Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Wow I would say your are a barrel of laughs at a party.

Well i'm not at a party. I'm on a discussion thread. Is that all you've got to offer? Well, that's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Danonino. wrote: »
    What I'd like to see is the breakdown of those savings, I'd gamble that the vast majority of the savings belong to a small minority of... well.. the elite I guess.

You can add my €9.52 to the list ha ha damn payday couldn't be further.

Don't gamble. There are plenty of statistics you can research. Would you also think that a small elite manage to drink €6.3 billion worth of alcohol every year as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Wurly wrote: »
    To br honest, I think we are in agreement here. We are just voicing it in a different way. Or have I missed something? :)

It's OK, I know were you'r coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Don't gamble. There are plenty of statistics you can research. Would you also think that a small elite manage to drink €6.3 billion worth of alcohol every year as well?

Well, yes tbh.

We pay among the highest prices for alcohol in the EU.

Wasn't their an article recently that had our wine as the most taxed in Europe (though I believe some poster said it was actually Norway)

To put it another way.

A pint in Algarve in some bars is a euro.
    In Dublin, it can be upwards of 6 euro.

If the VFI (for example) produced a report that the average Portuguese male spent only €6 on beer a week, but the average Irish male spent €24 per week.....

The report on the Irish man's spending could be extremely misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not satisfied with putting their (our) money in the Banks and the Post Office the elite are flooding the Credit Unions as well. How many of these buggers are there anyway?

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/news/2014/title,8608,en.php

Savings at the end of June 2014 were €10.7 billion, up €222 million or 2.1% year on year. Savings were up €71 million for the last quarter (April - June 2014), with some 288 credit unions reporting savings growth for the full year to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Not satisfied with putting their (our) money in the Banks and the Post Office the elite are flooding the Credit Unions as well. How many of these buggers are there anyway?

Savings at the end of June 2014 were €10.7 billion, up €222 million or 2.1% year on year. Savings were up €71 million for the last quarter (April - June 2014), with some 288 credit unions reporting savings growth for the full year to date.
    I would have credited you with more intelligence than this tbh.

My life savings are in the credit union. That doesn't mean that I have any burning a hole in my pocket. This is the money that will see my sons through college - or as far as it lasts. Other ordinary people save in the C.U for the cars that take them to work and other needs. That new washing machine or cooker. Portraying these meagre amounts as some indication that the ordinary person is doing well is just petty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I would have credited you with more intelligence than this tbh.

My life savings are in the credit union. That doesn't mean that I have any burning a hole in my pocket. This is the money that will see my sons through college - or as far as it lasts. Other ordinary people save in the C.U for the cars that take them to work and other needs. That new washing machine or cooker. Portraying these meagre amounts as some indication that the ordinary person is doing well is just petty.

I think you have misunderstood what the poster means by 'elite'. He/she is talking about the super rich that rule the world. Not ordinary people like you and me with our savings in the CU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Wurly wrote: »
    I think you have misunderstood what the poster means by 'elite'. He/she is talking about the super rich that rule the world. Not ordinary people like you and me with our savings in the CU.
    My mistake so and I apologise. I thought it was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I haven't ever, not once ever claimed that water doesn't cost money to process to make it safe for drinking, and delivered to and from our homes.

What I am saying is that it has been paid for from the central funds up until now, we pay extra motor tax (that doesn't go on the roads apparently) income tax(that doesn't cover local services, health and now water either apparently) now we're being told we must pay for it directly, after our income has been taxed.

Where is the money previously allocated to water now been redirected to, what will that now be paying For?

What will come down in lieu of the water now being paid for directly? Will our vat rate drop, will motor tax be reduced? Income tax?

Very doubtful, and all the while it'll continue to pour down on our country filling our reservoirs to bursting point.

And the more we conserve, the more it will cost to use.

The piper must be paid. Never forget.

Here is a thought, maybe its going towards plugging the billions of dept that Ireland is accumulating every year to run the country?

Not that I agree they are going the right way about it right now.

I have to wonder why they are forcing the installation of water meters on residents who clearly don't want water meters installed. This is bringing the worse publicity on the whole debacle. Surely IW should just leave any residents who don't want a meter installed alone instead of causing so much confrontation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have to wonder why they are forcing the installation of water meters on residents who clearly don't want water meters installed. This is bringing the worse publicity on the whole debacle. Surely IW should just leave any residents who don't want a meter installed alone instead of causing so much confrontation.

Just cut them off is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Just cut them off is it?

they dont cut them off, they adjust the water throughput so that a household has a reduced service. This measure is easily overcome if you attach a pump to the water in-let and suck the water through to your house at a greater rate, your water supply will regain normal flow.

Just cut them off is it?

Where did i say that? Stop making out im saying something that i did not say!
    All im saying is the people who dont want meters installed are probably not going to pay the tax anyway so why make such a big deal out of forcing them to have meters

Calm down lads, makes perfect if people don't want to pay for water cut the supply off.

Cant go to the petrol station in the morning and say to the attendant i dont want to pay but still want to fill up.

Calm down lads, makes perfect if people don't want to pay for water cut the supply off.

Cant go to the petrol station in the morning and say to the attendant i dont want to pay but still want to fill up.

You dont need petrol to live

Afraid they cant do that Arthur, water is a basic human right, this is why the supply is reduced if you refuse to pay, not cut off.

ps. If you went to Topaz and filled up without paying, you could argue that you were within your rights.

pps. Im very calm...

It a hard one to figure out, so if john and mary dont pay their water bill their pressure gets reduced. What is to stop them now to be filling the bath flat out or stock piling and selling on water to the neighbours at a knock down rate.
    Will 5 gallon drums of water be the new hot seller at car boot sales?

It a hard one to figure out, so if john and mary dont pay their water bill their pressure gets reduced. What is to stop them now to be filling the bath flat out or stock piling and selling on water to the neighbours at a knock down rate.
    Will 5 gallon drums of water be the new hot seller at car boot sales?

well, as I was saying in the earlier post.. its not a big job to attach a pump to the water mains in-let, which would suck the water into your house at a greater rate.. everything back to normal...happy days :) (plus its free...)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You dont need petrol to live
    Which, I presume, is why an allowance exists. You'd be doing well to drink 30 m^3 in a year. Or even a few % of that.

well, as I was saying in the earlier post.. its not a big job to attach a pump to the water mains in-let, which would suck the water into your house at a greater rate.. everything back to normal...happy days :) (plus its free...)

Even dont do that, if the basic human rights or whatever jazz legislation states that x amount of water entitled to what is every one getting their calvin kleins in a twist about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Just wondering, how long would it take for the tank in the attic to empty through normal use? And would it refill over night, or 9 hours say, with the pressure reduced?

Even dont do that, if the basic human rights or whatever jazz legislation states that x amount of water entitled to what is every one getting their calvin kleins in a twist about?

Fear of inconvenience, fear of the unknown... what if Im cut off completely? How much is a reduced rate? etc.

Another one I heard this evening, 'I hear that you could be charged double if you refuse to pay'...

its all fear.

If everyone took a step back in time and asked themselves... did our fore-fathers have running water in their homes 100 years ago? Did they manage? of course they did, Im alive today aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Fr Ned might like this quote
    Mr O'Dowd said that one of his key concerns had been that it did not become another "cosseted quango with a bonus culture".

Hijpo wrote: »
    Just wondering, how long would it take for the tank in the attic to empty through normal use? And would it refill over night, or 9 hours say, with the pressure reduced?

it would never refill over 9 hours with reduced pressure, you would need to fill it by hand.

You could investigate rain-water harvesting for the toilets in a seperate tank.

Fear of inconvenience, fear of the unknown... what if Im cut off completely? How much is a reduced rate? etc.

Another one I heard this evening, 'I hear that you could be charged double if you refuse to pay'...

its all fear.

If everyone took a step back in time and asked themselves... did our fore-fathers have running water in their homes 100 years ago? Did they manage? of course they did, Im alive today aren't I?

You said in an earlier post that water is a basic human right so what are you on about now about getting cut off or getting charged etc?

You said in an earlier post that water is a basic human right so what are you on about now about getting cut off or getting charged etc?

there are people out there that think that they will be cut off completely. This is incorrect.

In other words, there is a lot of confusion at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

it would never refill over 9 hours with reduced pressure, you would need to fill it by hand.

It would hardly empty in a day though would it?

Would an average days use refill in 9 hours with reduced flow?

Having said that, does anyone know what the reduced flow pressure will be?

How many hours do you estimate say a coffin 60 gallon?

Hijpo wrote: »
    It would hardly empty in a day though would it?

Would an average days use refill in 9 hours with reduced flow?

Having said that, does anyone know what the reduced flow pressure will be?

I dont know what the reduced flow pressure will be ( you could use a pump to increase the pressure if you connected it to the inlet)

I have emptied our tank in 15 minutes by running all the taps and flushing the toilets repeatedly.. 3 bathrooms, 4 sinks in the house.

It depends on the size of your tank.

• Advertisement

How many hours do you estimate say a coffin 60 gallon?

god knows man... seriously, you'll have to wait and see what the reduced pressure rate is. No one will die of thirst... thats for sure! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement