Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Care to quote me, and if possible any quotes I may have been responding to?

Not really now no, you know you were moaning about the Data Protection Act its back on page 20 I think. I don't see any need to quote you to show you what you said as you should remember saying it.

Anyway are you now saying you don't have any problems with giving IW your PPSN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

geeksauce wrote: »
    Not really now no, you know you were moaning about the Data Protection Act its back on page 20 I think. I don't see any need to quote you to show you what you said as you should remember saying it.

Ok fair enough, must've said it so.
    geeksauce wrote: »
    Anyway are you now saying you don't have any problems with giving IW your PPSN?

No.

Ok fair enough, must've said it so.

No.

No? But you don't have a problem with them obtaining your PPSN from the DSP?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

REXER wrote: »
    Are there really so few people who are concerned about the fact that there will be an organisation that will have a data base of the residential location every PPS number resident in Ireland?
    You mean like Revenue or DOSW?

Getting into tinfoil hat territory here.

seamus wrote: »

tin_foil_hat.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Giving your PPS number to Irish Water means that Phil Hogan will be able to see you when you touch yourself at night.

Giving your PPS number to Irish Water means that Phil Hogan will be able to see you when you touch yourself at night.

Apparently, (now this comes from a very reliable source within the ivory tower of IW) they are going to be planting GPS trackers in each households water supply and will be activated once swallowed by the individual but only if they get your PPSN so that is why they are pretending to give people 'free allowances' in return for your PPSN.

I don't know what exactly they are going to do once they can track us but I imagine they will be sharing that information with whoever wants it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Your research may have shown you the evasion rate for the TV licence. I think it will be a good thing to bring these people into the fold if that is what is going to happen. If they had paid over the years it might have kept the fee down a bit for everyone.

lols
    How much did car tax come down when they caught all the "3 months on /3 months off" loopholers?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

It went up from €158 to the present €160 6 years ago. It has gone up by €8 in the last 10 years. Those are not massive increases and if 20% more of the population had been paying all along I think they could have been avoided.

If RTE salary Capped there Staff, we wouldn't need this broadcasting Tax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I was out in the front garden last week when this fella in a hi viz and hard hat takes a photo of my house (presumably with me in the garden). "It's ok" he says "I'm with Irish Water, just getting are record of what houses are completed [with meters]". I asked him why did he take a picture of the house and not the meter. He says all details will go into a central database same as the property tax info. So I'm assuming not only will they know who lives where, they have a photo of that house. Very Big Brothery in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Plazaman wrote: »
    I was out in the front garden last week when this fella in a hi viz and hard hat takes a photo of my house (presumably with me in the garden). "It's ok" he says "I'm with Irish Water, just getting are record of what houses are completed [with meters]". I asked him why did he take a picture of the house and not the meter. He says all details will go into a central database same as the property tax info. So I'm assuming not only will they know who lives where, they have a photo of that house. Very Big Brothery in my opinion.

Most houses are on Google Maps anyway, those that aren't have planning permission applications available for anyone to look at which would give a pretty good indication of the house anyway so I don't see an issue with them having a photo of my house.

If I ever have issues with my supply and they need to come to my house to fix it, it'll save me having to describe the house to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If RTE salary Capped there Staff, we wouldn't need this broadcasting Tax

You're naive to think that any form of asset or economic activity will escape taxation or charge. There has been a broadcasting charge since 1926 and it is common practice around the world. Ireland is very unusual in that two of the things which are common around the world property tax and water charges are now only being introduced here.

So I'm assuming not only will they know who lives where, they have a photo of that house. Very Big Brothery in my opinion.
    My God! That means they could look at your house any time they wanted!

Oh no, wait. It's a fncking photo.

The conspiracy theories are getting more and more barmy all the time.

Chances are this is primarily for the contractor to document their work so if a house appears to have no meter later on, they'll have the photo of the house to cross-check and verify that it was installed there. As said above, it may also be used for ID purposes, so if there's confusion over which house they're calling to, they can pull up a photo of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You should paint your door a different colour, That'll confuse the ****ers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

seamus wrote: »

Not even close, those are state departments, that will not be sold off to fund short term political gains or to fund bribery of the electorate.

IW will be sold off and as has been pointed out several times and that will go with the confidential details of all involved. :eek: (If that data has not already been compromised by that point!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not even close, those are state departments, that will not be sold off to fund short term political gains or to fund bribery of the electorate.

IW will be sold off and as has been pointed out several times and that will go with the confidential details of all involved. :eek: (If that data has not already been compromised by that point!)

And you have solid evidence of this of course?

You're naive to think that any form of asset or economic activity will escape taxation or charge. There has been a broadcasting charge since 1926 and it is common practice around the world. Ireland is very unusual in that two of the things which are common around the world property tax and water charges are now only being introduced here.

Yes that is only for people who own a "TV"
    I dont Own a TV so Why should i pay for the Likes of Ryan Tubridy ? dont listen to RTE either on the Radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Ireland is very unusual in that two of the things which are common around the world property tax and water charges are now only being introduced here.

This is incorrect, the yarn and excuse we were fed for years, is that our taxation rates are higher because, they included these two charges.

Even if that happens, it's hardly anything earth shattering. You do deal with banks and other utilities, right?
    Private businesses who all hold massive amounts of your personal information. Why is IW suddenly the one to worry about?

Someone could do far more damage to your identity with access to your mobile phone account than they could with your IW account and PPSN.

EunanMac wrote: »
    This is incorrect, the yarn and excuse we were fed for years, is that our taxation rates are higher because, they included these two charges.

The result of a vote buying exercise in 1977. It has proved to be unsustainable. A broader tax base, not just depending on income tax and VAT makes more economic sense.

• Advertisement

The result of a vote buying exercise in 1977. It has proved to be unsustainable. A broader tax base, not just depending on income tax and VAT makes more economic sense.

Actually it was very sustainable up to the point ordinary taxpayers were forced to pay off billionaires private gambling and speculation debts for the next 30+ years, while they retain their lifestyles and wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

This is simply not true. Ireland has an exceptionally low personal tax rate by international standards.

http://www.tasc.ie/download/pdf/tasc_how_much_tax_do_people_pay_on_their_incomes.pdf

Please note Tasc is not a right wing or conservative think tank, but rather a left leaning or liberal one.

Actually it was very sustainable up to the point ordinary taxpayers were forced to pay off billionaires private gambling and speculation debts for the next 30+ years, while they retain their lifestyles and wealth.

Why then did previous governments try to bring in property tax and water charges in the 1990's? And Motor Tax which was also abolished in 1977 was reintroduced. And you might recall that one of the first results of the reliance on Income Tax was the great PAYE marches. If someone has a house with no mortgage and they are getting a State pension I don't see why they should not contribute to the tax base instead of just putting everything on the shoulders of the workers. They are getting water services etc just like someone paying income tax. That is just an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Yes that is only for people who own a "TV"
    I dont Own a TV so Why should i pay for the Likes of Ryan Tubridy ? dont listen to RTE either on the Radio.
    So you shouldn't have to pay for Education if you don't have children?
    You shouldn't have to pay for Social Welfare if you're not unemployed?
    You shouldn't have to pay for Health if you haven't been sick?

That's not how society or the taxation system works.

So you shouldn't have to pay for Education if you don't have children?
    You shouldn't have to pay for Social Welfare if you're not unemployed?
    You shouldn't have to pay for Health if you haven't been sick?

That's not how society or the taxation system works.

what has me not owning a TV got to do with RTE ?
    if you want a TV and are happy to pay RTE 160 euros a year then be my guest but if RTE is a So called Free-To-Air Broadcasting Station why is it not on any of the Free-to-Air Boxes that you can buy in Aldi but yet BBC is available?
    and second point Social Welfare payment is done on how many Stamps i have earned while working

Health is what i pay for on USC and PRSI Tax and if i do get sick i have to pay, 100 euro for the A&E 50 for the Doctor, 70 euros a night if i need to stay in.
    Education i pay tax well again PAYE , plus you pay per child to send to school.

For a Country that Prides it self on Low Commercial tax for American Companies it sure knows how to rides its people

what has me not owning a TV got to do with RTE ?

You're the one who brought it up - you tell me.
    if you want a TV and are happy to pay RTE 160 euros a year then be my guest but if RTE is a So called Free-To-Air Broadcasting Station why is it not on any of the Free-to-Air Boxes that you can buy in Aldi but yet BBC is available?

Becasue RTE isn't broadcast off the Freesat platform - which is what these LIDL and ALDI boxes decode.
    Buy a saorview compatable box if you want RTE
    and second point Social Welfare payment is done on how many Stamps i have earned while working

Health is what i pay for on USC and PRSI Tax and if i do get sick i have to pay, 100 euro for the A&E 50 for the Doctor, 70 euros a night if i need to stay in.
    Education i pay tax well again PAYE , plus you pay per child to send to school.

For a Country that Prides it self on Low Commercial tax for American Companies it sure knows how to rides its people

None of that was a point, just a rant which didn't make any sense.

Why then did previous governments try to bring in property tax and water charges in the 1990's? And Motor Tax which was also abolished in 1977 was reintroduced. And you might recall that one of the first results of the reliance on Income Tax was the great PAYE marches. If someone has a house with no mortgage and they are getting a State pension I don't see why they should not contribute to the tax base instead of just putting everything on the shoulders of the workers. They are getting water services etc just like someone paying income tax. That is just an example.

You've missed the point, either people should pay water charges directly, or they should pay them through general taxation, not both.

You've missed the point, either people should pay water charges directly, or they should pay them through general taxation, not both.

Why not.

Why not.

Do you pay twice for everything ?

• Advertisement

Do you pay twice for everything ?

no, what's that got to do with funding something through 2 forms of taxation?:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement