Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

T-Maxx wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes by this government .
    the people of Ireland are been denied
    We are? They don't seem to be doing a very good job of denying us water, water is flowing just fine from every tap I've used in the last 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Phoebas wrote: »
    There are no plans to privatise Irish Water.

There were no plans to take a bailout but hey, sh1t happens....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

I really don't get all this water hassle thing, I lived in the uk and water charges are quite normal, water has to be treated to make it safe, also you have the pipe network to be maintained, you guys just have to suck it up, its here to stay along with the property tax and universal social charge to name just a few. There is no going back now, people should have mounted some sort of strong people power protests long ago, its late now to complain.

Does anyone on here want to categorically state that the super quango known as Irish Water will never be privatised?
    And if they do, can they show us the proof please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

It will be privatised in about 4 or 5 years time, and I will be buying shares in it, look at the profits they will be making, all from the poor tax payer.

It's funny looking back through the week and seeing how this thread always loses a lot of the ones in favour of all these taxes and charges around 3.30-4pm.
    I wonder why that is? 32 hour week anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Yes and...?
    :eek::eek::eek:
    Yes and...?
    :confused::confused:

The level of debate here is just terrific. Informative. logical. Really helps you understand a difficult issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

so, since 1st october water charges are coming into force, how are you going to react to this and how do you think people are going to react especially first of all?

Will they just carry on using the same amount of water as they used to before 1st october? - will they wait until the first bill comes in on 2015 and then guage that and adjust their water usage? - or will people frantically be turning off taps whilst washing teeth, stop flushing toilets and have less showers and baths since 1st october?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I expect they'll be giving me bottled water at restaurants now to save costs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is it really that hard to use the mega thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249879&page=211

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

If its yellow, let it mellow. If its brown, flush it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I have no problem with water charges as long as its fair and it conserves water and restores old systems.

They should be offering big grants on rainwater harvesting systems so we don't have to use treated quality water to flush our toilets with.

If we could use the water that the sky rains on us, we may even be able to stay within our annual allowance.

They should also be making the bill tax deductible as tax was paying for water before. Now our already taxed income has to be spent on water, which our previous tax paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

Or, or, or - we don't actually care very much (at all tbh) to ration our water all of a sudden.

I left the tap on this morning while brushing my teeth because I just don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I have no problem with water charges as long as its fair and it conserves water and restores old systems.

They should be offering big grants on rainwater harvesting systems so we don't have to use treated quality water to flush our toilets with.

If we could use the water that the sky rains on us, we may even be able to stay within our annual allowance.

They should also be making the bill tax deductible as tax was paying for water before. Now our already taxed income has to be spent on water, which our previous tax paid for.

You cannot save money by saving water. Its been reported that if IW do not make enough money they have the power to increase the rates.

Scary stuff. If its state owned I wonder what the first excuse will be to increase rates. If its privately owned wouldnt it create a monopoly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Or, or, or - we don't actually care very much (at all tbh) to ration our water all of a sudden.

I left the tap on this morning while brushing my teeth because I just don't care.

You wild bastard :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I just flushed the toilet after a piss, fuk da gubbermint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I propose a Water Forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm so glad there is a thread on the water charges at last. Now I might find out how wasteful I have been and how to cut back somewhat.

I have no intention of changing my usuage pattern and will just play the bill when it comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Riddle101

People will probably end up acting like this for now in regards to water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is it October next year that they are charging for it in Sligo or every where?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

if it ain't crusty then it doesn't need washing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

You realise "should" never counted for anything?
    __
    edit: I agree though, but if you want to make use of rainwater, that will be out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Hijpo wrote: »
    You cannot save money by saving water. Its been reported that if IW do not make enough money they have the power to increase the rates.

Scary stuff. If its state owned I wonder what the first excuse will be to increase rates. If its privately owned wouldnt it create a monopoly?
    IW has no power to increase rates. That power lies with the CER.

IW has no power to increase rates. That power lies with the CER.
    The super quango will apply for rises once it realises that it's loss making.
    It has to be shown to make a profit in order for the money gouging arm of it to be privatised.

On a side note, haven't government appointed regulator's served us so well in this country?

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    The super quango will apply for rises once it realises that it's loss making.
    It has to be shown to make a profit in order for the money gouging arm of it to be privatised.

On a side note, haven't government appointed regulator's served us so well in this country?

Doesnt want the government involved in water provision.
    Doesnt want it privatised.

What to do! !!

Doesnt want the government involved in water provision.
    Doesnt want it privatised.

What to do! !!

Allow the LA's to continue upgrading the infrastructure as they were doing (and will continue to do for the next 12 years) and pay through general taxation as before.
    Hardly that taxing on your brain now, was it?

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Allow the LA's to continue upgrading the infrastructure as they were doing (and will continue to do for the next 12 years) and pay through general taxation as before.
    Hardly that taxing on your brain now, was it?

So you do want the government regulating the price of water but you don't want a government regulator regulating the price of water.
    The logic of that is taxing on my brain I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I really don't get all this water hassle thing, I lived in the uk and water charges are quite normal, water has to be treated to make it safe, also you have the pipe network to be maintained, you guys just have to suck it up, its here to stay along with the property tax and universal social charge to name just a few. There is no going back now, people should have mounted some sort of strong people power protests long ago, its late now to complain.

You have hit the nail oth.

Its a vicious circle in Ireland, we do nothing but elect them in,we then complain.

We repeat this process,nothing changes.

Same old,same old.

We are living in a stagnant country,run by vested interest.

There is no leadership.

Although,the profiteers on the side,are as usual, picking up the spoils.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

ScumLord wrote: »
    I expect they'll be giving me bottled water at restaurants now to save costs..

There was already a commercial water charge for businesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement