Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

can the pack be filled out and sent back with the PPS number witheld?
    this is what im going to do, they havnt got a leg to stand on not giving the household allowance without PPS, child allowance they will deny but id prefer them not having my familys PPS numbers.
    It can but only via registered post.
    sorry, dont mean to be a tool, but what have PPS numbers to do with registered postal of application forms for IW?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

FFS AH, maybe I missed all these kinda posts, I havent read through each page and just seen this thread tonight, but wheres all the anarchistic posts of breaking up the meters/tampering with them, supplying your own water supply from somewhere?!
    I mean, maybe Im wrong or maybe its just me, but are we really all going to give in and agree to pay it even before the bills even come out?!
    Weve got a few more months to make our voices heard, mightnt work, but may as well give it our best shot!

Water is a basic human need, there is no need for this stupid yet another tax only to make more money for the government and banks to be bailed out of a mess of their own making, legally they cannot cut you off on water!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    FFS AH, maybe I missed all these kinda posts, I havent read through each page and just seen this thread tonight, but wheres all the anarchistic posts of breaking up the meters/tampering with them, supplying your own water supply from somewhere?!
    I mean, maybe Im wrong or maybe its just me, but are we really all going to give in and agree to pay it even before the bills even come out?!
    Weve got a few more months to make our voices heard, mightnt work, but may as well give it our best shot!

Water is a basic human need, there is no need for this stupid yet another tax only to make more money for the government and banks to be bailed out of a mess of their own making, legally they cannot cut you off on water!

Nicely articulated argument. Any chance you'd share your suggestions for an alternative way to raise the money that's needed to balance the books?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Plates wrote: »
    Nicely articulated argument. Any chance you'd share your suggestions for an alternative way to raise the money that's needed to balance the books?

Start selling tinfoil hats maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

But, but, but..... I thought it was all about protecting our most valuable natural resource, and trying to conserve it?

Nothing to do with balancing the books, because raising taxes would do just that.
    Essien wrote: »

That's just a lazy half arsed, (failed miserably at) sarcastic reply.

The poster your attempting to mock made no reference to a conspiracy theory (which I believe your tinfoil hat jibe was directed at) .

Fail. Must try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Essien wrote: »

Should be a good market for them along with "Down with this sort of thing" protest signs.

Lots of food for thought at the link below for the "No Contract No Consent" merchants:

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/10/03/no-contract-no-consent/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

That's just a lazy half arsed, (failed miserably at) sarcastic reply.

The poster your attempting to mock made no reference to a conspiracy theory (which I believe your tinfoil hat jibe was directed at) .

Fail. Must try harder.

It wasn't aimed at her at all. I was just 'sarcastically' pointing out that there's an emerging market of conspiracy theorists in Ireland that could be capitalised upon.

There's actually more truth in that than you'd expect tbh. People are already taking advantage of those gullible enough to believe we're caught up in a big conspiracy. But that's nothing to do with Irish Water, and there's a thread dedicated to them in Legal Discussion.

Also, apologies to Candy Gal if I offended you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

Rather than reduce USC, keep it where it is? Indeed I don't know about others but I for one would be happy to pay an extra twenty a month in tax as it would be proportionate to my income. Most importantly the poor would pay less.

Have you read through the thread, quite a few people, myself included have made a number of suggestions and how we can pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Rather than reduce USC, keep it where it is? Indeed I don't know about others but I for one would be happy to pay an extra twenty a month in tax would be proportionate to my income. Most importantly the poor would pay less.

Have you read through the thread, quite a few people, myself included have made a number of suggestions and how we can pay for water.

Those people are not here to agree to alternative ideas. They are mostly the very same ones who argued in favour of HHC and property taxes using the same balance the book arguments, put downs, evasive answers, scare mongering and attempts to shame anyone who was going against the governments wishes by putting them in the conspiracy theorist group or scrounger category.

Keep an eye on it, when the time comes for another tax, charge or increase in either of the two you will see the same few in action all over again with the same tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

zerks wrote: »
    A PPS number is a very valuable commodity for IW,that number basically has every bit of info about you attached to it.The selling of such info is big business these days and with a shedload of PPS numbers IW hold the keys to the kingdom.

A PPS number is just a number unless you have access to a govt data base which contains all the information associated with that number. Does Irish water have unrestricted access to such a database or do they request a govt agency to verify basic info like name, address and date of birth?

• Advertisement

Hijpo wrote: »
    Those people are not here to agree to alternative ideas. They are mostly the very same ones who argued in favour of HHC and property taxes using the same balance the book arguments, put downs, evasive answers, scare mongering and attempts to shame anyone who was going against the governments wishes by putting them in the conspiracy theorist group or scrounger category.

Keep an eye on it, when the time comes for another tax, charge or increase in either of the two you will see the same few in action all over again with the same tactics.

Unless of course the coalition now, are in opposition then.

Remember Enda thought it was morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a person's home?

Labour even opposed a water tax in their pre election manifest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Just a note for anyone who has not received their Application Pack yet.

There is no need to be concerned. Please call 1890 448448 and one will be sent to you. You are still in plenty of time to register before the end of October.

A PPS number is just a number unless you have access to a govt data base which contains all the information associated with that number. Does Irish water have unrestricted access to such a database or do they request a govt agency to verify basic info like name, address and date of birth?

Post yours up on this thread then. Sure its just a number after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I regard the following as scare mongering. IW is going to be privatised. The price of water is going to skyrocket. Your PPS number is going to be sold on. People who are not customers of IW are going to be forced to become customers. The Gardai are being used as a private security force.

All of these claims have been made here. If anyone can provide real evidence I will withdraw my accusation of scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

I live in my fathers house yet the package was sent out in my name. Where did Irish Water get my name from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

My understanding is that IW doesn't have direct access to other PPSN data and that they will share it with the DSP who will verify that it qualifies for a water allowance (the allowance is funded by the state, so I guess its the DSP who ultimately have to verify that the PPS number is entitled to a water allowance).
    IW wrote:
    PPS Numbers will only be used to verify and validate that customers are entitled to any relevant water allowances and will only be shared with the Department of Social Protection for this verification purpose. PPS Numbers will not be shared with any other organisation other than the Department of Social Protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It is not scaremongering to say the following. If you do not sign up you will not get the allowance, which will mean higher bills. If you do not sign up you will still get a bill. If you do not give your PPS number you will not get the allowance, which will mean higher bills. If you do not pay the bill the legislation allows for supply to be restricted. If you do not pay the bill the legislation allows for the debt to be pursued in the usual way.

If anyone can supply real evidence that any of the above is not correct I will concede that I am scaremongering.

It is not scaremongering to say the following. If you do not sign up you will not get the allowance, which will mean higher bills. If you do not sign up you will still get a bill. If you do not give your PPS number you will not get the allowance, which will mean higher bills. If you do not pay the bill the legislation allows for supply to be restricted. If you do not pay the bill the legislation allows for the debt to be pursued in the usual way.

If anyone can supply real evidence that any of the above is not correct I will concede that I am scaremongering.

No that is indeed not scare mongering.
    It reads very well and sounds like a perfectly reasonable system designed to collect money in a modern civilised society. It has been well devised and, despite the rumpus on its introduction where a portion of society looks for spurious reasons to try to weasel out of paying their share, will ensure, in the end, that everyone pays their due for water.
    Well played IW.

Hmm!

30m5ov8.jpg

Poll shows only 10% of people will pay water charges

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-will-you-pay-your-water-charge-bill-1267009-Jan2014/

Thousands of Irish water packs sent back as return to sender

30m5ov8.jpg

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-will-you-pay-your-water-charge-bill-1267009-Jan2014/

Nice to know I'm in good company! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Do you think that poll is representative of the Irish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It's getting a little tired. People who disagree with you and support a system based on paying for what you use instead of paying for an overgenerous welfare system do not automatically support FG. I'm pretty sure an admin has already stated that if anyone has a shred of evidence to support a claim that there are government shills here then they will take it very seriously and investigate it. So far you haven't posted anything to back up your claims.

There's been plenty of answers that were not evasive, put downs, scaremongering or shaming but in true far left fashion you have ignored that which does not suit you. The legal nonsense that has been spouted by the anti-IW side has been completely disassembled on the Legal Discussion forum with posters from there also posting here. The violent and thuggish behaviour by the "protesters" has been condemned by only a few anti-water charge posters with most saying the Gardaí are responsable merely by their presence.

If you want to debate the issues then do so but give up the tired nonsense of trying to imply everyone who disagrees with you is a blue shirt or government shill. It's lazy and ineffective.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Do you think that poll is representative of the Irish people?

Considering the amount of forms that have been returned unopened - what do you think? :)

An online poll in the Journal :pac:

Hmm!

30m5ov8.jpg

Shows what the Journal, or its readers know.
    Remember all those people who weren't going to pay their property tax ?

Considering the amount of forms that have been returned unopened - what do you think? :)

How many forms have been returned unopened?

Phoebas wrote: »
    An online poll in the Journal :pac:

Isnt the Journal owned by boards.ie?

Shows what the Journal, or its readers know.
    Remember all those people who weren't going to pay their property tax ?

Yes I do remember those people, problem was the government allowed revenue to go into peoples wages, welfare to collect those charges regardless of someones view.

Cant do that with water charges!

Isnt the Journal owned by boards.ie?

No.

They share the same parent.

• Advertisement

Cant do that with water charges!

yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement