Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

At the risk of rinsing and repeating myself that argument has been done to death in the thread. Give your evidence that this plan is in place. Nobody else who made the claim previously could do so.

Here ya go

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-will-be-allowed-raise-prices-every-year-29798831.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

VinLieger wrote: »

No, that is from last year. Things have moved on and prices are set until the end of 2016. The Regulator has to approve any request from IW to change their prices. He/she can refuse or vary such requests. Could be a new government in place before 2017 anyway who will abolish IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No, that is from last year. Things have moved on and prices are set until the end of 2016. The Regulator has to approve any request from IW to change their prices. He/she can refuse or vary such requests. Could be a new government in place before 2017 anyway who will abolish IW.

Fair enough, noted, however it would have been a lot easier if you having that knowledge already simply stated that in the reply to my original post but whatever

Wow, 11 billion worth of infrastructure that we are putting in the hands of John Poolbeg Tierney. The "96 million dollar man".

• Advertisement

Fair enough, noted, however it would have been a lot easier if you having that knowledge already simply stated that in the reply to my original post but whatever

Fair enough.

IF we start using less water in an effort to reduce how much we pay IW and conserve water, the price for water will simply go up as IW have a certain amount they need to raise regardless of how much water is used

But when you posted the above you should have given your source. Unfortunately some other posters have made up stuff like this from the top of their heads (in my opinion anyway) and unless they are challenged some others take what they read as being factual. I know now that you were not just making it up and you were using the Indo as the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭dixiedan

That poll is a bit funny. I have been able to vote twice (albeit on 2 different devices..it may be relevant ) , once to say yes, once to say no. Tomorrow I may say I'll decide when the bill comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I read the story, but I've no idea how anyone would know it was fake unless I had some idea of how badly manufactured it was.

It's like a counterfeit note, some are obviously fake, some are almost fool proof.

Any fool can see that the Facebook post that SF passed off as coming from Paul Murphy was very suspect.

An election candidate openly admitting he is scared of his political opponent = Red Flag.
    An election candidate openly admitting that he doesn't actually believe in his own policies = Red Flag.
    An election candidate openly admitting that he thinks he will lose the election be is currently fighting = Red Flag.

Mary Lou either knew this was a forgery or she is a fool. I don't think Mary Lou is a fool.
    Why am I scared of Sinn Fein? It's politics Jason, I know Sinn Fein may block water charges if they are elected, but I'm not a member of Sinn Fein so politics kicks in and I say what I have to in order to gain support!
    To be honest I know I probably won't get elected but I have to give it a good shot, you understand that yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Quick question regarding the water charges. I live in Dundrum and fairly regularly when I run the cold tap there would be a coppery colour in it until i left it running for a couple of minutes.

This got me thinking. When I buy a bottle of water in the shop it gives a break down of its mineral content.

Would I be entitled to write to Irish water and ask them what exactly is in the water coming through my tap considering I am paying for it?

Not really. It's not a reasonable request to make of a mains water supply system versus a container of water at the level of precision you are implying.

They will give a reasonable approximation based on where the water comes from (which varies) and the pipe system. Not only that, it could be the piping on your property that causes the coloration. Since IW is new, results for Water is still per council. However IW provide a link here to find out more.

It's €1.25 for 2 litres of Ballygown in your local Tesco.
    It's less then €0.02 for 2 Litres of Irish Water. That's after your free allowance.

dixiedan wrote: »
    That poll is a bit funny. I have been able to vote twice (albeit on 2 different devices..it may be relevant ) , once to say yes, once to say no. Tomorrow I may say I'll decide when the bill comes.

Funny you say that, i voted no earlier and realised it was the same poll i had voted on yesterday(no as well, same device).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Satriale wrote: »
    Wow, 11 billion worth of infrastructure that we are putting in the hands of John Poolbeg Tierney. The "96 million dollar man".

Is that the same John 'Super Dump' Tierney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Anyway, it seems that this thread is going absolutely nowhere, same arguments against, same petty replies from the ones who benefit the most, PS,CS and semi-state, in return.
    We will see no improvement in water services and the money gouging arm of this super quango will be sold on in due time as instructed by the IMF/ECB to pay down debt.
    That's just the way it is I suppose. I'll not be participating further in this scam by handing over my money or on this thread by arguing with the usual trough swillers.
    Good day to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Anyway, it seems that this thread is going absolutely nowhere, same arguments against, same petty replies from the ones who benefit the most, PS,CS and semi-state, in return.
    We will see no improvement in water services and the money gouging arm of this super quango will be sold on in due time as instructed by the IMF/ECB to pay down debt.
    That's just the way it is I suppose. I'll not be participating further in this scam by handing over my money or on this thread by arguing with the usual trough swillers.
    Good day to you all.

In fairness, does *any* thread on Boards.ie *ever* go somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

UCDVet wrote: »
    In fairness, does *any* thread on Boards.ie *ever* go somewhere?

Posters who refer to those they are debating with as 'trough swillers' aren't really interested in going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

micosoft wrote: »
    Not really. It's not a reasonable request to make of a mains water supply system versus a container of water at the level of precision you are implying.

They will give a reasonable approximation based on where the water comes from (which varies) and the pipe system. Not only that, it could be the piping on your property that causes the coloration. Since IW is new, results for Water is still per council. However IW provide a link here to find out more.

It's €1.25 for 2 litres of Ballygown in your local Tesco.
    It's less then €0.02 for 2 Litres of Irish Water. That's after your free allowance.

There's no free allowance FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

hju6 wrote: »
    There's no free allowance FFS

http://www.environ.ie/en/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,37945,en.pdf
    lul whut?
    Frequently Asked Questions on Government decisions on free allowance and water charges

papu wrote: »

It's in exchange for your PPS No
    Therefore not free

DUH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

It's in exchange for your PPS No
    Therefore not free

DUH!!

Where does it say that on the document I posted?
    Where does it say on any official document that the free allowance is given in exchange for your pps number?

PPS numbers aside, its not free anyway. It's paid for by adding the cost onto the entire userbase. Free is just a marketing word meaning we'll charge another customer.

papu wrote: »
    Where does it say that on the document I posted?
    Where does it say on any official document that the allowance is given in exchange for your pps number?

So it's just an allowance now

No PPS no on the form = no allowance

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    PPS numbers aside, its not free anyway. It's paid for by adding the cost onto the entire userbase. Free is just a marketing word meaning we'll charge another customer.

IW will be funded by the tax payer until 2017

So the allowance is still being paid for
    After 2017 expect a large hike in prices

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

IW will be funded by the tax payer until 2017

So the allowance is still being paid for
    After 2017 expect a large hike in prices

Nah, it will be long bankrupted by then. Either that or a combination of bankrupt and statutorily dis-established.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Nah, it will be long bankrupted by then. Either that or a combination of bankrupt and statutorily dis-established.

That will be disappointing for whoever drew up these capital investment plans.

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/Proposed-Capital-Investment-Plan-2014-2016.pdf

That will be disappointing for whoever drew up these capital investment plans.

http://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/Proposed-Capital-Investment-Plan-2014-2016.pdf

Very and totally,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Very and totally,

Dont worry, Tierney I'll know what to do when the arse falls out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think were getting off fairly lightly here. My parents spend half the year in France and if they lived there full time they'd be paying about 100 quid a month for water, and that's just for 2 of them.

MadYaker wrote: »
    I think were getting off fairly lightly here. My parents spend half the year in France and if they lived there full time they'd be paying about 100 quid a month for water, and that's just for 2 of them.

Which is more expensive overall for them

France or Ireland ?

Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Living fulltime France would definitely be more expensive. They pay waaay more taxes than we do here. But they get services in return for it, we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

It's actually €180 million...so far.. plus 'tax non dom's' contract, supposed to be north of €1 billion.
    What, exactly, have we got for our money there?

sfa, but they folks on here full time to get the torys point of view across must be on some few bob, so someone is getting something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Good day to you all.

now ned, are you conceding victory to the paid posters, they become rather happy when dissenting voices are shut up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement