Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Phoebas wrote: »
    Well - I didn't think you'd resort to personal abuse so early :D

Not really.
    You asked how I wanted my water supplied and I said...

"Allow the LA's to continue upgrading the infrastructure as they were doing (and will continue to do for the next 12 years) and pay through general taxation as before."

Then you replied.....

"So you do want the government regulating the price of water but you don't want a government regulator regulating the price of water.
    The logic of that is taxing on my brain I'm afraid."

So, you see, you do seem a bit confused there or maybe you can't or, more lightly, don't want to understand the point I made.

BTW, good to see we're being watched..........spooky!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

There was already a commercial water charge for businesses.

That's correct.
    In Boyle, Roscommon, the super quango have allowed a 40% reduction in charges for restaurants.
    Thing is though, they can't use any of the water..Mad or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The "protest" in Dundalk is being organised by republican paramilitaries. They are calling it a protest against an anti working class initiative. Which is a bit ironic since most of these characters haven't ever troubled a workplace much with their presence. And they would not be very attractive prospects for any employer looking to hire. Their contempt for law and order and democracy is plain to see in this diatribe. No wonder then that some very dodgy people, well known to the Gardai over the years are to be seen whenever they invade local estates. I would have to surmise that criminals are also involved with these protests in Dublin and elsewhere.

http://www.republicanunity.org/arrests-wont-halt-resistance/

If the owners of private property who go out to earn a living are really putting their faith in this rabble then I despair for the future of politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Please keep it civil folks, no need to get personal, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

I can't figure any of this cluster of crap over water out, any conversation with anyone about it ends with them saying they are gonna pay and that its enevitable yet it always starts out with cracking up over the charges. Any conversation with the older generation has them telling me how sick they are of hearing people say water has been free when for years they have been paying for it through various taxes and now no rebate or its the opposite where they just say let the goernment do thier job and remove the tinfoil hats. I get that water should be paid for, I get the government needs to scrape cash from somewhere, but now after reading countless info I'm just more confused. I personaly dont think metered water is the answer and if it is we should follow other EU countries and wipe the tax elsewhere because from the limited bits I know we (as in Ireland not individual stories) are getting charged at least twice.

It looks to me like the vast majority of people are entering into contracts with Irish water and going to pay their bills whilst others are hitting the roof. I'm stuck now as the landlord wants to know what the story is. Is the 'free' allowance of 30,000 litres per household OR per adult living there. For example if there is three of us in the house do only one supply a pps and sign up then the rest pay the bill so 30,000 litres 3 peeps pay over that usage. OR do we all apply meaning a bigger allowance and then pay over? Its confusing as feck.

The other option is to not pay and not enter a contract but that will not only cause a rift with the landlord, it would probably lead to a someone else will pay so get out scenario ha ha

Seriously though, wouldn't direct taxation and water remaining the states been a better option.
    As someone with very little interest in politics and the workings of governments this has made my head spin, its also getting me informed to the point of havibg an opinion of my own for next voting duties which I guess can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

The "protest" in Dundalk is being organised by republican paramilitaries. They are calling it a protest against an anti working class initiative. Which is a bit ironic since most of these characters haven't ever troubled a workplace much with their presence. And they would not be very attractive prospects for any employer looking to hire. Their contempt for law and order and democracy is plain to see in this diatribe. No wonder then that some very dodgy people, well known to the Gardai over the years are to be seen whenever they invade local estates. I would have to surmise that criminals are also involved with these protests in Dublin and elsewhere.

If the owners of private property who go out to earn a living are really putting their faith in this rabble then I despair for the future of politics.

Ha Ha,no need for people to be seen protesting with the paramilitaries,the working class,the unemployed,the characters,the dodgy people or the criminals.
    To protest against Irish Water all you need is
    a)IW application pack
    b)Bin/Fire

Throw a into b
    Job done

Ha Ha,no need for people to be seen protesting with the paramilitaries,the working class,the unemployed,the characters,the dodgy people or the criminals.
    a)IW application pack
    b)Bin/Fire

Throw a into b
    Job done

Make sure to remove your name and address before it goes in the bin. There are criminals out there going through bins to commit identity fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

a)IW application pack
    b)Bin/Fire

Throw a into b
    Job done

As has been said , you'll be charged irregardless , the pack is an application for allowances... You're binning / Burning your free water.. good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Danonino. wrote: »
    I can't figure any of this cluster of crap over water out, any conversation with anyone about it ends with them saying they are gonna pay and that its enevitable yet it always starts out with cracking up over the charges. Any conversation with the older generation has them telling me how sick they are of hearing people say water has been free when for years they have been paying for it through various taxes and now no rebate or its the opposite where they just say let the goernment do thier job and remove the tinfoil hats. I get that water should be paid for, I get the government needs to scrape cash from somewhere, but now after reading countless info I'm just more confused. I personaly dont think metered water is the answer and if it is we should follow other EU countries and wipe the tax elsewhere because from the limited bits I know we (as in Ireland not individual stories) are getting charged at least twice.

It looks to me like the vast majority of people are entering into contracts with Irish water and going to pay their bills whilst others are hitting the roof. I'm stuck now as the landlord wants to know what the story is. Is the 'free' allowance of 30,000 litres per household OR per adult living there. For example if there is three of us in the house do only one supply a pps and sign up then the rest pay the bill so 30,000 litres 3 peeps pay over that usage. OR do we all apply meaning a bigger allowance and then pay over? Its confusing as feck.

The other option is to not pay and not enter a contract but that will not only cause a rift with the landlord, it would probably lead to a someone else will pay so get out scenario ha ha

Seriously though, wouldn't direct taxation and water remaining the states been a better option.
    As someone with very little interest in politics and the workings of governments this has made my head spin, its also getting me informed to the point of havibg an opinion of my own for next voting duties which I guess can only be a good thing.

You'r problem is the landlord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Time will tell about how many will willingly fill in the Irish water forms and how many that won,t-one thing to bear in mind when the property tax was brought in, there used to be weekly updates on x amount registering and signing the forms each week, however there are no weekly updates on how many of the Irish water forms have being registered and fully filled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is it really that hard to use the mega thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057249879&page=211

sorry i missed it lol :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I hope Kersplat doesn't see this!
    I can just about imagine the veins about to pop on his forehead :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i tink i might barf in me bog water from now on.... hell wash me teef wiv it as well :) - now all i need is to plumb the 4" waste from me bog to a 1/2" copper pipe to the taps - do any builders merchants do any converters and fittings for doing that? ... no, i must say I actually left the tap running while i was brushing me teeth this morning and though i will have to get out of all that soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I

s. Is the 'free' allowance of 30,000 litres per household OR per adult living there. For example if there is three of us in the house do only one supply a pps and sign up then the rest pay the bill so 30,000 litres 3 peeps pay over that usage. OR do we all apply meaning a bigger allowance and then pay over? Its confusing as feck.

30,000 litres per household.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,433 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Citizens engaging with politics and the policy-making process - wonderful, we need more of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Smidge wrote: »
    I hope Kersplat doesn't see this!
    I can just about imagine the veins about to pop on his forehead :eek::D

Stressed Eric :P

I give up!

Geuze wrote: »
    30,000 litres per household.

So in theory we only need one pps number then state how many are in the house? Would it be out of the question to ask a landlord to apply on our behalf (his wife or someone) and we then pay the bill as it arrives? I don't fancy signing up to Irish water and relying on 3 people to consistently pay the bills, we have an electricity bill which I am currently in credit on but the two others owe cash on, this I don't mind as its in the landlords name not mine, they can't forcibly take the money and a landlord has leases and deposits for a reason. Edit: I should also say that I had a very bad time in the past with people refusing to pay a bill in my name meaning I had to chase them down relentlessly. I'm talking 700+ or more >:(

I don't like the idea of a company having my pps number as by the looks of it they could very easily become privately owned, would be like airtricity having the ability to take money from wage packets/social payments. I personally wouldn't mind that but I would if its two other adults debt being sucked from my earnings which sounds like a possibility here. Unless Irish water are dividing the bills dependant on who has supplied pps numbers in the house?

It's all a bit mental. I apologise if it makes no sense too. Also if I'm misinformed any help to clear this would be awesome :)
    Pretty much renting a house, three people, landlord said we need to sort the charges out and that we need to pay for what we use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

S.O wrote: »
    Time will tell about how many will willingly fill in the Irish water forms and how many that won,t-one thing to bear in mind when the property tax was brought in, there used to be weekly updates on x amount registering and signing the forms each week, however there are no weekly updates on how many of the Irish water forms have being registered and fully filled in.

If you don't fill it in, you will be charged anyway. I have two kids, I would be throwing away 40k liters of free water.

No household gets away . All we can hope for is a drastic change in government or a massive public objection . Wont happen in Ireland though.

So in theory we only need one pps number then state how many are in the house? Would it be out of the question to ask a landlord to apply on our behalf (his wife or someone) and we then pay the bill as it arrives? I don't fancy signing up to Irish water and relying on 3 people to consistently pay the bills, we have an electricity bill which I am currently in credit on but the two others owe cash on, this I don't mind as its in the landlords name not mine, they can't forcibly take the money and a landlord has leases and deposits for a reason.

I don't like the idea of a company having my pps number as by the looks of it they could very easily become privately owned, would be like airtricity having the ability to take money from wage packets/social payments. I personally wouldn't mind that but I would if its two other adults debt being sucked from my earnings which sounds like a possibility here. Unless Irish water are dividing the bills dependant on who has supplied pps numbers in the house?

It's all a bit mental. I apologise if it makes no sense too.

There is some information on Moneyguide, their interpretation of what is happening rather than Irish Water's. Although you could look at Irish Water's Frequently Asked Questions section also. Just one thing. Your landlord should have requested all the tenant's PPS numbers in order to register the tenancy. Did he ask for yours?

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges

There is some information on Moneyguide, their interpretation of what is happening rather than Irish Water's. Although you could look at Irish Water's Frequently Asked Questions section also. Just one thing. Your landlord should have requested all the tenant's PPS numbers in order to register the tenancy. Did he ask for yours?

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges

Yes when I was out of work we sorted out registering me so i could apply for rent allowance etc as i only grab 3 days a week since then. I would have gave him my pps during all that yeah :) he's a lovely guy and honestly its just Irish water that has me confused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Yes when I was out of work we sorted out registering me so i could apply for rent allowance etc as i only grab 3 days a week since then. I would have gave him my pps during all that yeah :) he's a lovely guy and honestly its just Irish water that has me confused.

There is also a property forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

That seems to have people who know about landlord tenant contracts, there is a sticky for water charges, might be worth asking there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Still banging on about this are you?
    The bailout deal states that Irish assets are to be sold in order to pay off debt.
    The infrastructure will remain in the control of the state and the money gouging part will be sold to the highest bidder.
    That's the plan, your betters in Europe have spoken.

But you have nothing at all to support these predictions.
    EazyD wrote: »

It's an opinion piece.
    You don't honestly believe that our taxes are going to be reduced accordingly do you?

I'm willing to wait and see rather than start committing random acts of violence based on the possibility it might not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

If you don't fill it in, you will be charged anyway. I have two kids, I would be throwing away 40k liters of free water.

No household gets away . All we can hope for is a drastic change in government or a massive public objection . Wont happen in Ireland though.

If a good per % of people don,t sign the Irish water forms, then a good portion of public are objecting to the water charges, if they had good figures so far for numbers signing in their forms they would be after realising the figures for the amount of proper actual returns.

If a good per % of people don,t sign the Irish water forms, then a good portion of public are objecting to the water charges, if they had good figures so far for numbers signing in their forms they would be after realising the figures for the amount of proper actual returns.

No , then a good portion of the public are objecting to free allowances .

The bills will be sent out in January , irregardless of whether the pack (Allowance form) was returned

If a good percentage of people sign the Irish Water form, then a good portion of the public are going to get their water allowance. It doesn't mean that some of them do not object to water charges. It just means they won't have to pay as much as if they didn't sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

papu wrote: »
    No , then a good portion of the public are objecting to free allowances .

The bills will be sent out in January , irregardless of whether the pack (Allowance form) was returned

The allowances are not "free"

And they only want your PPS no so they can take the water charge from your wages, welfare, pension etc when the allowances disappear and the price of water sky rockets

hju6 wrote: »

And they only want your PPS no so they can take the water charge from your wages, welfare, pension etc when the allowances disappear and the price of water sky rockets

What ever way you want to look at it.

IW have said bills will be issued , and the bills will be pursued as any other unpaid service . Nobody has said anything about it being taken out of wages and welfare. Or can you back these claims up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Have you any proof of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

More nonsense. If they ever got the ability to deduct at source then they'd also have to be given access to pps information anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Have you any proof of this?

It will happen when it's sold off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement