Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym dilemma!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

Here is what I eat on an average day. My goal at the moment - build lean muscle / cut body fat... high protein & fat, low carb diet

07.30 - Warm water with juice half lemon & grated ginger

09.30 - 1 scoop diet protein, handful berries, 5/6 walnut halves, big handful spinach & 300ml water (hand blender)

12:00 - GYM either HIIT workout for 45 mins or 5*5 strength training with HIIT - couple of samples :

Workout One
    Strength
    Bench Press (5 * 5) (bar 60kg)
    Barbell Row (5 * 5) (bar 60kg)
    Circuit
    (burpies, trx jump squat, trx pullup, zombie squat, 16kg kb stepup, sides2sides, kb swing 16kg, box jumps, pressup, plank, hip raise) 45secs then 30secs per station

Workout Two
    Warmup
    10pushup, 15 squat, 5 burpies, 4 plankwalk (* 4 sets)
    Circuit
    Bicycle Situp, Mountain Climber, Supermans, 400 mtr sprint, Sumo Squat to high pull, pushup, thruster, 20kg kb row (* 4 sets)
    Finisher
    30 secs Mountain climbers, 30 sec plank (* 4 sets)

14:00 - Bag of frozen broccoli steamed, homemade chilli con carne (no beans) & an avocado

On days when I'm doing double sessions training usually HIIT sessions like above in evenings and stronglifts at lunchtime

18:00 - 3 eggs scrambled, broccoli or a banana and a few cashews / almonds

22:00 (after training) - 3 chicken fillets steams, 3 eggs any way you want usually I scramble them with real butter, spinach

on days I'm taking the evenings off, I have my dinner at around

19:00 - usually 3 chicken fillets steamed, bag of broccoli, other assorted vegetables

My main cheat means would consist of Sweet Potato or maybe make a chilli chicken cashew stir fry with some brown rice..

I also drink at least 3 litres of water a day. If I am snacking (which I don't really do much cos I eat so much damn broccoli), I am eating nuts (small handfuls) or if I'm really hungry Ill lash a scoop of protein in some water and drink that.

I train double sessions (Mon, Wed, Fri) and single sessions (Tue, Thurs) and then go mountain biking up in Ballinastoe most Saturday mornings.

I am currently 91.6 KG and 5'11"

Have to say, I have stopped eating grains and dairy for the last three weeks and I feel better than I have ever felt body wise ever... Think I might be getting converted to Paleo :)

I try and sleep for at a minimum 9 hours per night... its not that hard, do be wrecked by 10.30PM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Well aren't you fantastic!

Not really, just know what I want and am determined to reach my goals (sub 8% body-fat)

Just posting it as an example of a clean way to lose body-fat & build muscle, there is lots of ways to do it and its different for everyone. I am trying to point out here that you don't need a whole pile of carbs or sugar to train hard and its probably one of the most effective ways to lose body-fat..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Are you doing HIIT and weights on the same day? Looks a bit hectic to be honest and you'd struggle to do it with a 9-5 job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Well aren't you fantastic!

So are you.
    You called your man's food intake much and offered no help/alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ok well my diet consists of the following but the last week i have been snacking on crisps which i usually don't.

Your eating WAY too much carbohydrates... And bad carbohydrates at that... try swapping some of these bolded items out for leafy green veg...[/QUOTE]

I know your right i cut out bread from my diet and i lost 8 pounds in a month without much exercising. The crackers it's just been recently i can eliminate them.

I am going to try cut the bread out, the crackers out and reduce it to one treat a week.

I am going to stock up on chicken, tuna and fruit for my lunches.

I am also going to stock up on chicken and streak and try have one of either most days for dinner.

Also with the good weather i love mackrel i am going to try start eating more mackrel.

Also instead of potatoes i am going to double up on my veg with dinner.

Are you doing HIIT and weights on the same day? Looks a bit hectic to be honest and you'd struggle to do it with a 9-5 job.

Yes, doing HIIT and strength training on same days. Keep my sessions in gym to under one hour, usually around 50mins - I train as hard as I can in this time with minimal breaks and when I'm lifting I super set everything.

I work 8 to 5 day job... its definitely manageable.. its pretty hectic but I feel great..

Once I get to my goal of less than 8% bodyfat, I'll ease up on the diet and move to single sessions 6 days a week but as they say "no pain no gain"

I've gone from around 105/8kg last February and serious body-fat levels to a level I am pretty comfortable with but I am getting a bit obsessive with it now and to get to sub 10% body-fat you gotta work hard.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Your eating WAY too much carbohydrates... And bad carbohydrates at that... try swapping some of these bolded items out for leafy green veg...

I know your right i cut out bread from my diet and i lost 8 pounds in a month without much exercising. The crackers it's just been recently i can eliminate them.

I am going to try cut the bread out, the crackers out and reduce it to one treat a week.

I am going to stock up on chicken, tuna and fruit for my lunches.

I am also going to stock up on chicken and streak and try have one of either most days for dinner.

Also with the good weather i love mackrel i am going to try start eating more mackrel.

Also instead of potatoes i am going to double up on my veg with dinner.

If you are going to eat carbs stick to the likes of sweet potato, potato, brown rice, quinoa and only eat them after training...

id be sticking to under 100gm brown rice (cooked) or around 250gm sweet potato (uncooked) same with normal spuds..

Cos I eat so little carbs, usually around 50-75grms a day, once a week, I'll have a re-feed day too where I will up my carb intake in a big way and eat a portion of complex carbs with every meal... This helps with recovery but I'll do it on a day where I'm squatting heavy and working my large muscle groups...

You need to get to know your body, and what fuel it needs to go...

When I completely cut out sugar and caffeine, I would get really bad headaches...

I always trained hard but I screwed around with my diet so much over the last 18 months, I never saw the proper results of the hard training!!!

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym :)

batistuta9 wrote: »
    So are you.

Eh...i was being serious.

His diet is excellent. If everyone ate and trained like him there'd be a lot more attractive people walking around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So are you.

You might have missed the link between the name rick fantastic and being called fantastic, Gabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

His diet is excellent. If everyone ate and trained like him there'd be a lot more attractive people walking around.

Yeah it is pretty much perfect but to be fair it probably discourages people like OP who are new to this. I mean brown rice and a sweet potato as a cheat meal, jaysus! Small steps and all that for the OP, he doesn't need to be that meticulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Just goes to show you how people can think there diet is good but not really have a clue at all.

I meet an old friend once a week for 5 or 6 pints to catch up i can't see this changing.

Saturday's the gf likes to relax and have a drink after working hard all week. We have agreed to mix it up drinking and going to cinema on Saturdays.

My main goals is to get to my ideal weight which is to lose 10 pounds. So i am going to talk to a trainer at the gym to get a program to start from Monday.

Improve my diet thanks to help here and cut down on alcohol.

It is easier said then done but once i get into a routine i will relapse sometimes but hopefully makes the changes long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

A lot of yer diets have a lot of fish, I really do not care for it and it turns my stomach, any alternatives to fish?

I need to sort my diet out fairly rapidly. Im fit enough, play GAA to a high enough level, im 5'10 and just under 12 stone but I need to put in a lot more effort gym and diet wise to go any further in the GAA I reckon. I've seen here and heard alot that diet is 80% and exercise 20% so I may start with my diet.

Sorry for butting in on this thread also OP!

My daily routine generally is as follows:

7.45 - Bowl of Weetabix, sometimes with a banana and blue berries, milk depends on whats there, odd time i'll have toast with butter.
    9.30 - A banana if I didn't have it with the breakfast.
    11.00 - Nutrigain bar and a cup of tea with full fat milk. Often eat a few biscuits in the canteen.
    1.45 - Wrap, brown roll with chicken, lettuce, red onion, peppers and cheese. Sometimes i'd get a shepards pie instead.
    5.00 - Dinner i'd have some sort of meat, chicken,bacon or beef with either rice, pasta or spuds.
    8.30 - eat some leftovers from earlier or a sandwich
    I drink over 2 liters a day of water.

Training wise we train Tuesdays, Fridays and normally Sundays. I'd usually play astro turf once a week maybe and play golf some of the other evenings. Need to get a decent gym programme tailored to GAA and stick to it.

Maybe someone could point me in the right direction to the above, I probably no some of the stuff I need to do but if someone points it out rather than myself I might be more inclined to listen!:D

dcrosskid wrote: »
    A lot of yer diets have a lot of fish, I really do not care for it and it turns my stomach, any alternatives to fish?

Don't worry about the fish, you're getting meat in there.

Nuts102s' diet?
    that's what you called muck (entered much on my phone by mistake when i replied) & gave no help to him

sounded a bit sarcastic/snipy though.
    You might have missed the link between the name rick fantastic and being called fantastic, Gabby.

it wasn't about him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Nuts102s' diet?
    that's what you called muck (entered much on my phone by mistake when i replied) & gave no help to him

sounded a bit sarcastic/snipy though.

it wasn't about him

Read again there. It was pretty clearly about Rick Fantastic. Especially since she clarifies it.

I thought the same until I saw his name.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Read again there. It was pretty clearly about Rick Fantastic. Especially since she clarifies it.

I thought the same until I saw his name.

this post here? two posts after Nuts102s' & before rick posted his

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

this post here? two posts after Nuts102s' & before rick posted his

No

Blacktie. wrote: »
    No

no, what?

• Advertisement

A poster called rick fantastic posts.

The next post is SB's saying 'aren't you fantastic'.

How obvious does it have to be?

A poster called rick fantastic posts.

The next post is SB's saying 'aren't you fantastic'.

How obvious does it have to be?

Im on about what she said to nuts102 ffs

Or you would be if it was directed at Nuts 102.

It wasn't.

The end.

Or you would be if it was directed at Nuts 102.

It wasn't.

The end.

who was this post directed at? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91316368&postcount=26

that is the post i'm on about! the one directed at Nuts102. rick hadn't even posted in the thread by then
    i just quoted the other post - that's why you are getting mixed up

who was this post directed at? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91316368&postcount=26

that is the post i'm on about! the one directed at Nuts102. rick hadn't even posted in the thread by then
    i just quoted the other post - that's why you are getting mixed up

Why have you got your knickers in a twist? Someone has already posted a better more detailed reply than I ever could have.

OR the OP could read the stickies and see what a decent diet is.

I'm not here to spoon feed people information.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Focus solely on losing fat? even though it's tedious, unenjoyable and takes a long time

That wasn't the post you quoted initially. Hence the confusion/back pedalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I love threads about who said what to whom. It's like a really shìt version of Cluedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Focus solely on losing fat? even though it's tedious, unenjoyable and takes a long time
    I love threads about who said what to whom. It's like a really shìt version of Cluedo.
    I don't know what a tea apt shìt means, but it's sounds fitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't know what a tea apt shìt means, but it's sounds fitting.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

/ninja

• Advertisement
Advertisement