Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ilovemyusername

The last poll I seen on the journal had 'yes' to pay at 10%is this the poll?

It has 'yes' at 34% now and 'no' at 49% and 'I'll decide when the bill comes' at 16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

There's a poll on the Journal website I can't post the link because I'm a new user.

Can't believe the amount of people voting yes though, it's shocking. I spend enough money on bottled water already because we can't drink the muck that comes out of our taps ha!

You may have to get used to that muck. The Ombudsman has something to say about it today.

"Irish Water took over responsibility for water services from local councils last January 1. Before the change, people who were unhappy with their water service could complain to their local council, and if they didn't manage to resolve the issue, they could come to my office. However, unlike local councils, Irish Water is not in my jurisdiction. Water users have lost their statutory right to independent redress."

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/irish-water-your-rights-to-complain-have-gone-30638858.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Irish Water is a quango though, it qualifies on all aspects of being a quango as I shown you the other day on this very thread.
    As it is trying to affect everyone in the country, that makes it a super quango.
    The trough is quite a common expression when it comes to the money pot that PS, CS and semi state expect to be continually filled to keep them as one of the highest paid groups of public workers in the EU, even though the country is running a massive deficit,
    It's all quite basic stuff this you know.......

I think you will find that IW is a semi state company.

http://www.water.ie/about-us/company/about-irish-water/

Incorporated in July 2013, as a semi-state company under the Water Services Act 2013, Irish Water will bring the water and wastewater services of the 34 Local Authorities together under one national service provider.

Cattle class is also quite a common colloqual expression. But I didn't realise that business class got you there quicker than cattle class. 12 hours to Australia is impressive.

I am aware of the colloqual use of trough which you apply ad nauseam. Is there any need to rinse and repeat it so often though?

Satriale wrote: »
    You may have to get used to that muck. The Ombudsman has something to say about it today.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/irish-water-your-rights-to-complain-have-gone-30638858.html

Do we really have to rinse and repeat this. When it was new news a few days ago I asked why it should be necessary to get another quango involved, when there is an independent regulator already in place for the energy and water sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Do we really have to rinse and repeat this. When it was new news a few days ago I asked why it should be necessary to get another quango involved, when there is an independent regulator already in place for the energy and water sector.

Is there anything at all, even one point about irish water that you are not prepared to defend?

Are they simply perfect in your eyes?

• Advertisement

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Is there anything at all, even one point about irish water that you are not prepared to defend?

As Mao said about the effects of the French Revolution, it is to soon to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Phoebas wrote: »
    :confused:

IF we start using less water in an effort to reduce how much we pay IW and conserve water, the price for water will simply go up as IW have a certain amount they need to raise regardless of how much water is used

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Is that the "independent" regulator that has its commissioners appointed by a department within government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

eeepaulo wrote: »

Those who benefit from it will find nothing wrong with it.
    As long as the cash is there.....

Is that the "independent" regulator that has its commissioners appointed by a department within government?

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    IF we start using less water in an effort to reduce how much we pay IW and conserve water, the price for water will simply go up as IW have a certain amount they need to raise regardless of how much water is used

At the risk of rinsing and repeating myself that argument has been done to death in the thread. Give your evidence that this plan is in place. Nobody else who made the claim previously could do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Read the article DX. IW entered into a "voluntary agreement" with the CER. Since when has self regulation ever worked in this country? (i'm not going to mention the obvious).

They can pass laws for every little fiddle faddle in this country, why not the right to ask for and recieve clean drinking water?

"Irish Water: your rights to complain have gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Quick question regarding the water charges. I live in Dundrum and fairly regularly when I run the cold tap there would be a coppery colour in it until i left it running for a couple of minutes.

This got me thinking. When I buy a bottle of water in the shop it gives a break down of its mineral content.

Would I be entitled to write to Irish water and ask them what exactly is in the water coming through my tap considering I am paying for it?

Hijpo wrote: »

Who appoints the head of the Ombudsman quango? Here's a clue.

The Irish Ombudsman is appointed by the Irish President following nomination by both Houses of the Oireachtas (the Irish parliament).

Who appoints the head of the Ombudsman quango? Here's a clue.

The Irish Ombudsman is appointed by the Irish President following nomination by both Houses of the Oireachtas (the Irish parliament).

So the government recommend a friend and the gremlin signs off, wonderful.

Who appointes the commissioners of CER that set the water rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Would I be entitled to write to Irish water and ask them what exactly is in the water coming through my tap considering I am paying for it?

The water would be leaving the treatment plant after being testing and passing the standards that all water in Ireland must achieve.It's picking up the extras along the way , and they'd have no way of know what these are without performing analysis of your sample from the tap. Which is something I doubt they do. as every household in the country would want it done.

So the government recommend a friend and the gremlin signs off, wonderful.

Who appointes the commissioners of CER that set the water rates?

What system would you recommend?

papu wrote: »
    The water would be leaving the treatment plant after being testing and passing the standards that all water in Ireland must achieve.It's picking up the extras along the way , and they'd have no way of know what these are without performing analysis of your sample from the tap. Which is something I doubt they do. as every household in the country would want it done.

I'm not paying for every other householf in the country. I'm paying for what comes through my tap.

As as I'm paying for it surely I'm entitled to know exactly what i'm paying for?

Answering a question with a question. Don't have me badger you to answer my second question.

Answering a question with a question. Don't have me badger you to answer my second question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

There's a poll on the Journal website I can't post the link because I'm a new user.

Can't believe the amount of people voting yes though, it's shocking. I spend enough money on bottled water already because we can't drink the muck that comes out of our taps ha!

Is this the one?

http://www.thejournal.ie/water-charges-poll-1706943-Oct2014/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I'm not paying for every other householf in the country. I'm paying for what comes through my tap.

As as I'm paying for it surely I'm entitled to know exactly what i'm paying for?

Plenty of flouride in it for starter's

Very similar to making a claim and when asked to back it with evidence telling the questioner to do their own research to prove it.

When you give me the evidence you have of the badgering you alleged was going on, I will discuss this newer matter. I think that is fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

As Mao said about the effects of the French Revolution, it is to soon to judge.

So you think everything they do is unquestionable until when?

Do you think it is sensible to have oversight?

This quote is from the ombudsman, they have entered a voluntary agreement with the CER.
    Since I first raised this issue, Irish Water and the Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) have entered into a voluntary agreement. This will allow consumers to approach the regulator if they are not happy with the way Irish Water deals with their complaint. Details of the agreement were put on the CER's website on Wednesday, just a couple of hours before I appeared in front of an Oireachtas Committee at which I was due to raise the subject. The voluntary agreement is better than nothing at all, but is not a substitute for a statutory independent redress scheme, and there are limitations on what it can achieve for water users.

The point of an ombudsman is you go to them when the company does not provide an adequate response, the ombudsman then has the power to compel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Haven't started paying for anything yet.
    I'd ask IW , but I'd be very surprised if they actually performed analysis of your water..

Very similar to making a claim and when asked to back it with evidence telling the questioner to do their own research to prove it.

When you give me the evidence you have of the badgering you alleged was going on, I will discuss this newer matter. I think that is fair.

There is no point finding evidence to prove of bagering when you don't know what bagering is which you admitted previously.

On you go and answer the question, is it true that the "insependent regulator" depends on a government department to a appoint the commissioners that set the rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ilovemyusername

Is this the one?

Yes that's the one!

papu wrote: »
    Haven't started paying for anything yet.
    I'd ask IW , but I'd be very surprised if they actually performed analysis of your water..

Metered water kicked in the 1st October. Whilst I haven't handed over any money as of yet I have started to pay for it.

There is no point finding evidence to prove of bagering when you don't know what bagering is which you admitted previously.

On you go and answer the question, is it true that the "insependent regulator" depends on a government department to a appoint the commissioners that set the rates?

Choose any dictionary and get the defintion of badgering. Then come back to me with extracts from a few posts where you saw badgering. I don't want you to go beyond what you had already researched yesterday, two or three of those example will do.

• Advertisement

Choose any dictionary and get the defintion of badgering. Then come back to me with extracts from a few posts where you saw badgering. I don't want you to go beyond what you had already researched yesterday, two or three of those example will do.

My understanding of badgering is not the issue, you admitted previously you didn't know what it was. Which is strange as you continually use over complicated words in your posts giving the impression your some what educated. Perhaps its a facade, who knows.

Anyway I will accept that your reluctance to answer the very IW relevant question means that it is true that the government department appoint the lads they trust with increasing water charges on the "independent" regulatory commission that set the rates.

Moving on...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement