Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

The easiest way to strangle Irish Water is also the laziest way too.

Do. Nothing.

Don't fill in their forms, don't take any notice of their bills.

Being denied revenue will quickly make them insolvent, and will bring them down.

The Govt made it too easy. Shouldve just increased taxes, they could have got Revenue to mop up the slops then.

Oh yeah good idea, get the taxpayers to pay for the water of the SW recipients, that'd be really fair :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,115 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Geuze wrote: »
    It costs 1.2bn to run the treatment plants for water and waster water.

Previously the central Govt gave grants to the 34 councils to cover the cost.

Now they will give less grants, and instead people will pay direct charges.

So Govt spending will fall, slightly.

As a result, the State will borrow less.

You would think that alright, wouldn't you?

But no, the Councils are doing exactly what they were before as regards water, and will continue to do it under a service level agreement with Irish Water for the next 12 YEARS!!

There is neither an efficiency nor an economy in creating Irish Water. It is just an extra layer of poxy bureaucracy that the charges are going towards funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

geeksauce wrote: »
    Oh yeah good idea, get the taxpayers to pay for the water of the SW recipients, that'd be really fair :rolleyes:

Wait a minute.

Won't we be doing that anyway?

Unless they are expected to pay from their other income sources, but if they're on the social.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

True.

The principle of centralised control should drive efficiencies.
    However IW was created with chronic union deference.

The huge overstaffing & overlapping responsibility can't be made redundant.
    Union rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That's their fear tactics. Seems to be working on you.
    But...
    What he/she is saying is accurate at the moment.
    Things will change when they realise the sh1t storm they have created.

So, not 'fear tactics' at all then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Ilovemyusername

If everyone ignored the forms, bills and refused to pay they could hardly bring everyone to court.

There was a woman from Irish Water on the Ray Darcy Show on the radio a few weeks ago, he asked her what would happen if someone refused to pay and she basically said they don't have the same rights as other companies to shut off the supply or to bring people to court.

A lot of people just cannot afford to pay it, some who are more well off might not understand that and simply comply to pay it but I think people will actually take a stand this time and refuse!

If everyone ignored the forms, bills and refused to pay they could hardly bring everyone to court.
    I guess next week's big protest should be a litmus test.

If they get more than 100k protesters out on the streets then the water charges are in trouble.
    Any less that 10k and the protesters are a complete failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Phoebas wrote: »
    I guess next week's big protest should be a litmus test.

If they get more than 100k protesters out on the streets then the water charges are in trouble.
    Any less that 10k and the protesters are a complete failure.

I cant see 100k showing up.

I doubt the streets are the answer here, the dustbin is. It's telling that IW wont release signup figures, sounds to me like they havent even got a number that they could credibly talk up on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Our letting agent has told us if we dont send the application pack back by the 31st then they will take €500 from our deposit. At first they said €300, then a week later, we hadnt even contacted them about it, they suddenly sent email saying theyll take €500 instead.

Is this legal? :confused:

Satriale wrote: »
    I cant see 100k showing up.

I doubt the streets are the answer here, the dustbin is. It's telling that IW wont release signup figures, sounds to me like they havent even got a number that they could credibly talk up on the media.
    In order for Water Charges to be defeated at this late stage in the game, the opposition need three things: mass non-compliance, people on the streets and political backing.

As far as I can see it, the only non fringe party who have even hinted at reversing the water charges are SF and even they aren't really activly organising on the issue, so that's not a great start. The only protesters so far have been fringe groups carrying out sometimes very suspect protests. And we won't really know what the compliance figures are going to be until bills start hitting the doormats, but its hard to imagine that this number is going to be pivotal unless they can see a real anti water charges campaign emerging.

The Campaign Against Household and Water Charges seems to have died a death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The Indos article yesterday that had a report, a survey that Irish water themselves claimed, only 1 in 5 intended not to pay a water charge, didn't tally with their own online survey it seems.

Comical to say the least.

Wishful thinking Irish Water.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Our letting agent has told us if we dont send the application pack back by the 31st then they will take €500 from our deposit. At first they said €300, then a week later, we hadnt even contacted them about it, they suddenly sent email saying theyll take €500 instead.

I don't think its specifically illegal.
    However its extremely bad form.

I'd be inclined to reduce the next rent accordingly & let them pursue you via the ptrb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I don't think its specifically illegal.
    However its extremely bad form.

I'd be inclined to reduce the next rent accordingly & let them pursue you via the ptrb.

that definitely is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

turnikett1 wrote: »

Citizens advice offer legal aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Phoebas wrote: »
    But...

So, not 'fear tactics' at all then!

What? It is fear tactics which are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

What? It is fear tactics which are true.

You won't lose any allowance. You just won't get one without applying for it. Do you have a similar issue with the Lotto's "If you're not in you can't win."

Satriale wrote: »
    that definitely is illegal.

Quid pro quo.

A landlord arbitrarily taking €500 from a tennant to cover water without the Tennant being allowed to have their allowance.

Quid pro quo.

A landlord arbitrarily taking €500 from a tennant to cover water without the Tennant being allowed to have their allowance.

The rental market is a landlords paradise at the moment.

The law of the jungle applies,no doubt.

Quid pro quo.

I'm all for an eye for an eye, i'm just pointing out that it is illegal and may go against him at the PTRB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The easiest way to strangle Irish Water is also the laziest way too.

Do. Nothing.

Don't fill in their forms, don't take any notice of their bills.

Being denied revenue will quickly make them insolvent, and will bring them down.

The Govt made it too easy. Shouldve just increased taxes, they could have got Revenue to mop up the slops then.

There an idea no sure it would work but might be worth exploring...
    Fill in the forms using local FG/LABOUR TD'S name and put their office/address down in the section for different billing address.

Ps Also would tie/ slow down Irish Water, Instead of just binning letters mark No Consent...No Contract without having to open them.. They would have to open them all and check the contents .Nightmare if its done on mass.

Phoenix wrote: »
    also is it true TDs are exempt from paying water charges on a second home?
    No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

They will have to pay on their second residence for sure.

They tried to get away with it, but they didn't succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

You won't lose any allowance. You just won't get one without applying for it. Do you have a similar issue with the Lotto's "If you're not in you can't win."

Pedantic much? The level of childish comebacks on this thread are ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Pedantic much? The level of childish comebacks on this thread are ridiculous.

It's not pedantic. You're presenting it as some kind of threat to take away your water allowance if you don't register. It's not. You apply for a water allowance and they give you one based on the makeup of your household. If you don't give the info, they can't calculate the allowance.

I was born in Dublin City

Brought up with cabbages and bacon

If you think I'll pay your water charges

By Jaysus your mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I hope ye all will be attending this. http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/anti-water-charges-protest-due-for-dublin-on-october-11th-1.1949285

What ever you think of IW, No one wants to pay more austerity tax . At least no person of sound mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I suspect a huge majority of us all will send a message to the government showing our support for the water charges by not attending the demonstration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Geuze wrote: »
    I think you mean increase income taxes instead of metered charges?

No, I mean a flat tax that every body will pay, something like people will pay now if they don't have any meters installed. If they did something like they did with the Property tax, and brought revenue on board they would have saved themselves a whole load of hassle and not wasted endless money on the setting up and running of Irish Water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

97 houses in my estate and only I HAVE NOT RECEIVED APPLICATION PACK :D Im chosen one to have FREE WATER :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement