Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

geeksauce wrote: »
    I said generally, so there is no contradiction. Anyone voting for Sinn Fein should be sectioned imo

Oops another clanger.
    I generally think people should be entitled to vote for whomever they desire

Stop it now, before you embarrass yourself further lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

and im also refusing and protesting the point whether they like it or not.

Which as a citizen of a democratic country is your right and should be exercised if you feel the need.

Oops another clanger.

:confused:

I am confused by your posts above what is the point you are trying to make exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Oops another clanger.

I think you do not know what contradiction means. The poster has said he believes people should be able to vote for whoever they want, it doesn;t mean he has to agree with their vote.

:confused:

I am confused by your posts above what is the point you are trying to make exactly?

Ditto.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Come 2016 (or before) that'll need to be some massive big nut-house so....

Hopefully not, I shudder to think what it would be like here if Sinn Fein got into power. Thankfully I am 100% certain that will never happen, whilst I am of the opinion that the majority of people are fcuking stupid I don't think they are quite that stupid.

Ditto.

That's ok Banjo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Hopefully not, I shudder to think what it would be like here if Sinn Fein got into power. Thankfully I am 100% certain that will never happen, whilst I am of the opinion that the majority of people are fcuking stupid I don't think they are quite that stupid.

the majority voted kenny in. thats the definition of stupid right there.

The gift that keeps giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Didn't they oppose property taxes before the election (FG)?

I don't think so.

As far as I recall they were resigned to introducing both the property tax and water charges.

• Advertisement

the majority voted kenny in. thats the definition of stupid right there.

No that is the definition of not having anyone else to vote for, and in my view speaks volumes for the people of Ireland and their thoughts on Sinn Fein. A vote for Enda was a vote against Sinn Fein.

If I was Sinn Fein I would be seriously embarrassed by the fact that people voted for Enda ahead of Sinn Fein.

The gift that keeps giving.

You disagree then? Or do you just like making silly statements?

Valetta wrote: »
    I don't think so.

As far as I recall they were resigned to introducing both the property tax and water charges.

Erm, no. They didn't.

Erm, no. They didn't.

They didn't what?

Erm, no. They didn't.

until the troika got involved.

what was it kenny said? "water charges are immoral"

****Breaking News*****

Politician lies, public shocked, worlds first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Phoebas wrote: »
    So it took a while, but eventually they got someone on, right?

But you just said that they did go on Matt Cooper's show.

After a long long time of asking,even at that she didn't give the answers that Matt Cooper wanted.Stock answers that had been pre-prepared which deflected from the topic on hand.

For the info we got,IW may as well have sent the tea lady to face a grilling.

Being such a staunch supporter of Govt. policy you'd be well used to such tactics of dodging & ducking when asked probing questions.I'm sure you think IW reps are doing a great job handling the media.They deserve every penny of their bonus performance related payments.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

zerks wrote: »
    After a long long time of asking,even at that she didn't give the answers that Matt Cooper wanted.Stock answers that had been pre-prepared which deflected from the topic on hand.

For the info we got,IW may as well have sent the tea lady to face a grilling.

Being such a staunch supporter of Govt. policy you'd be well used to such tactics of dodging & ducking when asked probing questions.I'm sure you think IW reps are doing a great job handling the media.They deserve every penny of their bonus performance related payments.:rolleyes:

What answers did she not give? I'm pretty sure I heard that show and she answered all the questions she was asked about the process and the company unless she did not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

How long before one of these protesters has their house burgled and then gives out because there is no garda presence/response!!!

****Breaking News*****

Politician lies, public shocked, worlds first.

and that makes everything since ok?

• Advertisement

FG didn't have a property tax in the manifesto, they had alternatives to a property tax.

Iirc they even described a property tax (in the sense of the one now in place) as 'unfair'.

Erm, no. They didn't.

Water Charges

Proposals in Programme for Government:

The Programme proposes the creation of a new body, Irish Water, to take over responsibility from the separate local authorities for Ireland’s water infrastructure and the introduction of a fair funding model to deliver clean and reliable water. Water meters are to be installed in every household in Ireland allowing a move to a charging system that is based on use above the free allowance. This is in line with Fine Gael’s proposals in their manifesto however Labour had indicated in their manifesto that they did not favour water charges.

Property Tax

Proposals in Programme for Government:
    Consider a site valuation tax taking account of the significant number of households in mortgage distress and the need to provide local government with a reliable stream of revenue.
    Both Fine Gael and Labour had proposed a type of site valuation tax in their manifestos but only from 2014 (see below in terms of their interim proposals on property tax). In Fine Gael’s manifesto they stated that they would empower local authorities to put in place, following the 2014 local elections, fairer alternatives to recurring annual tax on the family home. The options would include:
    (a) No extra local taxes;
    (b) Increased local user charges for waste etc; or
    (c) The option of a local “site sale profits tax” on the profit made from the site value on the sale of a residence (sales proceeds, less cost indexed by inflation, less stamp duty paid and less home improvements).

Both quotes taken from http://www.taxinstitute.ie/TaxPolicyandPractice/IrishTaxPolicy/ProgrammeforGovernment.aspx

jameshayes wrote: »
    How long before one of these protesters has their house burgled and then gives out because there is no garda presence/response!!!

I would say the majority of the protesters I have seen are the ones most likely to burgle your house so they should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

whilst I am of the opinion that the majority of people are fcuking stupid

Wow.
    How on earth does anyone get so far up themselves to make a statement like that?

jameshayes wrote: »

I'd say if they tell the gards it's their water meter being robbed they'll respond in record time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What answers did she not give? I'm pretty sure I heard that show and she answered all the questions she was asked about the process and the company unless she did not know.

All I heard was the stock response to every question,it's as if she was reading them from an IW promo leaflet.The subject of PPS numbers got her into a complete fluster.

and that makes everything since ok?

No, but people being aghast at the fact a politician told a lie is pretty silly.

Why not take it from the actual manifest :confused:
    They didn't what?

I asked if they opposed property tax before the general election. (FG)

Here's an extract.
    Funding Local Government: Fianna Fail’s proposal, now endorsed by the Labour Party, to introduce by 2014 an annual, recurring residential property tax on the family home is unfair. But as we tackle the fiscal crisis, we will have to cut central exchequer funding for local authorities, and we recognise that local authorities will have to find more sustainable sources of revenue appropriate to local circumstances. What will be viewed as fair in South Dublin might be viewed as unworkable in rural Clare. 

In this context, we will empower local authorities to put in place, following the 2014 local elections, fairer alternatives to Fianna Fail’s and Labour’s recurring annual tax on the family home. The options would include: 

• No extra local taxes, forcing local authorities to close non-priority services and / or to deliver increased efficiencies; 

• Increased local user charges for waste etc.; or

• The option of a local “site sale profits tax”. Such a tax would be levied on the profit made from the site value on the sale of a residence (sales proceeds, less cost indexed by inflation, less stamp duty paid and less home improvements)

The final measure might be considered as both fairer and more economically sensible than an annual recurring property tax. Whichever option local electorates choose, for the first time since the 1970s local government will have real independence from central government in deciding what services to provide at local level and how to fund them. 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I cant understand why they didnt just put an extra standing charge into the property tax charges to cover the water charges. There'd have been far less public reaction, and they'd have saved hundreds of millions on "consulting fees", meter installation costs and engineer costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I cant understand why they didnt just put an extra standing charge into the property tax charges to cover the water charges. There'd have been far less public reaction, and they'd have saved hundreds of millions on "consulting fees", meter installation costs and engineer costs.

Or even a centralised state body, like the NRA for example.

Tbh, it won't be anytime soon, however IW will one day be sold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement