Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paudie Coffey appointed Junior Minister

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

It will only be good news if something actually gets done ,Which I doubt ,oh there will be all the right sound bites etc But I'm not expecting much to be honest .

But please prove me wrong Paudie .

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Indeed it is welcome news, not a reason to be dancing in the streets by any stretch but a positive development and somewhat unexpected. As Rockman says its over to him to see what he does with it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

BBM77 wrote: »
    Bit of good news.

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/6133-waterfords-paudie-coffey-appointed-junior-minister-for-the-environment.html

Eye to the next election I know but at least we will have some voice in the government now. Complete slap in the face for Deasy though.

Kenny will have to be long gone before Deasy gets any chance of a ministerial position .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Chiparus wrote: »
    Kenny will have to be long gone before Deasy gets any chance of a ministerial position .

Absolutely, his behaviour has made him a complete outcast. I would even doubt he’d have much chance under any FG Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    It will only be good news if something actually gets done ,Which I doubt ,oh there will be all the right sound bites etc But I'm not expecting much to be honest .

But please prove me wrong Paudie .

I don’t think junior ministers have much power to get things done. But he will be a voice at the upper levels of government we have not had since Martin Cullen and it puts him on the road to being a full minister someday (hopefully). As far as I am concerned having your TD’s ministers and junior ministers is all that matters in the Irish political system. Everything else is just scenery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Coffey will do the same thing he has done since he was elected. Smile, nod, ate the free dinners and ultimately nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dzilla wrote: »
    Coffey will do the same thing he has done since he was elected. Smile, nod, ate the free dinners and ultimately nothing.

You can say that, but he's clearly doing something if he's got himself onto the first rung of the ladder. Politics is a long game and he's clearly playing it.

Fair play to him - it's good to see someone from Waterford gaining traction politically. He's probably had to shut up and swallow an awful lot that he didn't like to get there. That's the way it is. Let Deasy play bad cop and Coffey play good cop. If one of them gets to be a minister eventually, it will be to our favour.

And no, I'm not a Fine Gael supporter - far from it indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

All Coffey did was be in the right place at the right time, his appointment is down to geography nothing more. I dont think anyones seen or heard from him since his election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

shockwave wrote: »
    All Coffey did was be in the right place at the right time, his appointment is down to geography nothing more. I dont think anyones seen or heard from him since his election.

How or why he got there doesn't really matter. He's on the first rung and that's a positive for Waterford.

I'm all for people huffing and puffing and protesting about this and that in Waterford, but we also need inside men and women, who don't look like they're doing much, but who are slowly and steadily getting hold of the levers of power.

If we have Deasy causing a fuss but achieving nothing, it gets us noticed and onto the agenda, and if we have Paudie Coffey working quietly behind the scenes, then in my view we have the ideal combination of TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

At the next election, there will be only 2 government seats in Waterford and this is to ensure that both are FG.

Conway will be the loser in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

dzilla wrote: »

+1,000,000

Anyone who thinks this is great news for Waterford is naive and blinkered. He will not become a full minister for a very very long time if ever and in the meantime he has years of saying yes sir to Enda, claiming his many expenses along the way and turning up at every fancy gala/dinner/event rubbing shoulders with all the right people, all the while signing off petitions to privatize local bus services and generally be a puppet. He has no power and he knows it, but wants to enjoy the cream of his position, its a shame many people cant see that. Just like Conway, no power and just a yes man.

If he represents FG, then by association he is ok with Water Taxes, he is ok with cuts to disabled children, increases in college fees etc etc. If he has any guts he will use every single chance he gets to push for more jobs down here, more tourism festivals etc etc. But i doubt he will. You know why? Because nobody else before him (in his position) has ever done it. The truth hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

+1,000,000

Anyone who thinks this is great news for Waterford is naive and blinkered. He will not become a full minister for a very very long time if ever and in the meantime he has years of saying yes sir to Enda, claiming his many expenses along the way and turning up at every fancy gala/dinner/event rubbing shoulders with all the right people, all the while signing off petitions to privatize local bus services and generally be a puppet. He has no power and he knows it, but wants to enjoy the cream of his position, its a shame many people cant see that. Just like Conway, no power and just a yes man.

If he represents FG, then by association he is ok with Water Taxes, he is ok with cuts to disabled children, increases in college fees etc etc. If he has any guts he will use every single chance he gets to push for more jobs down here, more tourism festivals etc etc. But i doubt he will. You know why? Because nobody else before him (in his position) has ever done it. The truth hurts.

who do you think will do all those things you hope for?
    I think its a good thing myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Max Powers wrote: »
    who do you think will do all those things you hope for?
    I think its a good thing myself.

I think it's neither a good thing nor a bad thing.

It's just a thing.

It's of no real consequence than as others have said, trying to retain a 2nd FG seat in the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ei9go wrote: »

She has already lost anyway. Her antics of a couple of months ago will see to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

ei9go wrote: »

That would be great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

Coffey is in his first term as a TD having been elected in 2011. it is a great opportunity for him, so lets give him a chance before we start criticising him!

Advertisement