Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

this chrage has nothing to do with wastage it all about getting more money off people just like the Communication tax that is coming in all cos RTE want more money.

If you want to live in a society with things such as a SW, Health, Education, Roads, Water, Communications, etc, then it has to be paid for through either direct or indirect taxation.

Some people seem genuinely surprised at this concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

If you want to live in a society with things such as a SW, Health, Education, Roads, Water, Communications, etc, then it has to be paid for through either direct or indirect taxation.

Possibly because we're already being paying for water through tax. Not enough yes of course.

Honestly the message should have been that our water infrastructure has been under funded and Irish Water as a separate company is the best way to deal with our water infrastructure rather than raise tax again or have a water tax.

But yeah keep on with the "you expect to get water for free?" rubbish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

But shouldnt one get quality for what one pays for?
    All of the above are shambolic despite the economic boom we once enjoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Ah but surely we should have a utopian society where everyone gets everything they want for free and paying taxes are only for those countries that aren't as advanced as ourselves and who haven't copped on to the fact that all the above services can be provided for free if the will is there.

Where there is a will there is a way should be the slogan of this society, free houses, water, healthcare and education for all, no more taxes ever.

But shouldnt one get quality for what one pays for?
    All of the above are shambolic despite the economic boom we once enjoyed.

Well remove the investment put into them during the past 20 years and what state would they then be in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

I can see where Health Education Roads come to play,

but Communications ? paying a TV Licence of 160 euro a year fine. but why should people who dont own a TV should be hit by this Communication tax all because RTE over pay there Staff.. here is a great idea sell RTE to a Private company and let them get hit with the bill so if people want to own a TV let the TV Licence stand at 160 euro and that will go into the Goverments pocket.

Health, Education, Roads and Water is coming out of my Weekly Tax Deducations already with USC and PAYE. also i pay for Health Insurance aswell. so any Hostipal visits i go to is all private so i end up paying for my Health double the amount a person going public would end up pay for but then again that is my choice

Education you have to pay 3500 per year for College fees, i dont know how much it cost to put a Child through Primary School or Secondy School.

Daith wrote: »
    Honestly the message should have been that our water infrastructure has been under funded and Irish Water as a separate company is the best way to deal with our water infrastructure rather than raise tax again or have a water tax.

Nope, the simple message should have been 'we're borrowing billions of euro every year to fund the current services we provide and we need to start raising some additional revenue so we'll be having a water charge and property tax'.

I would have collected it all to a central fund and not bothered with the little sideshow of trying to link them into specific funding areas.

Nope, the simple message should have been 'we're borrowing billions of euro every year to fund the current services we provide and we need to start raising some additional revenue so we'll be having a water charge and property tax'.

Are you saying no tax money is spent on our water infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I can see where Health Education Roads come to play,

but Communications ? paying a TV Licence of 160 euro a year fine. but why should people who dont own a TV should be hit by this Communication tax all because RTE over pay there Staff.. here is a great idea sell RTE to a Private company and let them get hit with the bill so if people want to own a TV let the TV Licence stand at 160 euro and that will go into the Goverments pocket.

Health, Education, Roads and Water is coming out of my Weekly Tax Deducations already with USC and PAYE. also i pay for Health Insurance aswell. so any Hostipal visits i go to is all private so i end up paying for my Health double the amount a person going public would end up pay for but then again that is my choice

Education you have to pay 3500 per year for College fees, i dont know how much it cost to put a Child through Primary School or Secondy School.

Are you paying this?

Are you saying no tax money is spent on our water infrastructure?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying :rolleyes:

Er yes? So Irish people pay tax and some of this went to our water infrastructure. So I don't get your post here.

Er yes? So Irish people pay tax and some of this went to our water infrastructure. So I don't get your post here.

Given we're having to borrow money every year, I would have thought it reasonably self-evident that although we pay tax, we don't pay enough.

Given we're having to borrow money every year, I would have thought it reasonably self-evident that although we pay tax, we don't pay enough.

Yes I said that.
    Possibly because we're already being paying for water through tax. Not enough yes of course.

I'm just pointing out the usual "You think you get water for free" argument is rubbish basically. :rolleyes:

Are you paying this?

No i dont own a TV

No i dont own a TV

Cool

Could you point me to ANYONE who is paying this charge?

Cool

Could you point me to ANYONE who is paying this charge?

what Charge are we talking about ? the TV licence or this new incoming Tax called Communication tax to tackle this black hole called RTE ? that every household will have to pay for it

what Charge are we talking about ? the TV licence or this new incoming Tax called Communication tax to tackle this black hole called RTE ? that every household will have to pay for it

This,

Can you point me towards anyone paying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Communication tax wont be announced until the budget. But we've been told it's coming.

smash wrote: »
    Communication tax wont be announced until the budget. But we've been told it's coming.

Well the fact you both can't even get the name of the broadcasting tax right tells me you must have done a lot of research on it :rolleyes:

Well the fact you both can't even get the name of the broadcasting tax right tells me you must have done a lot of research on it :rolleyes:

I knew what she was talking about, but so did you. No need to be so pedantic about it.

• Advertisement

I did do my research on this. ever one know its in the pipe work. sorry i forgot we are in a well respected Fourm where every thing we submit most have 100% proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

geeksauce wrote: »
    Banjo a simple solution for you is to not give them your PPS Number don't get any allowances and pay the full amount, that way this whole issue can be avoided. The same goes for anyone else that doesn't wish to give them PPS numbers simply don't do it, couldn't be easier.

Thanks.

I'll bare that in mind.
    You seem to quote the Data Protection Act a bit yet have no issues with Irish Water getting your PPS Number from the Department of Social Protection which to me would probably be a clear and blatant breach of your rights under the Data Protection Act. I was under the impression that the act is in place to ensure Data held by agencies can't be shared willy nilly with all and sundry.

I think you should read back through the thread tbh.
    So quoting the Data Protection Act and then saying they should get the PPS numbers from the DSP is a bit of a contradiction.

Again. Read back through the thread, especially the part copied from Irish Water, and what they want people to give consent for ref your details (including your pps number) and who they reserve the right to pass it on to.

Did you jump the gun, or purposely misread what is on the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Are there really so few people who are concerned about the fact that there will be an organisation that will have a data base of the residential location every PPS number resident in Ireland?

For my household I have no problem giving them my PPS number as the person responsible for the payment bill but beyond that they can feck off!

Thanks.

I'll bare that in mind.

I think you should read back through the thread tbh.

Again. Read back through the thread, especially the part copied from Irish Water, and what they want people to give consent for ref your details (including your pps number) and who they reserve the right to pass it on to.

Did you jump the gun, or purposely misread what is on the thread.

Oh no I read the thread and in particular the part where you are moaning about data protection and then saying that IW should just get your details from DSP which is a clear contradiction to what you were moaning about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I did do my research on this. ever one know its in the pipe work. sorry i forgot we are in a well respected Fourm where every thing we submit most have 100% proof.

Your research may have shown you the evasion rate for the TV licence. I think it will be a good thing to bring these people into the fold if that is what is going to happen. If they had paid over the years it might have kept the fee down a bit for everyone.

REXER wrote: »
    Are there really so few people who are concerned about the fact that there will be an organisation that will have a data base of the residential location every PPS number resident in Ireland?

For my household I have no problem giving them my PPS number as the person responsible for the payment bill but beyond that they can feck off!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest tbh, who cares if an organisation knows where I live especially one providing me with a service as essential as water.

Your research may have shown you the evasion rate for the TV licence. I think it will be a good thing to bring these people into the fold if that is what is going to happen. If they had paid over the years it might have kept the fee down a bit for everyone.

That would never happen. Even if there was 100% compliance, RTE would still be hemorrhaging. They pay stupid amounts for presenters and not enough for quality production.

REXER wrote: »

Irish Water may share the Customer’s data with agents or third parties who act on behalf of Irish Water in connection with the activities referred to above. Such agents or third parties are only permitted to use the Customer’s data as instructed by Irish Water.

So the likes of Abtran will get your PPS Number god knows what they could do with it or an Angry Staff memeber could sell your data onto 3rd party agents, which had happen before with MBNA numbers being Leaked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Oh no I read the thread and in particular the part where you are moaning about data protection and then saying that IW should just get your details from DSP which is a clear contradiction to what you were moaning about.

Care to quote me, and if possible any quotes I may have been responding to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

smash wrote: »
    That would never happen. Even if there was 100% compliance, RTE would still be hemorrhaging. They pay stupid amounts for presenters and not enough for quality production.

It went up from €158 to the present €160 6 years ago. It has gone up by €8 in the last 10 years. Those are not massive increases and if 20% more of the population had been paying all along I think they could have been avoided.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement