Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More criminal activity associated with "protests" in Dundalk. Since no ordinary home owning working person would want to be associated with this nonsense petty criminals are being brought into estates to "protest", as I posted yesterday. Overnight at the same location criminals set fire to plastic barriers used by the IW contractors. And the response from local Sinn Fein? There should be a more measured Garda response to protests. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.lmfm.ie/news/councillor-calls-for-more-measured-garda-response-to-peaceful-water-metre-protests/3157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Ormus wrote: »

If this is true, my question is, why did the government not say this in the first place? Why not just come out and say listen guys, we need to reduce the deficit, so we're gonna meter all water usage but taxes will not be reduced accordingly, as we need to reduce the deficit?

They should have.
    Same with the property tax.

As to why they haven't - the public sector seems to love needless bureaucracy and overly complicating things.

Far simplier to have said to the electorate 'We need to broaden the tax base and reduce the deficit so we're introdcing water charges and property tax' - end of.

Anyone with half a brain anyway can see that's why we're doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ormus wrote: »
    If this is true, my question is, why did the government not say this in the first place? Why not just come out and say listen guys, we need to reduce the deficit, so we're gonna meter all water usage but taxes will not be reduced accordingly, as we need to reduce the deficit?
    The water charges were part of the EU/IMF bailout agreement - their context was very clear to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

More criminal activity associated with "protests" in Dundalk. Since no ordinary home owning working person would want to be associated with this nonsense petty criminals are being brought into estates to "protest", as I posted yesterday. Overnight at the same location criminals set fire to plastic barriers used by the IW contractors. And the response from local Sinn Fein? There should be a more measured Garda response to protests. You couldn't make it up.

http://www.lmfm.ie/news/councillor-calls-for-more-measured-garda-response-to-peaceful-water-metre-protests/3157

More of the same from the pro brigade. Create a generalised group and ridicul, heckle and degrade them and anyone with their own view and belief shall be cast into this group even though its their only avenue to object to all aspects of the situation. Anyone who doesnt want to be cast into this group will do well to avoid protesting, the rest will fall into line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Of course the guards are all over this rather than clean up the cesspit that is Dublin City. They just get the easy targets.

Haven't you read the news recently? There's a massive clean up going on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Hijpo wrote: »
    More of the same from the pro brigade. Create a generalised group and ridicul, heckle and degrade them and anyone with their own view and belief shall be cast into this group even though its their only avenue to object to all aspects of the situation. Anyone who doesnt want to be cast into this group will do well to avoid protesting, the rest will fall into line.

Are you saying it was the "pro brigade" who caused the fire brigade to come along and put the fire out in a demonstration of a bit of agent provocateur-ing ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are you saying it was the "pro brigade" who caused the fire brigade to come along and put the fire out in a demonstration of a bit of agent provocateur-ing ?

A more measured approach to arson should be taken. The lads were probably just trying to keep warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Daith wrote: »
    He did pay for it as long as he paid tax. The charge is now going up and more transparent and for metered stuff yes more fairer now though.

...And will water charges be tax free? i.e will our taxes be reduced accordingly? No. So how is this fair on anyone?

...And will water charges be tax free? i.e will our taxes be reduced accordingly? No. So how is this fair on anyone?

How do you know this when the budget is 2 months away?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Whats the best way to avoid paying it? :)

No contract No consent? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Quite so, my girlfriend binned the form. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

No public water service for you then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

papu wrote: »
    No public water service for you then.

A fella told me that Irish Water can't switch off the water? :confused:

Or it could have been my dog....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Private company ? I don't think so .. Owned and funded by the government pal..

Look on the CRO website and search for Irish water, then see if your mind is changed about whether it's a private company or not

We really need to not believe everything our government tell us. The week of mistruths in government this week alone should tell you that much

A fella told me that Irish Water can't switch off the water? :confused:

Or it could have been my dog....

From Irish water

"if you use the public water mains and/or public sewage system will receive a bill from Irish Water."

"The pack is not a contract but an Application for Allowances."

so , bin , burn , throw away , and send back your free allowances by all means :rolleyes:

Look on the CRO website and search for Irish water, then see if your mind is changed about whether it's a private company or not

We really need to not believe everything our government tell us. The week of mistruths in government this week alone should tell you that much

Who owns IW then? Have they not been completely funded by the government so far?

It's a registered company wholly owned by the government.

From Irish water

"if you use the public water mains and/or public sewage system will receive a bill from Irish Water."

"The pack is not a contract but an Application for Allowances."

so , bin , burn , throw away , and send back your free allowances by all means :rolleyes:

Free allowances don't mean a jot if we're not paying anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

It's a registered company wholly owned by the government.

Private limited company by shares. I really don't understand how this escapes people.it doesn't matter a jot where the original funding is sourced, it is registered as and will be sold as.

Who owns IW then? Have they not been completely funded by the government so far?

You seem to have overlooked my previous post to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Phoebas wrote: »
    The water charges were part of the EU/IMF bailout agreement - their context was very clear to everyone.

Are you sure their context was very clear to everyone? Everyone?

I'm fairly sure it's not clear to a large proportion of the population.

Maybe it should be, but it's really not.

EazyD wrote: »
    Private limited company by shares. I really don't understand how this escapes people.it doesn't matter a jot where the original funding is sourced, it is registered as and will be sold as.

This doesn't mean it is a private company. The shares are owned by the state & state owned Ervia formerly Bord Gáis.

Free allowances don't mean a jot if we're not paying anyway

"in this eventuality, non-paying customers will be pursued like any other utility company."

From IW.

All these questions are answered a million times over on their twitter.
    Might educate a few people

Shares which are owned by the state.

"in this eventuality, non-paying customers will be pursued like any other utility company."

From IW.

All these questions are answered a million times over on their twitter.
    Might educate a few people

Any other utility company (of which most/all are now privately owned) can cut off your supply.
    IW legally can't. And don't bring up the reduced pressure argument as that has already been covered

Any other utility company (of which most/all are now privately owned) can cut off your supply.
    IW legally can't. And don't bring up the reduced pressure argument as that has already been covered

So If i don't have a TV license , but have a TV, they can cut off the radio waves?

Shares which are owned by the state.

Doesn't negate the fact the company is registered as such an will be sold as such. By technicality yes, the shares are currently an asset of the state, which are to be then sold on, but saying it's simply a government owned company is not true.

Doesn't negate the fact the company is registered as such an will be sold as such. By technicality yes, the shares are currently an asset of the state, which are to be then sold on, but saying it's simply a government owned company is not true.

Can you show me where these plans to sell Irish Water are stated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Idbatterim wrote: »
    what do the anti water chargers have to say on the below from the economics forum? Of course we would all prefer if they didn't have to raise taxes or cut spending. But they can f**k right off with any income tax increases, let everyone including the pensioners who have taken the least of a hit, according to a report out today, "share the pain"... because it certainly hasn't been dished out in equal doses!

You do know that if we all conserve water that the super quango will increase the price.
    Profit has to be maintained for this monster so it looks like a saleable asset.
    Anyone who thinks that this thing has been set up for any other reason than to be sold down the line, is entirely DELUDED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Can you show me where these plans to sell Irish Water are stated?

Still banging on about this are you?
    The bailout deal states that Irish assets are to be sold in order to pay off debt.
    The infrastructure will remain in the control of the state and the money gouging part will be sold to the highest bidder.
    That's the plan, your betters in Europe have spoken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement