help preserve any muscle you have while losing weight and initially will build some muscle and a large increase in strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,592 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What is your diet like? If you post up a typical day's food people can advise.

Are you tracking what you eat to see what you're getting, calories-wise? Do you know what you should be taking?

What is your workout like? Whgat do you do on the 6 days you're at the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Agree with what other have posted. Keep a food diary for a week. Weight everything, exact numbers are important here. Activity level what is your gym routine like. Are you boozing at the week end, what about snacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Focus on one goal.

If you want to lose fat then you have to eat in a caloric deficit i.e less food in then what you 'need'. Get to a point where you're happy to build from and then eat in a surplus with some hypertrophy training for optimal gaiiiinz.

There are no 'fat loss exercises', they all can be varying tempo/reps/sets etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

You're not going to get a quick solution - given that you're doing this in order to get in shape for the summer holidays, you simply don't have a timeframe that allows large-scale weight loss and muscle gain. For the long-term (next summer, and the summers after that)...

I was in a similar boat to you - actually, I was in a bigger one. By April of last year I was nudging towards 115kg, and I'm 175cm tall as well. I'd been playing rugby for three years, but being a prop isn't exactly a spur to weight loss. Last April I decided to sign up for Gaelforce West in order to force myself to stay fit during the off-season, and then when the rugby season came back I realised I was enjoying running and cycling more than I enjoyed rugby, so at the end of this season I switched sports and joined a triathlon club. At this point I'm at 94kg, which is more or less where you are now, but I've gone down to a 35-inch waist, my diet isn't nearly as restrictive as I thought it would have to be for weight loss, and I'm still dropping weight. I don't have a gym membership - I used to have one, but I found the gym unbelievably boring and dreary. All the exercise I do is outdoors, and I enjoy almost all of it - and if you're routinely burning through four thousand calories a week in exercise, you can eat as much as you usually do and still see results long-term.

Other people will argue in favour of lifting and pursuing gainz, and if you enjoy that then you should keep doing it. But there's more than one way to skin a cat, and if you want to get down to a low body fat percentage then cardio should be considered as a serious option. It's also a self-reinforcing mechanism: the lighter you are, the faster you can go uphill, and the better you do at your cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 wolf of oconnell street

What is your diet like? If you post up a typical day's food people can advise.

Are you tracking what you eat to see what you're getting, calories-wise? Do you know what you should be taking?

What is your workout like? Whgat do you do on the 6 days you're at the gym?

My diet as of the last 3 weeks has been an apple/banana with weetabix for breakfast, sandwich (typically tuna) for lunch, whey protein before and after workouts (as instructed) and typically rice with chicken for dinner, I've been drinking water and homemade fruit smoothies. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I lose will power and snack on chocolate/crisps but it really hasn't happened all that often, maybe 4-5 times since i started dieting 3 weeks ago.

For my weekly schedule, I sectioned out my body into three compartments, upper body (shoulder,chest,biceps,triceps,deltoids) abdomen (abs, oblique muscles) and legs (thighs, calves and glutes). 1st day of the week i do upper body, 2nd day abdomen, 3rd day legs, 4th day just cardio for 45minutes, 5th day i take a break and the cycle starts again on the 6th day.

And for the actual work out, I start with 5-10 minutes of cardio as a warm up. I mainly use machine exercises, typically 3 different machines depending on what compartment I'm working out. So for example on upper body day, I use the butterfly machine (4sets/12reps), Leverage Shoulder Press machine (4sets/12reps), and the Leverage Iso Row machine (4sets/12reps). I repeat the routine once more with another 5-10 minutes of treadmill.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    3 weeks is nothing in the long term. Stop focusing on short term results. And why is cardio only associated with losing weight and lifting only associated with gaining weight?

To lose weight focus on your diet. Cut out the junk and all the processed crap. Find a decent weight lifting program online like stronglifts or something like that and keep lifting heavy. You can make a lot of progress with this as a beginner. It will also help preserve any muscle you have while losing weight and initially will build some muscle and a large increase in strength.

I'm not being put of by the fact that it's been 3 weeks without progress. I'm put off by the fact that the majority of people will say that it's impossible (unless you're genetically gifted) to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneous.

But thank you for mentioning stronglifts, I looked up their website and they have some programs that are worth a try.

My diet as of the last 3 weeks has been an apple/banana with weetabix for breakfast, sandwich (typically tuna) for lunch, whey protein before and after workouts (as instructed) and typically rice with chicken for dinner, I've been drinking water and homemade fruit smoothies. I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I lose will power and snack on chocolate/crisps but it really hasn't happened all that often, maybe 4-5 times since i started dieting 3 weeks ago.

For my weekly schedule, I sectioned out my body into three compartments, upper body (shoulder,chest,biceps,triceps,deltoids) abdomen (abs, oblique muscles) and legs (thighs, calves and glutes). 1st day of the week i do upper body, 2nd day abdomen, 3rd day legs, 4th day just cardio for 45minutes, 5th day i take a break and the cycle starts again on the 6th day.

And for the actual work out, I start with 5-10 minutes of cardio as a warm up. I mainly use machine exercises, typically 3 different machines depending on what compartment I'm working out. So for example on upper body day, I use the butterfly machine (4sets/12reps), Leverage Shoulder Press machine (4sets/12reps), and the Leverage Iso Row machine (4sets/12reps). I repeat the routine once more with another 5-10 minutes of treadmill.

Record your food intake on MyFitnessPal and include everything. Waht you drink, the snacks...everything. You won't have to do it long term but it will give you a better idea of just what's in your food in terms of calories and then the breakdown of fat/carb/protein.

That will also show whether you need those protein shakes.

Secondly, a whole abdomen workout?

Who gave you the programme to follow? If it was a trainer, maybe go back and ask them to show some compound exercises as well. And involve some free weights. Machines have their place but if it's all just machines, you won't be getting the best bang for your buck from the workouts.

If it was yourself, maybe ask a trainer in the gym for a programme.

I'm put off by the fact that the majority of people will say that it's impossible (unless you're genetically gifted) to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneous.

Blacktie was referring to the association between cardio and weight loss and weight training and weight gain.

Weight training will help you lose weight and in many cases it will be far better than running on a treadmill at the same pace for x minutes y times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Studies show that people consistently under-estimate their calorie intake. If you haven't lost weight after three weeks then you're still eating too much. As suggested, you really need some way, like MyFitnessPal to track everything, because time and again people lose track of what they've eaten and usually think it is a lot less than they have.

If you have a decent calorie deficit you can lose all the excess fat, and you'll probably gain some muscle at the same time, but no one is going to go to great muscles on a calorie deficit - you can work on that after you get your body fat down.

tl;dr you're still eating too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No more fruit smoothies, no more chocolate/crisps.

Keep lifting weights. Cardio is optional, if you're gonna go to the gym 6 times do 3 weights sessions and 3 cardio sessions.

It's 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Record your food intake on MyFitnessPal and include everything. Waht you drink, the snacks...everything. You won't have to do it long term but it will give you a better idea of just what's in your food in terms of calories and then the breakdown of fat/carb/protein.

That will also show whether you need those protein shakes.

I've looked into that myfitnesspal program and it seems like a great way to track my calorie intake so thank you!

And in terms of my work out, I'm gonna start following the 5x5 12 week program as it just looks simple and effective.

Also I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this thread, you guys have really set me on the right path to lose weight.
    I will let you guys now about my progress if you're still interested!

I've looked into that myfitnesspal program and it seems like a great way to track my calorie intake so thank you!

And in terms of my work out, I'm gonna start following the 5x5 12 week program as it just looks simple and effective.

Also I wanna thank everyone who contributed to this thread, you guys have really set me on the right path to lose weight.
    I will let you guys now about my progress if you're still interested!

You might want to get a small digital scales just so you know what weight ia in different portions. Again, it's only a short term thing until you can tell by eye what is in a portion. You'll get one cheap enough in Tesco or Dunnes.

Best of luck with it.

You might want to get a small digital scales just so you know what weight ia in different portions. Again, it's only a short term thing until you can tell by eye what is in a portion. You'll get one cheap enough in Tesco or Dunnes.

Best of luck with it.

I was thinkng of getting a heart rate monitor to keep track of the calories I burn during my work out, purely to get the best out of myfitnesspal. Or do you think that would be a bit over the top?

I was thinkng of getting a heart rate monitor to keep track of the calories I burn during my work out, purely to get the best out of myfitnesspal. Or do you think that would be a bit over the top?

You can if you want. It's difficult to quantify so you'll probably want to knock a percentage off so you don't overestimate how much credit it gives you.

That said, there are other people better at tracking all of this than me who will be able to give better advice on accounting for exercise calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I ignore exercise calories ... I would probably try eat 100-200 extra on work out days but I'm more into making sure protein intake is high and overall cal intake is just below maintenance, exclusive of exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just to jump in instead of starting a new thread. Is it possible to put on weight while working out. I joined the gym three weeks ago. The first week i went 5 days doing a 30 minute swim each day. The last two weeks i have gone 5 days with most days doing 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes free weights and 30 minutes swimming. I weigh myself the same time every friday and i have gained three pounds since i joined the gym. Before i joined the gym i maintained my weight without much exercise.

My diet has been poorer than usual the last few weeks. I have had a few parties the last few weeks which consisted of drink which leads to a snackbox or pizza on the weekends and crisps. My diet Monday to Friday i think is quite good but the weekends it becomes poor.

My girlfriend has been saying how my arms looks more muscly from the swimming and weights but i thought you lose weight while doing these. So i am wondering is it possible the 3 pounds i put on could be muscle or could it be weight from eating poorly enough. I have nothing on for the next few weeks so hoping to cut back to a few drinks on Saturdays and to cut back on fast food.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just to jump in instead of starting a new thread. Is it possible to put on weight while working out.

My diet has been poorer than usual the last few weeks.

Yes

Can't outtrain a bad diet
    A few swims isn't going to magic away a load of pizzas

Still, it could be muscle depending on how your clothes feel etc. You don't have to lose weight while putting on muscle, I'd expect the opposite either way but only you would know

Just to jump in instead of starting a new thread. Is it possible to put on weight while working out. I joined the gym three weeks ago. The first week i went 5 days doing a 30 minute swim each day. The last two weeks i have gone 5 days with most days doing 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes free weights and 30 minutes swimming. I weigh myself the same time every friday and i have gained three pounds since i joined the gym. Before i joined the gym i maintained my weight without much exercise.

My diet has been poorer than usual the last few weeks. I have had a few parties the last few weeks which consisted of drink which leads to a snackbox or pizza on the weekends and crisps. My diet Monday to Friday i think is quite good but the weekends it becomes poor.

My girlfriend has been saying how my arms looks more muscly from the swimming and weights but i thought you lose weight while doing these. So i am wondering is it possible the 3 pounds i put on could be muscle or could it be weight from eating poorly enough. I have nothing on for the next few weeks so hoping to cut back to a few drinks on Saturdays and to cut back on fast food.

The bit in bold is the main reason you've put on weight.

There's probably a bit of added muscle as well but if you're eating badly, you'll put on weight more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

More muscle = more weight. The good kind of weight tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

You can't out-train a bad diet. So if you're not watching what you eat you can very easily put on weight (the bad kind) while regularly going to the gym. It's also possible to go to the gym regularly without actually getting much exercise done. If you go in without a set plan it can lead to you just pottering about for an hour and then heading home.

EDIT: LOL, I need to type faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

OP IMO it's almost impossible to lose significant amounts of weight without eating vegetables especially the green leafy varieties, they're bulky so fill you up without containing huge amounts of calories, plus they're full of micro nutrients that your body needs to function effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

There's probably a bit of added muscle as well but if you're eating badly, you'll put on weight more often than not.[/QUOTE]

Ok well my diet consists of the following but the last week i have been snacking on crisps which i usually don't.

Breakfast

Two weetabix with low fat milk
    Or two crackers with low fat butter slice of ham
    Green tea

Bring the dog off for an hour

Lunch

Small tin of beans with a slice of toast
    Whole chicken fillet in george foreman somedays with one slice of bread
    Tin of tune in brine and a banana
    Cup of Tea low fat milk two sugar

Go to gym for 90 mins

Get two slices of ham after workout

Dinner

Steak and small tin of beans
    Two chicken fillets veg and gravy
    Chicken breast and beans
    I would have potatoes once or twice during the week

At night

Two crackers and a slice of ham
    Two tea low fat milk two sugars

Friday
    5 or 6 drinks and game of darts with a friend

Saturday
    Fry up with toast
    Chicken sandwich
    7 or 8 drinks with the gf and a pizza or snackbox

Sunday
    Fry up with toast
    Chips and chicken and beans
    Share ben and jerry's with gf watching a film

Wednesday
    Tayto popcorn in microwave halved with gf watch a film

Generally i think Monday to Friday is decent but the weekend leaves me down badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

Nut102, you need to get a calorie counting app and record absolutely everything you consume, I mean those drinks alone would cancel out all the work you do in the gym that day, if you want to lose weight it's x amount of calories a day and nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Your food intake is muck.

Crackers and ham :confused:
    Eat eggs, meat, veg, fish (tins of tuna are alright yea) and fruit...
    not crackers and ham...
    You don't need to eat low fat either if calories allow

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Your diet is terrible. That's why you've gained weight

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

There's probably a bit of added muscle as well but if you're eating badly, you'll put on weight more often than not.

Ok well my diet consists of the following but the last week i have been snacking on crisps which i usually don't.

Breakfast

Two weetabix with low fat milk
    Or two crackers with low fat butter slice of ham
    Green tea

Bring the dog off for an hour

Lunch

Small tin of beans with a slice of toast
    Whole chicken fillet in george foreman somedays with one slice of bread
    Tin of tune in brine and a banana
    Cup of Tea low fat milk two sugar

Go to gym for 90 mins

Get two slices of ham after workout

Dinner

Steak and small tin of beans
    Two chicken fillets veg and gravy
    Chicken breast and beans
    I would have potatoes once or twice during the week

At night

Two crackers and a slice of ham
    Two tea low fat milk two sugars

Friday
    5 or 6 drinks and game of darts with a friend

Saturday
    Fry up with toast
    Chicken sandwich
    7 or 8 drinks with the gf and apizza or snackbox

Sunday
    Fry up with toast
    Chips and chicken and beans
    Share ben and jerry's with gf watching a film

Wednesday
    Tayto popcorn in microwave halved with gf watch a film

Generally i think Monday to Friday is decent but the weekend leaves me down badly.[/QUOTE]

Your eating WAY too much carbohydrates... And bad carbohydrates at that... try swapping some of these bolded items out for leafy green veg...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm put off by the fact that the majority of people will say that it's impossible (unless you're genetically gifted) to lose fat and gain muscle simultaneous.

Not at all. I started going to the gym about 5 months ago; I was pushing 16 stone when I started. Im now down to 14.5 stone or thereabouts and have toned up a fair bit in that time. Depends on what you are looking to do and what sort of time frame you are committed to.

Biggest thing for me I think was cutting out some of the rubbish food. This means no white bread (so lose the lunchtime sandwich), fizzy drinks, crisps, and McDonalds type takeaways. Cut down on Chinese food (still get the occasional take away but nowhere near as often as I did). I also cut out a pretty much all processed dinners, and try to make my own food as often as I can. I find pasta an hour before working out really helps me.

I joined a gym and typically spend about 90 minutes or so 3-4 times a week. My workout is a mixture of cardio (usually cross trainer and bike) and weights machines (low row, chest press, leg press, shoulder press, lateral pulls, bicep and tricep curls, stomach crunchs). Personally I think 6 times a week is overkill, and could well end up burning you out pretty quickly.

I would also advise booking a session with a trainer at the gym and get them to come up with a plan for what you are looking to achieve. When I went first I thought I was doing great things on my own until I realised I was barely even warming up once I saw the plan that I had been given. I would have gotten nowhere had my instructor not given me a good plan to work with.

It depends on yourself really. I put no time frame on myself, nor am I allowing it to consume my life. I dont totally starve myself and I dont totally deny myself all the things that I like to eat (Im a firm believer that cold turkey is a one way ticket to binge eating...) Im happy with my progress, but it did take a little while for me to start seeing results.

• Advertisement

Your eating WAY too much carbohydrates... And bad carbohydrates at that... try swapping some of these bolded items out for leafy green veg...

I think the fruit's okay for the level of cardio he does, could do with a small portion of the pots/rice or whatever as well
    But the rest of it, no

Advertisement