Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It all began in Ireland for WC winning scorer Mario Goetze.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm admittedly too lazy to check myself, but does anyone know what the players of both of those squads ended up?

From an Irish perspective, John Egan was at Sunderland for a few years without ever making a first team appearance and now plays for Gillingham. I'm sure a few play in the League of Ireland, Murray for one?

As for the Germans, ter Stegen is with Barcelona and Gotze speaks for himself, but I wouldn't be familiar with many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    I'm admittedly too lazy to check myself, but does anyone know what the players of both of those squads ended up?

From an Irish perspective, John Egan was at Sunderland for a few years without ever making a first team appearance and now plays for Gillingham. I'm sure a few play in the League of Ireland, Murray for one?

As for the Germans, ter Stegen is with Barcelona and Gotze speaks for himself, but I wouldn't be familiar with many others.

Michael Rafter plays down here with Cork City, injured for the season and the Robert Benson I presume is Robbie Benson who now plays with UCD. I think the Ryan Connolly there is with Sligo now as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

In the past couple of weeks, 1 has won a World Cup medal while the other has been released by Waterford United in the First Division (Shane Murray).

INPHO_00276499.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Played football either with or against all of those Irish lads.

Not many made it across the water at all, and the majority that did are back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

How does playing twice here equate to 'it all beginning for him in Ireland'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Paully D wrote: »

Aaron mccarey played for monaghon went to wolves think he is out on loan from them, he was called into the ireland squad at one stage. Sean stewart played a few games for pats think he plays LSL now. Sean skelly played or plays for longford I think. Just goes to show how hard it is to make the breakthrough all these lads at u16 were getting trials left, right and centre and were the best players at their age group. Most of them now seem to be struggling to make a living from the game and none are household names( from the irish side)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Aaron mccarey played for monaghon went to wolves think he is out on loan from them, he was called into the ireland squad at one stage. Sean stewart played a few games for pats think he plays LSL now. Sean skelly played or plays for longford I think. Just goes to show how hard it is to make the breakthrough all these lads at u16 were getting trials left, right and centre and were the best players at their age group. Most of them now seem to be struggling to make a living from the game and none are household names( from the irish side)

Mark O'Brien is still the most promising of the lot. He's been an unbelievable footballer since he was 11/12, but has never, ever had any luck with injuries. Afaik he is still playing for Derby County, but had a very serious heart condition a few years ago which left him out of action for a while. Really hope he makes it because he was incredibly talented whilst young and even when he first went to Derby. Pretty sure he made his debut at 16 or 17 in the last game of the season against Watford 5 years ago!

EDIT: Actually after looking at that line up, I'm pretty sure that's just a home grown team for Ireland with 1 or 2 lads from England. You're missing the likes of Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick to name two from that age group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Check out the HUMOUR thread, a quote from Twitter last night from some Irish guy who must have played in one of these games, and he was saying something along the lines of "I played against Mario a few years back, now sitting watching him win a WC Final, while I eat a packet of pickled onion Monster Munch".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"while I eat a packet of pickled onion Monster Munch."

It's not all bad, so. They're not bad, as taytos go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

In the past couple of weeks, 1 has won a World Cup medal while the other has been released by Waterford United in the First Division (Shane Murray).

INPHO_00276499.jpg

Shane was at Sheff United for a few years and played vs Man Utd in the final of the Milk cup a few years ago. Was live on BBC and was probably the best player on the pitch, or at least one of them. I think he was also captain for one of the Ireland youth teams. He broke his leg while at Sheff Utd at an important stage in his development and never really came back from it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I also liked Karl Sheppard's tweet the other day: https://twitter.com/karlsheppard9/status/488468676447055873
    Shkodran Mustafi got released shortly after me at Everton and won a World Cup today.. I won a Leinster senior cup medal last season....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Corholio wrote: »
    Michael Rafter plays down here with Cork City, injured for the season and the Robert Benson I presume is Robbie Benson who now plays with UCD. I think the Ryan Connolly there is with Sligo now as well.

I think that Ryan connolly is passing for Galway fc now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

NIMAN wrote: »
    Check out the HUMOUR thread, a quote from Twitter last night from some Irish guy who must have played in one of these games, and he was saying something along the lines of "I played against Mario a few years back, now sitting watching him win a WC Final, while I eat a packet of pickled onion Monster Munch".

That was Conor Devlin. Played in the Manchester United academy for years before being released and moving back to northern ireland

Advertisement