Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford + Fiat + 160bhp + wet roads = bad outcome

Options
  • 15-07-2014 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭

Reported in today's Indo.

160 bhp seem like quite a bit of oomph in a smallish car.

I guess you can always say that any accident is the driver's fault

"The car just skidded as it was raining really badly and Nadia braked to try to control it and it spun out of control, flipping over."

I assume they mean aqua planed rather than "skidded".

Should sellers of "high powered" cars be obliged to include some driver training for the car they are about to purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

So she hit a puddle and crashed her car "flipping over several times".

"It was one of those unavoidable things" - a friend said.

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

How fast was she going in the thing to have enough kinetic energy to flip it over six times?

I sense a case of Speed followed by Lift-Off oversteer.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Too much pep in that little yoke for the particular driver, methinks. A friend of ours managed to turn a Yaris over on a motorway some years back, mere months after passing her driving test. Some people are just a terror ta Jaysis. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Skinny wheels and a short wheel base probably didn't help...but hey gotta be a pretty safe car that she was able to walk away from it after flipping over a bunch of times, gotta be quiet a lot of driver error involved here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It's the indo she probably aquaplaned and did a 180, glad she's alright though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Thread title should be - Nadia Forde + Bad driving = crash

She was obviously driving outside her capabilities in weather were she should have been more careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

josip wrote: »

Should sellers of "high powered" cars be obliged to include some driver training for the car they are about to purchase?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No. Its up to the driver to know what they are driving. Ill hazard a guess that if she was driving the conditions then this would not have happened; cars very rarely skid and flip over of their own accord...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

OSI wrote: »
    Why? What about the car having 160bhp meant she flipped the car? None of it. She aquaplanned on the motorway and panicked. Cue poor driving decision and flipped car. Nothing to do with it being "high powered".

Aye, any car can do 50mph + in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You could actually argue the point that high performance car is less likely to loose it, as it will have better suspension and better tyres (usually) and maybe better electronic intervention. which the owner will have turned on of course :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

High performance? Lads it's 160 bhp hardly a rocketship.
    Poor driving in the wet leads to a little spin, shock horror!
    Lazy reporting by the indo again.

It's a good job it wasn't a Lambo or a 426 Hemi she had - there'd be moral panic on a par with John Charles McQuaid! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not a rocketship but it's power to weight ratio would be above some more powerful larger cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Not a rocketship but it's power to weight ratio would be above some more powerful larger cars.

I had one for a week when I was in England in 2012. It was some fun I can tell you. I'd buy one if I didn't need a practical car.

Mmm. Peppy enough, but only 12 BHP/tonne up on, for example, a 2.0 TSI Passat Sport. 'Tis no Fireblade. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Misspelled thread title = head scratching wondering where the other car was involved...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

They're already obliged to put in airbags and seatbelts, which seem to be holding back natural selection by quite a bit :pac:

In addition to seven airbags, the 500 Abarth comes with...
    I'd say she used most of these during her six flips
    ...smart pedals that move out of the way during a collision to better protect the driver's feet and legs...
    Important consideration if you're a model and need to work
    ...Traction and stability control systems are also fitted as standard
    There's only so much the technology can do

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

That table is weight divided by power, bigger number means less performance.:)

Joe 90 wrote: »
    That table is weight divided by power, bigger number means less performance.:)

1/Oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

160bhp is powerful now? Jesus wept...

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭earlyapex

I think it's just a case of fake planted story. Her trying to raise her profile as she is trying to launch a singing career.

you see this all the time when career is fading or new album coming out soon, like jedward almost drowning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JC01 wrote: »
    160bhp is powerful now? Jesus wept...

Its powerful enough in a car that size. And its powerful relative to the majority of cars on the road over here.

I agree though, its not exactly a rocketship and Im not having its power as much of a factor in this incident. Anyone who drives anything with a bit of poke should know how to adjust to the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

According to a sunday paper she has got herself a Porsche boxster in the us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Glad shes ok but obviously driving out of her abilities
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    Skinny wheels and a short wheel base probably didn't help...but hey gotta be a pretty safe car that she was able to walk away from it after flipping over a bunch of times, gotta be quiet a lot of driver error involved here.
    205 or 215 is hardly a skinny tyre now in fairness tbh specially on a car that size

straight up, NO

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Regular Abarths are 135bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Could have been lotsa things - happily she's ok

- added bonus : you can spot clowns by them saying "omg the 160hp did it, evil, evil "

usCFeH9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bop1977

Good to know she is ok. A testimony to modern safety standards.

(AH answer) wimmins drivers, pfth;-).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Always someone or something else to blame....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

gctest50 wrote: »
    Could have been lotsa things - happily she's ok

- added bonus : you can spot clowns by them saying "omg the 160hp did it, evil, evil "

usCFeH9.jpg

Is that correct as I would have expected those results for over pressure not under

Advertisement