Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Daith wrote: »
    221 pages in and still being asked.....

You don't really expect everyone to read all 221 pages before posting, do you? That's quite an undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

zerks wrote: »
    Spotted the ad for IW on tv,the line in it "we MAY need your pps number" is interesting,they "may need" it.Does this imply that it's actually not essential on the form.
    You don't have to give your PPSN to IW. Only if you want to claim the free government allowance.
    Anyhow,within days of meters being fitted in my area,we had a rep call door to door asking how many adults & kids lived at the addresses.
    Sounds like someone was trying to scam you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Phoebas wrote: »
    You don't have to give your PPSN to IW. Only if you want to claim the free government allowance.

The allowance is not "free"
    It's in exchange for your PPS no
    And yes it's a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

..And you really think your tax will go down proportionately once these charges are introduced? By your own reasoning you'll be paying for the same thing twice.

I saw what you said and addressed it in my last post to you however this point has come up several times. These charges are in addition to, and not instead of your income tax - allow us to claim the off tax then maybe we can talk again.

Probably not straight away. The country is still in financial difficulty, but it will take a burden off the exchequer and local councils which should be noticeable. It's a long term plan that will benefit the country and those who contribute to it. If, in a couple of years, my tax burden hasn't been reduced or they try to sell off Irish Water or some other nonsense then I will object.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I can't for the life of me understand why some people come on to this thread to ask serious questions, usually about who is responsible to pay for water in a landlord tenant scenario. Apart from the fact that a brand new system is being set up about which nobody could be an expert, this forum is the last place to expect to get sensible advice. Much of what is put up here is essentially Freeman nonsense, don't sign up don't pay because we are paying twice etc.

There is a thread in Accomodation and Property which at a glance has a more sensible approach to the landlord tenant thing. It would probably be a better place to go instead of AH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300852

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I can't for the life of me understand why some people come on to this thread to ask serious questions, usually about who is responsible to pay for water in a landlord tenant scenario. Apart from the fact that a brand new system is being set up about which nobody could be an expert, this forum is the last place to expect to get sensible advice. Much of what is put up here is essentially Freeman nonsense, don't sign up don't pay because we are paying twice etc.

There is a thread in Accomodation and Property which at a glance has a more sensible approach to the landlord tenant thing. It would probably be a better place to go instead of AH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057300852

The title :) ?

Anyway, you have a fair point. Thanks for the link

Probably not straight away. The country is still in financial difficulty, but it will take a burden off the exchequer and local councils which should be noticeable. It's a long term plan that will benefit the country and those who contribute to it. If, in a couple of years, my tax burden hasn't been reduced or they try to sell off Irish Water or some other nonsense then I will object.

WHAT!:eek:

Enda said the setting up of Irish water was to improve the quality and infrastructure!

Next you will be telling me that property tax isn't for local Authorities and is used to set up some new money extracting company with gyms!

WHAT!:eek:

Enda said the setting up of Irish water was to improve the quality and infrastructure!

Next you will be telling me that property tax isn't for local Authorities and is used to set up some new money extracting company with gyms!

It will improve quality and infrastructure by being controlled at a more organised national level. You seem to have difficulty with the concept that there can be more than one reason for doing something.

It will improve quality and infrastructure by being controlled at a more organised national level. You seem to have difficulty with the concept that there can be more than one reason for doing something.

The government is elected and paid by us to look after the infrastructure of the country

Not some private monopoly

hju6 wrote: »
    The government is elected and paid by us to look after the infrastructure of the country

which is wholly owned by the government.

• Advertisement

Why are we changing the way we supply water services in Ireland?

Water is one of our most valuable resources. It has shaped our landscape, dictated the location of our towns and cities, protected our health, and fuelled our economic development.

However, clean water is expensive to both produce and manage. There is a complex process involved in turning raw water into clean drinking water, and treating wastewater so that it can be reintroduced back into our environment.

Our current funding model is simply not sustainable.

Despite the good work of the Local Authorities, much greater investment nationally is needed to address weaknesses in the water system, including high leakage rates, varying quality standards, and disruptions to supply.

Ireland is currently the only country in the OECD that does not have domestic water charges. This transition will ensure that Ireland is well positioned to attract foreign and indigenous investment, creating real potential for new jobs within the country.

http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/about-irish-water/

This again?

Its like groundhog day around here except Bill Murray keeps forgetting what he was told yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Ok. I'll head out now, conduct a poll and report back to you later. :D
    I did a poll yesterday.
    100% of those surveyed said they will pay their water charges.

You won't see that in the journal

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More news from the war front in Dundalk. Looks like there is a spy in the RNU camp. Their concern about criminality is touching.

http://www.republicanunity.org/rnu-dundalk-warn-of-possible-state-agent-undermining-of-anti-water-meter-protests/

The Republican Network for Unity in Dundalk have warned republican and anti austerity activists currently involved in anti water meter protests to be aware of the possibility of state agent involvement in the creation of disunity and mistrust between activists and residents in the town.

We have been approached by a number of residents who were concerned that a known local criminal masquerading as a republican has turned up to at least one protest while other anti republican elements have been behind the demonisation of our movement in a whispering campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

No,they had official IW id card. The only info they wanted was the number of inhabitants.
    Obviously sending out forms requesting PPS numbers is more efficient.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    I did a poll yesterday.
    100% of those surveyed said they will pay their water charges.

You won't see that in the journal

Because they don't accept polls from someone that has asked themself only.

Because they don't accept polls from someone that has asked themself only.
    I asked a lot more than just me. 100% compliance.

Only 25% have actually returned their IW forms. 25% have said they will do it on Monday. 50% have done it online.

Another poll I did, showed that 90%, think the guards are showing too much restraint in dealing with thuggish behaviour of the protesters.

Tellingly, another poll showed that only 10% of people think that Joan Burton is an animal. I suspect these people were referring to erotic dreams they had of Joan.

Mind you I saw a poll on a facebook page, where out of 50 people polled, 98.5% said they would not pay their water charges. I don't think the poller was very good at Maths.

No,they had official IW id card. The only info they wanted was the number of inhabitants.
    Obviously sending out forms requesting PPS numbers is more efficient.

I very much doubt that IW officials are going door to door asking people how many adults and children there are in the house.

You're either making this up or someone was trying to scam you. My bet is on the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Daith

UCDVet wrote: »
    You don't really expect everyone to read all 221 pages before posting, do you? That's quite an undertaking.

Doesn't actually matter. They could read all 221 pages, be part of of the topic since day one and still ask the same question! :)

I asked a lot more than just me. 100% compliance.

Only 25% have actually returned their IW forms. 25% have said they will do it on Monday. 50% have done it online.

Another poll I did, showed that 90%, think the guards are showing too much restraint in dealing with thuggish behaviour of the protesters.

Tellingly, another poll showed that only 10% of people think that Joan Burton is an animal. I suspect these people were referring to erotic dreams they had of Joan.

Mind you I saw a poll on a facebook page, where out of 50 people polled, 98.5% said they would not pay their water charges. I don't think the poller was very good at Maths.

In fairness You need to get out there and ask the general public. Only one sided polls would get 100% in their favour!

• Advertisement

In fairness You need to get out there and ask the general public. Only one sided polls would get 100% in their favour!

:pac:

If you want to ignore the online evidence of non compliance, why not go out and conduct your own poll.

If you want to ignore the online evidence of compliance why don't you go out and conduct your own poll?

Why is there not a poll on boards.ie ?

Why is there not a poll on boards.ie ?

Why don't you create one?

If you want to ignore the online evidence of compliance why don't you go out and conduct your own poll?

Where is this online evidence of compliance?

:pac:

Maths my dear, 90% is not 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

With the new water charges, is there any point in keeping the bath in the house? You would need a small mortgage to run it on a regular basis, is it time to move it along and replace with a shower?
    Would people buy a house without one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I dunno, there's something about lying in your own filth that just makes my week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I think anyone with small children or those intending to have children would prefer a bath.
    People who do a lot of sports like horse riding would see the benifit in baths.
    I think most estate agents would counsel against getting rid of the bath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A power shower can use more than a bath if on for more than ten minutes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement